Four Sided English Concertina

Marien

Hm,

can´t see it ...

Christian

I copied the link and pasted it on the browser. That worked. The text does not include any other information about the picture.

ocd

Hm,

can´t see it ...

Christian

I copied the link and pasted it on the browser. That worked. The text does not include any other information about the picture.

ocd

Well, to save some time for the rest of the gang:

post-163-1182532879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christian Husmann

Now that makes sence. I like it better than 6 sided.

It's one step towards my dream concertina: 4 sided, English system, double reeds, octave tuned. Am I the only one?

Now that makes sence. I like it better than 6 sided.

It's one step towards my dream concertina: 4 sided, English system, double reeds, octave tuned. Am I the only one?

Well, I wouldn´t mind a slightly bigger type of concertina, same sound but with one or two registers to increase the number of notes available....

Christian

...double reeds, octave tuned. Am I the only one?

Well I really don´t know these types. If you know them, do you know whether the double reeds are in the same octave, or are they usually differing one octave?

thanks

I saw this picture somewhere on an internet page in spanish language.

I tried to dig into the web site where the photo was located. I found some interesting stuff, though no link leading to the photo. (The photo's there, but it seems that one needs to know the full URL to find it.)

It seems the web site is Sardinian, not Spanish.

Does anyone have an idea of the maker and the age?

Either Wheatstone or Lachenal. I've seen either that instrument or its twin before; I just can't remember where. (Could it even have been discussed previously in these Forums?) I know that there is at least one entry in the Wheatstone ledgers of a "square" instrument.

Well I really don´t know these types. If you know them, do you know whether the double reeds are in the same octave, or are they usually differing one octave?

I'm pretty sure that Michael (m3838) was speaking of what sort of concertina he'd like to have, not features of the "square" concertina pictured, which I suspect is otherwise a standard single-reed design.

However, Lachenal did make a few multi-reed, English-keyboard instruments. Do a Search on "accordeophone" to learn more.

I tried to dig into the web site where the photo was located. I found some interesting stuff, though no link leading to the photo. (The photo's there, but it seems that one needs to know the full URL to find it.)

It seems the web site is Sardinian, not Spanish.

Either Wheatstone or Lachenal. I've seen either that instrument or its twin before; I just can't remember where. (Could it even have been discussed previously in these Forums?) I know that there is at least one entry in the Wheatstone ledgers of a "square" instrument.

I'm pretty sure that Michael (m3838) was speaking of what sort of concertina he'd like to have, not features of the "square" concertina pictured, which I suspect is otherwise a standard single-reed design.

However, Lachenal did make a few multi-reed, English-keyboard instruments. Do a Search on "accordeophone" to learn more.

I really do find this interesting.

Here is a picture of an accordeophone, source is the SSI site:

post-163-1182631866_thumb.jpg

marien,

The original source of that photo is a little Italian book that I have a copy of. It's a bilingual work with the title(s) Le Fisarmoniche - Piano-Accordions, though in fact it is mainly about button accordions with a few concertinas thrown in.

The photo you found online appears on page 5 of the book, along with an end-on view of the right-hand side of the instrument.

The description, on page 4 is "Concertina cromatica, 1835 circa" and the (English) text reads:

Charles Wheatstone

A very rare instrument by sir Wheatstone who had patented the concertina in June 1829. All the details are covered in leather, including the boards.

The sides of the boards represent a masterpiece in metalwork, with minute metal buttons (20 treble, 19 bass). In the oval opening appears the maker's label: "Charles Wheatstone, Conduit Street, London".

But the instrument is evidently more like 1900 in date and resembles Wheatstone instruments around the 23XXX-24XXX number series. It reminds me of the style of the special square duets that Wheatstone's also built for the Paget Trio around the same period.

I've seen either that instrument or its twin before; I just can't remember where. (Could it even have been discussed previously in these Forums?)

Jim,

The two photos I mentioned are in the C.net museum here, as well as being mentioned in

this thread.

The site was here:

http://members.fortunecity.es/daniel_fdez_...divisiones.html

and then on the left pane click "origen"

The site is not very detailed on "todos los tipos de acordeones", it is just the photo that drew my attention

I hope that the link works now...

by the way, Jim, are you sure about the sardinian? I did not know sardinian looked that much like spanish... ;)

by the way, Jim, are you sure about the sardinian? I did not know sardinian looked that much like spanish... ;)

No, I'm not sure.

I'm finding the web site tricky to navigate through, and some things look different today than what I remember seeing a couple of days ago. The mentions of Sardinia I see now are less prominent, and seem to be associated with the domain host, but not necessarily the accordion pages.

There are still a couple of spellings I would consider strange in Spanish. (I've never seen "ü" in Spanish before.) But I'm not a Spanish scholar, and I don't know that I'd recognize Sardinian if it came packed in a tin. B)

There are still a couple of spellings I would consider strange in Spanish. (I've never seen "ü" in Spanish before.) But I'm not a Spanish scholar, and I don't know that I'd recognize Sardinian if it came packed in a tin. B)

It is Spanish.

ocd