Wanted- C/g 30 Key For Restoration

pipives

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but some of you know me from melodeon.net

Anyway, I've been playing the anglo concertina quite happily for 14 years now, currently playing a 30 Metal ended Andrew Norman concertina, whihc I'm perfectly happy with. But I've decided I want a C/G too.

At the moment I'm at the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, studying on the Folk and Traditional Music degree course. Obivously, being a student, money is tight. I have about £500 to spend on an old concertina, that I would like to slowly learn to restore and tune, as and when money and time allows.

I know £500 won't get me much in the way of a concertina these days, but something like a Lachenal or Wheatstone would be nice. Preferably 30 key, not bothered about wooden/metal ends, bone/metal buttons etc. I would prefer 6 fold bellows but 5 will do.

I know this is going to be hard to find, but if there's anyone out there with any ideas, reply to this, or send emails to p.j.ives@newcastle.ac.uk with details of anything you may think helps.

Thanks

Pip

Pip

and the Stag in Hastings and a few other places :D

Hello Pip,

Welcome to concertina.net, there are quite a few of us you will know already who are double agents and dabblers in concertinas and melodeons.

I hope that you you find what you need - I'm afraid that I can't help personally but this is a great forum with a collective knowledge that can't be surpassed.

Hope all is well in Newcastle,

Peter

Pip

and the Stag in Hastings and a few other places :D

Hello Pip,

Welcome to concertina.net, there are quite a few of us you will know already who are double agents and dabblers in concertinas and melodeons.

I hope that you you find what you need - I'm afraid that I can't help personally but this is a great forum with a collective knowledge that can't be surpassed.

Hope all is well in Newcastle,

Peter

Cheers Peter, All's well in Geordieland. Coming to kent for a week on friday. May make it to some sessions.

But I've decided I want a C/G too.

...I have about £500 to spend on an old concertina, that I would like to slowly learn to restore and tune, as and when money and time allows.

Hi Pip

If you want a 30 key C/G and you want to learn to restore and tune concertinas then you have two objectives that are not completely compatible. Learning to do tuning and restoration work is a process of trial and error, much better to make the errors on a cheap 20 key Lachenal than to risk a better quality, more expensive instrument. My suggestion is this: put 10% or so of your kitty into buying an old 20 key anglo and develop your restoration and tuning skills on that. At the same time you can continue searching for your nice £500 30 key anglo.

But I've decided I want a C/G too.

...I have about £500 to spend on an old concertina, that I would like to slowly learn to restore and tune, as and when money and time allows.

Hi Pip

If you want a 30 key C/G and you want to learn to restore and tune concertinas then you have two objectives that are not completely compatible. Learning to do tuning and restoration work is a process of trial and error, much better to make the errors on a cheap 20 key Lachenal than to risk a better quality, more expensive instrument. My suggestion is this: put 10% or so of your kitty into buying an old 20 key anglo and develop your restoration and tuning skills on that. At the same time you can continue searching for your nice £500 30 key anglo.

Seems like a good idea. I've just seen a 20 rosewood end concertina on a website in kent for £90. I've emailed the seller to try and find out more about it, as there was no name , details or desciption. May be a start...

Hi Pip

I have known Pip all his life and am most glad he is now tuning back more towards the concertina. I well remember him with his first concertina - it was nearly as big as him :lol:

Between you and me, I'm sure he will not go short of sound practical advice for his first restoration project.

Cheers

Dave.

PS Pip, if he's got two at that price, save one for me ;)

Hi Pip

My suggestion is this: put 10% or so of your kitty into buying an old 20 key anglo and develop your restoration and tuning skills on that. At the same time you can continue searching for your nice £500 30 key anglo.

I have known Pip all his life and am most glad he is now tuning back more towards the concertina. I well remember him with his first concertina - it was nearly as big as him :lol:

Between you and me, I'm sure he will not go short of sound practical advice for his first restoration project.

Cheers

Dave.

PS Pip, if he's got two at that price, save one for me ;)

Thanks Dave- I'll see what I can come up with

Hi Pip,

Nice to see you've made it here too! I hope you find the right concertina for you. Don't give up on the old melodeon though, will you. See you at M@Witney this year perhaps?

Steve

Of course I won't give up the melodeon! Might make it to MaW, although I'll be very busy at the time with Uni work. ANd I get one to one tuition with loads of different box players up here on the course anyway. I'd like to get to MaW just to see everyone and enjoy the weekend though. We'll see.........