Good Cajun Music Cds? Going To Cajun Camp,

Helen

;) Help.

Going to Cajun music camp and they only teach my ear. Good grief. I need to listen to a ton of music ahead of time. I have some CDs. Would like to get more. Any written music available? I have a small book somewhere. I do have a cajun accordion. Have to figure out how to play it. Since it is in C, I think I can use all the music I learn for the concertina also. Hopefully.

I've talked via email with someone who has a Cajun accordion and loves this music. Will you also respond? I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name.

All you learn by ear people can go ahead and laugh. Yes indeed, I am going to learn to play by listening. Horrors.

Helen

I was going to say learn to play by ear, but that was too easy a shot for Jim to tease about. :P

;) Since it is in C, I think I can use all the music I learn for the concertina also. Hopefully.

Not wishing to add to your problems but if you have cajun accordion in C the chances are the tunes will be in G as most cajun is played on the "second position" on an accordion.

My favorite Cajun 2CD set:

Title: As Good As It Gets: Cajun

Artist: Various Artists

UPC Code: 07243825552

THis one is good:

Title: Cajun Spice: Dance Music From South Louisiana

Artist: Various Artists

UPC Code: 01166115502

There is also sheet music for this one, and sometimes the book and CD are sold together as:

Cajun Spice for Accordion Book/CD Set

by Larry Hallar

Here's another one I like:

15 Louisiana Cajun Classics

There is also sheet music for that, but I'm not sure where to get it.

Here's cheap book and cassette set tutor, it is really easy:

You Can Play Cajun Accordion

by Larry Miller.

Here's a video

Beginning Zydeco and Cajun Accordion By Evo Bluestein

If you have a lot of time to study the history and all that there is this book:

Cajun Music: A Reflection of a People by Ann A. Savoy

Helen,

I have been playing Cajun accordion (though not as intensely as anglo) off and on for about 5 or 6 years. I have a beautiful walnut Savoy Acadian model in C. I only waited two months for it, it was my favorite of all the ones I tried, folks who borrow it say it is a great box. What a contrast with anglo! And cost less than a typical Lachenal concertina.

Larry Miller's book is a place to start (see Alex's comment). He is a really neat guy; I studied accordion repair with him last summer. The two tomes are by Francois and by Ann Savoy (her volume 2 is about to come out I hear). But I have learned NO Cajun tunes from music. I (a 30+ year music reader) do it all by ear. Dirk Powell's newer video is also good -- try it, you can learn by _watching_. What do you have, an Ariette?

Which camp are you going to, Dewey Balfa, or Augusta (only two I can think of)? Both were great for me.

Ken

Thanks everyone.

I have an Ariette. I got it 2 years ago, but have never played it. Couldn't figure out how to hold it. Realize now I should have gotten an instruction booklet and strap with it, but was not included.

I am going to Augusta. Margo seems to think I could do advanced beginner, nifty teacher. But I don't play at all and have NEVER learned to play by ear. Little nervous.

But hey, I was always going to try to learn to play by ear. She thought I should listen to a lot of music. I thought okay, but I'd better also figure out how to play the thing.

And oh well, Lester, if the music is all in G, that'll still work on my anglo.

Helen

And oh well, Lester, if the music is all in G, that'll still work on my anglo.

Hi Helen, I thought this might be misunderstood when I saw Lester's comment, you are meant to play in 'G', on the draw, on the 'C' row, it is what gives the music its "flavour". It sounds difficult if you have never done it, but I found that I was already playing Irish tunes in 'A' and 'G', on my John Doucet 'D' accordion, before I even knew I was doing it.

I'm extremely happy with my Doucet, which has Binci "Professional" reeds that allow you to play at anything between a roar and a whisper (like a good Wheatstone !). I got a chance to try Marc Savoy's own accordion at the Michaelstein Symposium, but it didn't put me off mine.

Helen, when you get back from Augusta (oh, lucky you!) you'll have to call me *again* and play me some cajun music!!

I think Andy's Front Hall has a cajun music section. I remember drooling over that part of the catalogue...

For some reason, I recently took note of a catalog I have set on a stack of things, from Floyd's Record Shop http://www.floydsrecordshop.com

I am not really familiar with Cajun...hmm, I don't even really know what a Cajun accordion is! But, I do have some Boozoo Chavis Tapes that I used to play quite a bit. In fact, I kind of credit him with getting me back into my accordion playing, again (and, thus, the concertina!)

I have one Rockin' Sydney tape, too.

I think I got them both from Floyd's.

Hi Helen,

I also have a Savoy accordion in D. As for recorded music, I think one of the most remarkable recordings I have ever heard is an album by Octa Clark and Hector Duhon. Some of the bluesiest Cajun music on record!

Anything by the Balfa Brothers, for a general sense of the music, and Arhooley Records series of Cajun music are tremendous resources!

Have fun!

Dan

You know Helen, the guy who manages Floyd's Record Shop in Ville Platte (I forget his name) is great. Every year or so when I am down there, I tell him I do a radio show and need some new Cajun and Zydeco recordings. He asks me a few questions and then comes up with recommendations that have always been on the mark. You might just call them up.

