Young Concertina Players On Tv Wednesday

Hello Everyone

I had a lovely chat today with Shetland Island based Marie Hallam, who called to let me know that her concertina pupils are going to be on BBC 1 tomorrow night (Weds 11th July) at 7pm on "The ONE Show", billed as "topical reports from across the UK".

Marie says the BBC came to the primary school on Fetlar to highlight the declining population - and filmed all the local primary school pupils playing "Bobby Shaftoe" on their Jackie trebles and Jack baritone concertinas! Yes, EACH pupil plays concertina!

However, there are now only THREE pupils - the youngest now aged 8, and hence the school is threatened with closure unless more people and young families move there.

So - watch this if you can - it's always good to hear about young people playing concertina.

Marie also added that one of her pupils has recently started to learn the fiddle (fiddle and accordion being the main instruments on Shetland) and his teacher was surprised that he could read music, at which the youngster observed that he played the concertina already!

Gill N-S

I had a lovely chat today with Shetland Island based Marie Hallam, who called to let me know that her concertina pupils are going to be on BBC 1 tomorrow night (Weds 11th July) at 7pm on "The ONE Show", billed as "topical reports from across the UK".

Since I live in Denmark, I thought I'd try to see it via the internet. If there's a way, I couldn't find it. :(

Since I live in Denmark, I thought I'd try to see it via the internet. If there's a way, I couldn't find it. :(

In the next month or so the BBC are proposing to put a lot of their televised output on the Net. Sadly that won't help with this particular programme. :(

Chris

Don't bother, it was a bit of an anticlimax.

In the end, the BBC didn't show the kids playing, in fact the whole show was a bit naff and more like a daytime chatshow (I am reliably informed).

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to BBC tv being available on the internet, as their schedules are disregarded where the great god Sport is concerned, and PDC on the video is nowhere near foolproof yet.

Speaking of young concertina players, concertina is back as an

instrument at the Folkworks Durham Youth Summer School this year. The

tutor is the excelent Rob Harbron.

There is a lot of information on the FARNE website at

http://www.asaplive.com/FARNE/FolkworksCommunity.cfm?ccs=548

Please encourage any young player to consider this, no, just come!

It is hard to see how any youngster with an interest in music could fail

to enjoy the week. Read the comments from last year and you see that

this is an understatement.

Something not immediately clear from the website is that the Summer

School runs from Monday 13 August to Saturday 18 August. Youth is anyone

aged 14 to 25 but there are parallel Summer Schools for oldies like me

and for kids aged 10 to 13 although the 8-year old will have to wait for

a bit.

Send your kids to Durham this summer!

We were on Fetlar for the day on 22nd June, pity that we didn;t know anything about it then, we might have been able to meet them :( We had a concertina each with us too :huh: We did spend the evening playing back on Unst though and I was forced to sing "Cambourne Hill" as someone there only knew the chorus!

Robin Madge