Linota Scam On Ebay?

Paul Read

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

I asked if I could come round to look at it and he said has already agreed to sell to someone in his home town. You can only conclude that if it stays on ebay it's a scam (note the zero feedback).

Later:

I thought I'd seen it before. Here it is:http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-WHEATSTONE-LINOTA-CONCERTINA_W0QQitemZ200121153891QQihZ010QQcategoryZ16218QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Paul Read

Well, it's official. eBay has officially stopped trying:

Dear Devin,

I appreciate your writing eBay in regard to possible text and image

theft on listing 260134276308.

I reviewed your information about the possibility of image and text

theft. At this time, I didn't find sufficient evidence to show that the

member has violated any eBay policies.

Please understand that in some situations members will allow others to

use their images. It's also possible that the members acquired the photo

from the same source or a source that we can't verify. If this is the

case, eBay can't remove the listings.

We will be able to take action only if the person who owns the image or

text writes to us directly. If you feel strongly about this issue, I

recommend that you contact the seller, informing him or her about your

concerns and recommending that he or she contact eBay. Once we hear from

the seller, we will then take the appropriate action.

Thank you for your time and concern.

Sincerely,

Emilia

My response:

I am absolutely appalled with your lack of regard for the security of your customers and the useless boilerplate response you have given me.

Let me get this straight...An auction in the UK ends last month (200121153891) for a one-of-a-kind antique musical instrument, which has a UNIQUE serial number and was listed by a seller who received it in a bereavement sale. The winning bidder for this auction lives in Ireland.

Weeks later, a seller in Canada with no feedback lists this exact same instrument (260134276308) using the same photos, serial number and description. Hmm...another bereavement sale. Do you suppose the Irish buyer from the first auction died immediately upon receiving his new concertina, whereupon our new Canadian seller made a transatlantic flight to HIS bereavement sale, bought the concertina, and listed it on your website using the first auction's text and pictures for convenience's sake? If so, I would worry that if I purchased this instrument, I would die shortly thereafter as well. Maybe you should cancel the auction because this accursed and lethal concertina must obviously fall under your "dangerous goods" category.

Since when is it the job of previous sellers to police your website? Are you saying that if I sell an item, I need to patrol your website for years to see if someone lists it again fraudulently? Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. You should rely on the expertise of your other members to identify fraud. As far as fraudulent eBay listings go, this one is a no-brainer.

Devin

Well, it's official. eBay has officially stopped trying:

Dear Devin,

Devin

I put a bid on it. I'll offer to pay cash and pick it up. Should be interesting! :ph34r:

I withdrew the bid. Not worth risking the feedback

I put a bid on it. I'll offer to pay cash and pick it up. Should be interesting! :ph34r:

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that eBay has no procedure for removing negative feedback even when the backfeeder is known to be fraudulent?

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that eBay has no procedure for removing negative feedback even when the backfeeder is known to be fraudulent?

Probably, they are Californians after all, a place not noted for doing the right thing. Just look at the mess last season's television was. Or the second and third "Pirates" movies.

Alan

Ebay are totally hopeless at this kind of thing and their usual response (you were lucky to get a personal one!) is stock paragraphs about being careful and then suggesting you contact the police and asking them to contact ebay. Can you imagine the consideration you'd get ringing a police station (in the UK) and requesting they ring up ebay? Ebay are the most unobtainable people on the planet and when there is scent of a scam or a dispute, it often seems to be the innocent complainant who is then pursued by ebay.

It's well documented that Western Union is used by scammers from Nigeria/SA yet all ebay do is warn against the use of WU and to be careful. It can't be beyond them to have a word search that forbids the total use of this phrase and keeps returning the text to the compiler until they remove it and get bored trying to scam people.

The Linota has just ended 'early' and been sold to the high bidder (the only bidder). I have suggested to this bidder that they read the thread on C.net but looking at the bidder's f/b - 50% it may suggest the scammer is being scammed! I do hope so.

Foxy

Probably, they are Californians after all, a place not noted for doing the right thing. Just look at the mess last season's television was. Or the second and third "Pirates" movies.

Alan

The Linota has just ended 'early' and been sold to the high bidder (the only bidder). I have suggested to this bidder that they read the thread on C.net but looking at the bidder's f/b - 50% it may suggest the scammer is being scammed! I do hope so.

Foxy

I sent him the number of the original item.

Edited by Paul Read

...they are Californians after all, a place not noted for doing the right thing. Just look at the mess last season's television was. Or the second and third "Pirates" movies.

Careful there. There's far more to California (as anyone who tries to drive its length can tell you) than Hollywood... or even the LA basin, San Francisco Bay area, and Sacramento. B) :D