Importing From Usa/canada - Question For Uk Members

Have any UK members got recent experience of ordering an Anglo from any of the North American makers? I'm thinking primarily Messrs Edgley, Morse, Tedrow here. Obviously, UK buyers would get hit with VAT and a handling fee from whatever bunch of clowns do the delivery at this end, but are there any import duties on top of that? Anything else to watch out for?

Also, apart from the makers' own web sites, are there any useful places where I could hear soundfiles of the different North American models as well as those in the UK? I've tried www.anglo-concertina.net, which is excellent, but would like to listen to any other soundfiles out there.

Thanks

John

From a Canadian perspective ... I bought an Anglo Tobacco Sunkist Bb/F concertina from Bob Tedrow (Alabama, U.S.A.) last Christmas (its is the one one his logo "150 Years behind the Times").

The Canadian Customs office charged me about CAN$400.00 in G.S.T. (General Sales Tax) - the Concertina cost me around USA $2600.00 because of all the extra options. The Customs office charged me this fee based on what was delcared on the U.P.S. shipping forms. One could ask a concertina builder/dealer to reduce the true value of the concertina price a bit ... at least on paper... ;). (On the other hand my government needs my taxes to build roads, provide hospital services and support the war in Afghanistan, provide lush pension funds for politicians etc.). I'd better get back to practicing on my concertina...

With regards to the sound files ... Bob Tedrow's soundfiles are accurate in reflecting the the sounds of his concertinas. I am very happy with his product (and I do not get any commission from him for writing this). I think that his website is: www.hmi.homewood.net

talk to tax people you may find 2% import duty put on before the vat is calculated (cunning move that-tax the tax as well as the item)

Not forgetting that the postage cost is also counted as part of the price for calculating VAT. :(

Oh, and postage from Canada costs about double the price from the USA ...

I live in the UK and I bought a Tedrow concertiny which arrived last October. Off the top of my head, speaking in roudnfigures, I paid around GBP850 for the concertina and a further GBP120 or so in taxes, etc. I still consider the instrument to be excellent value for money. Why not check out the customs and excise website at www.hmce.gov.uk ?

Samantha

Have any UK members got recent experience of ordering an Anglo from any of the North American makers? I'm thinking primarily Messrs Edgley, Morse, Tedrow here. Obviously, UK buyers would get hit with VAT and a handling fee from whatever bunch of clowns do the delivery at this end, but are there any import duties on top of that?

For an estimate you should add about 22% of the price on top to cover import duty and VAT, and then add shipping costs.

Guest Old Leaky
Have any UK members got recent experience of ordering an Anglo from any of the North American makers? I'm thinking primarily Messrs Edgley, Morse, Tedrow here. Obviously, UK buyers would get hit with VAT and a handling fee from whatever bunch of clowns do the delivery at this end, but are there any import duties on top of that? Anything else to watch out for?

Er, Import Duty of 3.7% will be added to the total declared value (there could be penalties/further charges if this is not accurate) including shipping, then VAT at standard rate of 17.5% will added to the new total, then add a nominal Royal Mail handling fee (8 GBP?) on top simply for them opening and resealing the package and putting a card through your door telling you to come down to the delivery office to pay the money (which they collect on behalf of HMC) before you can get your hands on your goodies! If you're considering a Morse this will still be a lot cheaper than buying off the shelf from The Music Room.

PS Sounds like Samantha got off light!

Edited by Old Leaky

Has anybody tried simply put "return from the repair" on the package?

Insuring the package for true cost, but putting the smaller cost ($100) on the form is another way.

Postal workers on the Forum, you haven't heard anything. RIGHT?

Guest Old Leaky

Insuring the package for true cost, but putting the smaller cost ($100) on the form is another way.

Customs (not postal service) might require evidence that it LEFT the country to go for repair in the first place.

Any goods arriving into the UK from outside the EU with a value of more than 18 GBP (or 36 GBP for "Gifts") WILL be inspected when they arrive. If the value is obviously under-declared, well, the ultimate sanction is forfeiture...!

Edited by Old Leaky

Customs (not postal service) might require evidence that it LEFT the country to go for repair in the first place.

Any goods arriving into the UK from outside the EU with a value of more than 18 GBP (or 36 GBP for "Gifts") WILL be inspected when they arrive. If the value is obviously under-declared, well, the ultimate sanction is forfeiture...!

I see.

So If a UK person wants to buy Albion, he sends a package with $100 Chinese English to the Button Box, they replace it with Albion and put "repair" on the declaration.

Done deal.

Above scenario is very bad, it's cheating on the Government, that takes care of it's citizens. So please, never adhere to this shameful scheme.

It is always better to add some $400 to the purchase, so the Government can put much needed money into promoting outsourcing.

So If a UK person wants to buy Albion, he sends a package with $100 Chinese English to the Button Box, they replace it with Albion and put "repair" on the declaration.

Done deal.

Not "done" if the Button Box won't do it... and I'm sure they won't.

I see.

Done deal.

Above scenario is very bad, it's cheating on the Government, that takes care of it's citizens. So please, never adhere to this shameful scheme.

It is always better to add some $400 to the purchase, so the Government can put much needed money into promoting outsourcing.

Hmmm. Given that you'd need a complete paper trail to cover this I'm a bit lost as to how many laws will be being broken in the UK or US. Certainly any company willing to engage in such practices would never get a bean of my cash, as if they're willing to act in such a way they could hardly be considered honest & trustworthy.

So the obvious question is.....

What would be the best make of Concertina to play in prison? :)

My favourite would be a Dipper B)

I see.

Done deal.

Hmmm. Given that you'd need a complete paper trail to cover this I'm a bit lost as to how many laws will be being broken in the UK or US. Certainly any company willing to engage in such practices would never get a bean of my cash, as if they're willing to act in such a way they could hardly be considered honest & trustworthy.

So the obvious question is.....

What would be the best make of Concertina to play in prison? :)

My favourite would be a Dipper B)

Oh! They should be ashamed of themselves and sit there in remorse :rolleyes:

Done deal.

Not "done" if the Button Box won't do it... and I'm sure they won't.

But I will.

Send me private message and we'll discuss the matter.

Edited by m3838

Hmmm. Given that you'd need a complete paper trail

A business shouldn't declare willingness to do so, obviously.

How about gifts? Or if a US based mecenate is willing to offer musical instrument to poor player in the UK?

Or buying a concertina from Ebay? It looks like I have no problem buying from UK, but UK buyers will have to pay extra buying from me??

Thanks for the info everyone - it's been very interesting. It does seem that even with the added import costs, importing from the USA or Canada can give very real savings for potential UK buyers. Also, delivery delays seem much shorter as well.

Once again,

Thanks

John