While listening is great, I don't think going to Augusta as a beginner on an instrument is something you should "cram" for to try to get to a higher level class. I went in 1998 and took the absolute beginner Cajun Acc. class with an adequate Hohner box. It was just right. Being a musician of 30 years wasn't what placed my level; it was how I was on _that_ instrument. BTW, I don't find anything in terms of fingering translates to anglo. It is topologically different. For me anglo and Cajun acc are distinct musical interests and techniques. A bit like knitting may not make you better at operating a sewing machine.

Anyway you will enjoy your time there.

;) Thank you so much Ken for your posting.

I kept calling until I got Margo because I wanted to be absolutely certain that they were going to have an absolutely beginner class. I don't play and I wanted to play. I didn't want to struggle. I wanted to have fun. She was just as certain that I would be in too low a class very quickly and then wouldn't be able to trade up because the advanced beginners was being taught by a really popular person whose class she expected to fill quickly.

Well, I don't play by ear and the last few days I have been trying to figure out what the notes are. Ha. I tried playing Happy Birthday. Ha.

I do quite well on the piano accordion, but it is different.

I had been thinking that I would probably be happier in the absolute beginners class. And now I have your lovely post. Yep. I think I'll play around with the accordion for the months before the class just for fun. And I think I'll go for the absolute beginners.

Still, I'd like to listen to a lot of Cajun music before I go. It is so upbeat and fun. And the weather is so dreary now.

Thanks All. I'll still appreciate leads to music.

Helen

edited for dyslexic spelling

Edited by Helen

Just a happy update. I've been fooling around with the Cajun acc for a few days. Well, I've been playing Country Gardens on piano acc. and the tune just stuck in my head.

So despite the fact that I couldn't figure out Happy Birthday OR Twinkle Twinkle on the Cajun acc., I have figured out Country Gardens. I am so happy I could do something ridiculous.

So all you play by ear people out there. I GET IT. I GET IT. What you all were so excited about AND what you meant when you said a tune kept playing in your head and then you could play.

Let's not get carried away here. I don't think I am anywhere near what could be called a person who plays by ear. But hey, I've got my toe in the water. I at least finally get how you do it. At least a little bit.

And thanks Morgana for sending me Happy Birthday and Twinkle Twinkle when I said hey I can't play them but I'm attempting something else.

And I have this week off for vacation. Boggles the mind what I might get up to!

Thanks all,

Helen

So despite the fact that I couldn't figure out Happy Birthday OR Twinkle Twinkle on the Cajun acc., I have figured out Country Gardens. I am so happy I could do something ridiculous.

Helen

Congrats on the playing by ear it comes to us all with enough practise :rolleyes:

Not wishing to rain on your parade but are you playing Country Gardens in the same key as the accordion or in its "Cajun" key (ie if you have a C accordian are you playing it in G)? Just a thought,but if you are playing in the accordion's natural key (English style??) it is very hard to get a cajun feel to a tune.

Now, Now Lester, I gently and respectfully disagree. Forget about the home key and cross key for now Helen, and just play. When you get to John Vidrine's class he'll show you what to do. At that level in the lesssons I've taken, you don't worry about when you are in C and G yet. You listen to the tune and follow on the buttons they show you, and it only works one way. Knowing if you are in C or G, that comes later in Cajun music. Let's let Helen wallow in her success for a little while.

Oh well gee guys, I have no idea what key I am playing in. I don't know what the buttons stand for. I fooled around until I got the same sound and was truly overwhelmed. Truly. I'm just all excited.

So, Lester, I'll tell you when I figure out what I am doing.

Ken, thanks for the uplift. I'll just keep plugging along. I liked what I read about John Vidine's class last year. Margo kept calling the person teaching the class this year J P. Please tell me that is a nickname for John V. Otherwise someone new is teaching it.

Plink Plink,

Helen

Oh well, I'm sure whoever teaches it will be fun.

BTW, Bayou Gumbo are a Cajun band that is unusual by being led, not by an accordion player but by an anglo player. And who is this mold-breaker? Why none other than Harry Scurfield! They do have recordings out, but I don't have the details, Googling Bayou Gumbo should do the trick.

Chris

Edited for typo

Edited by Chris Timson

Let's let Helen wallow in her success for a little while.

Oh well gee guys, I have no idea what key I am playing in. I don't know what the buttons stand for. I fooled around until I got the same sound and was truly overwhelmed. Truly. I'm just all excited.

Hey Guys I was just trying to help, I have played melodeon for 25 years and have spent the last five un-learning bad habits which is much harder than it was learning them in the first place.

Special thanks to Helen, you inspired last night to get my 1 row box out which I had not played for months and had quite forgotten what a wonderful noise it makes.

:rolleyes: Hey Lester,

I understood you were trying to help. Thanks. I just don't know enough yet to know what you are telling me! But, hey, I will. Thanks for pointing out that there is more to the Cajun accordion than I realize.

And I think it's great that I inspired you to get out your box.

Thanks Chris for the lead.

Helen