C Jeffries Concertina Advice Wanted

post-4811-1182975328_thumb.jpgpost-4811-1182975029_thumb.jpgpost-4811-1182975091_thumb.jpgpost-4811-1182975138_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone, wonder if you can help, we have had a concertina for about 20+ years just sitting looking pretty and by chance saw one at a local auction that was a C Jeffries that went for a lot of money last week so we went home and looked at ours and it says "C Jeffries Maker" on the ends and has 19 keys at each end plus an seperate key on each end away from the main batch.

We are obviously excited at the prospect of having something valuable and want to know the best way to sell it, is ebay the best way or can you reccomend something better?

Also can anyone help to verify whether it is the real deal or not.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Rachel

post-4811-1182975224_thumb.jpg

Well on the face of it you've just pulled the handle of life and come up with three strawberries. Congratulations. But don't go paying off the mortgage quite yet. an awful lot depends on the condition and other factors like whether it is in concert pitch. You should get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. Whereabouts in the world are you?

Chris

PS take care of it, won't you?

Hello Rachel,

EBay is one way to go and if the last three Jeffries auctions are any indication the price for sellers is good (4000 GBP or so!)

Another way is to list it in concertina.net's Buy and Sell forum. I think that might give it more of a chance to go to a player rather than a dealer. (Nothing wrong with dealers; they help put instruments in players' hands)

Key and condition can be a factor in the final price. (Is your concertina in concert pitch? What chord does it play when several buttons in a row are depressed and the bellows pushed in?) Are the bellows leaking or airtight? Etc.

Even unrestored Jeffries are bringing strong prices. Yours looks like the real deal to me!

Congratulations!

Greg

PS. I am looking for a Bb/F Jeffries 38 buttons. If yours turns out to be in that key please get in touch with me.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the fast response, I am in Dunstable Bedfordshire if you can reccomend anyone near,.

There is one key missing on one end of it which you can see in one of the pictures and it has wear and tear signs and it is now being very well looked after, my Dad bought it at an auction for about a fiver by my Mum s reccolection so all the family are feeling quite happy right now, sadly he is no longer ith us to enjoy the ride.

Any help would be great

Rachel

I don't think you are all that far from Geoffrey Crabb, who probably knows as much as anyone in the world about concertinas. He is a member of this forum (under his own name) and I would suggest that you send him a PM and see if he is willing to look at it.

Chris

my Dad bought it at an auction for about a fiver

Can you tell me when the next auction is please? I'll take as many of these as people can supply me for a fiver!

my Dad bought it at an auction for about a fiver

Can you tell me when the next auction is please? I'll take as many of these as people can supply me for a fiver!

I was the under bidder.

Al

Hi Rachel,

May I suggest you contact Mike Acott who has been trying to post on this site for the last couple of days in order to get in touch. His number is 01473-743080 and email; nikiacott@hotmail.com.

He'll be able to help you with regard to cost, repairs and value etc.

:)

post-4811-1182975328_thumb.jpgpost-4811-1182975029_thumb.jpgpost-4811-1182975091_thumb.jpgpost-4811-1182975138_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone, wonder if you can help, we have had a concertina for about 20+ years just sitting looking pretty and by chance saw one at a local auction that was a C Jeffries that went for a lot of money last week so we went home and looked at ours and it says "C Jeffries Maker" on the ends and has 19 keys at each end plus an seperate key on each end away from the main batch.

We are obviously excited at the prospect of having something valuable and want to know the best way to sell it, is ebay the best way or can you reccomend something better?

Also can anyone help to verify whether it is the real deal or not.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I'm an anglo player from Ampthill which is only about 20 minutes drive from Dunstable.

If you would like to bring your instrument over we can compare it with mine. I have C Jeffries in Bb/F, C/G & G/D and a brilliant Jeffies Bros Bb/F in old pitch unequal temperament. We could also use my electronic tuner to find out exactly what pitch yours is in.

I may even be able to find a button to fill in the gap on the left side of your machine. I really d not need another Jeffries unless it is in a really odd key, but would be more than happy to advise on how to get a decent price if you sell it.

Give me a call 07712 890200

regards John Warren.

I'm an anglo player from Ampthill which is only about 20 minutes drive from Dunstable.

Hi John,

It's good to see that the "bush telegraph" is working!

It must be 20 years since we last met, if memory serves me correctly. Nice to see that you are still around.

Regards,

Peter.