The Clare Set

After much "badgering"from myself and others Neil Wayne will shortly re-issue on CD all the great recordings he and John Tams made of Irish concertina players and other musicians in the 1970's."The Clare Set" will be available in a boxed set which includes all the recordings plus previously unreleased tracks together with copius notes.The recordings will be officially launched at Eigse Mrs Crotty where Neil Wayne will give the Mrs Crotty Memorial Lecture.The CD's can also be purchased individually.They may also be available for sale during the Willie Clancy Summer School.

I will be in line for a set. I play the cassette / itunes copy I have frequently. I am looking forward to another great time at the Mrs Crotty weekend. Aside from Gerald Haugh and Tom Carey, how many of the people on this record are still with us? Will there be a chance of Gerald and Tom together in a concert setting as part of Neil's talk? I am also looking forward to the Paddy Murphy CD being released by Gearóid ÓhAllmhuráin. If we can just get a reissue of John Kelly Sr.

After much "badgering"from myself and others Neil Wayne will shortly re-issue on CD all the great recordings he and John Tams made of Irish concertina players and other musicians in the 1970's."The Clare Set" will be available in a boxed set which includes all the recordings plus previously unreleased tracks together with copius notes.The recordings will be officially launched at Eigse Mrs Crotty where Neil Wayne will give the Mrs Crotty Memorial Lecture.The CD's can also be purchased individually.They may also be available for sale during the Willie Clancy Summer School.

Thanks, Mark, and well done. I think I have all of these on LP, but just don't play them as much as I once did what with new technologies and all. I HIGHLY recommend the 'Flowing Tide' album of Chris Droney. Totally unaccompanied, and he is in his absolute young prime. Something about the way it was recorded (as well as of course Chris's playing) give it a 'high lonesome' sound, and I have never heard any other Irish player with that sort of drive. I hope that Neil doesn't mix and match yjr recordings of these various players, but keeps the albums separate and intact.

John Kelly's recording is very nice though mostly fiddle. Unique style on the concertina. I assume the Russell Family re-release will be there...Packie's playing is also not to be missed. For those wondering what the old German concertinas sounded like, Ellen O'Dwyer has a few cuts on one of those discs. One of the Tommy McMahon/Bernard O'Sullivan albums was re-released a few years ago, but there is more in this collection.

Taken together, this group of recordings stands in sharp contrast to the sameness of many (tho not all of course) of today's Irish concertina recordings. Each player has a thoroughly unique way of approaching the instrument, and the tunes include many not often heard elsewhere. Something really wonderful to look forward to!

• 2 weeks later...

Me want me want waaaagh!

Chris

Here is the link for ordering this set via the internet:

http://www.free-reed.co.uk/anclar-06

Cheers,

Dan

this just arrived monday. july 12th was my birthday, so the first thing i did when i saw the link to this was click on it and buy myself the best birthday present i could have possibly hoped for.

though a few of the albums in this set were already available, each of them here includes several previously unreleased tracks. the bernard o'sullivan and tommy mcmahon albums were two of the first concertina recordings i owned, and i have listened to them hundreds of times. it is really inspiring to have some new material from them to listen to that was recorded at the same time. there's an entire album's worth of extra tracks from them.

anyway, i'd highly recommend that anyone considering this buy the entire set as it's worth it for all the extra tracks even if you own all these albums already. and make sure you buy the elizabeth crotty album too.

i read on this forum a while back that someone is sitting on hours of field recordings of paddy murphy. are there any updates on when this might be released?

anyway, i'd highly recommend that anyone considering this buy the entire set as it's worth it for all the extra tracks even if you own all these albums already. and make sure you buy the elizabeth crotty album too.

I'll second that bacause of extra tracks :). And of cource Elizabeth Crotty album is highly recommended too.

6-CD set is now also available in Custy's music shop in Ennis Co. Clare, FYI.

By the way, I recently got a John Joe Casey's CD named "the tiermaclane fancy". It was 1987 recording and released in 2006 from Cois na hAbhna Archive. I don't know much about the player but I felt it is also lovely old style playing. I'd like to recommend it too.

Taka

The field recordings of Paddy Murphy will be released November 2007 on the Celtic Crossings label (http://www.CelticCrossings.com) and is being produced by Clare concertina master and historian Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin (both he and Noel Hill were students of Murphy) and Clare fiddle master Peter O'Loughlin who played regularly with Murphy for many years. Release details will be shared with this newsgroup as soon as available! Thanks for your interest!

Cecilia McDonnell

i read on this forum a while back that someone is sitting on hours of field recordings of paddy murphy. are there any updates on when this might be released?