C Jeffries

Is Andrew Norman near enough to you Trace? He's in Uckfield in Sussex.

I have just 'googled' Andrew Norman , thank you for the recommedation, I have sent an email asking if we could bring the instrument to him.

Hopefully this will solve the mystery on whether we have a duet or anglo!

If Andrew is moving, your next nearest experts are most likely, John Connor in Essex and Mike Acott in Ipswich, Suffolk. And Ipswich is not far from Stowmarket, home of Steve Dickinson and Wheatstone concertinas.

- John Wild

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The significant difference for you, if you're selling it, may be that an Anglo is worth about twice as much as a duet ...

Maybe so, but half the value of a Jeffries anglo is still rather more than the price of a pint down the pub :) . Do let us know how it all turns out.

Cheers,

Chris

Trace,

Given your newly acquired interest in Jeffries concertinas, you may wish to consult the materials at concertina.com. You will find our article on the Jeffries family. For a long time, we have been promising to post Part II (mainly on the Jeffries instruments). It actually will be posted--in the relatively near future.

The significant difference for you, if you're selling it, may be that an Anglo is worth about twice as much as a duet ...

Maybe so, but half the value of a Jeffries anglo is still rather more than the price of a pint down the pub :) . Do let us know how it all turns out.

Cheers,

Chris

Have had a great conversation with Andrew Norman and he has recommended placing on ebay and not worrying about investigating further, but I am sending him some photos as he is intrigued by the story and wants to follow the progress too.

So thats it, going to place on ebay on Saturday 23rd June and see what the outcome is! I will let you know the outcome.

Thank you everyone for all your help, it has been great talking to you all (am beginning to feel a little sad that I will not have an excuse to chat from next week!)

Kind Regards

Trace,

Given your newly acquired interest in Jeffries concertinas, you may wish to consult the materials at concertina.com. You will find our article on the Jeffries family. For a long time, we have been promising to post Part II (mainly on the Jeffries instruments). It actually will be posted--in the relatively near future.

I will take a look, thankyou.

Thank you everyone for all your help, it has been great talking to you all (am beginning to feel a little sad that I will not have an excuse to chat from next week!)

May I suggest you spend a little of what you get for the Jeffries on a starter concertina such as a Rochelle or Jackie. Then you'd have an excuse to stay ...

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

May I suggest you spend a little of what you get for the Jeffries on a starter concertina such as a Rochelle or Jackie. Then you'd have an excuse to stay ...

Chris

Unfortunately the funds will not be mine to spend unless I can persuade my father I am owed some commission!

Trace,

It will help you realize your best auction price if you determine your Jeffries is a duet or anglo. If you can do this before placing your auction information you can specify what kind of concertina it is and list it as such. It can save you a ton of email questions and possibly attract more serious bidders.

If you cannot get to an Andy's would it be possible to play the instrument over the phone to one of our UK bretheren? They could probably give you the answer to whether it is a duet or anglo and perhaps what tuning and pitch (not all pitches were today's standard 440=A a hundred years ago) your instrument is in.

These are all questions that serious bidders will ask.

Best of luck on the auction!

Greg

PS. Yes, your Dad owes you a commission, if for no other reason than for your not using the Jeff as a football when you were a child!

Trace,

randy, have you gotten any of my emails? (they're on an unrelated subject).

Edited by david_boveri

Trace,

It will help you realize your best auction price if you determine your Jeffries is a duet or anglo. If you can do this before placing your auction information you can specify what kind of concertina it is and list it as such. It can save you a ton of email questions and possibly attract more serious bidders.

If you cannot get to an Andy's would it be possible to play the instrument over the phone to one of our UK bretheren? They could probably give you the answer to whether it is a duet or anglo and perhaps what tuning and pitch (not all pitches were today's standard 440=A a hundred years ago) your instrument is in.

These are all questions that serious bidders will ask.

I live in Kent, near Tenterden and would happily look at this concertina. I'm no expert with regard to anglos and duets but I can tell one from the other and determine the tuning pitch of the instrument. Advice is free for the asking, just drop me a PM. :)

Just to finish this story off for you all,before Greg's suggestion Tracy contacted me with regards to this concertina and I rang her and suggested that she played it down the phone to me.

I can confirm that it is a Duet and I gave her all the information for her advert which will appear on Ebay shortly.

I offered her a fiver for it and she turned me down.

There's gratitude for you!!

Al

Although I understand he has plans to move to Shropshire in the near future....(oh no!).

"Oh no" for you, maybe - sounds great from my Birmingham-orientated perspective :lol:

Having just braved the journey round the M25 to get to Andrew's place, and had a long trek back due to the M25 being up the creek as per usual, I have to say that Shropshire will be much better for me too.

Chatting to Andrew about his move it sounds like he'll be going in the next few months and will resurface somewhere west of Shrewsbury as soon as he's got a basic workshop set up.

- W

Although I understand he has plans to move to Shropshire in the near future....(oh no!).

"Oh no" for you, maybe - sounds great from my Birmingham-orientated perspective :lol:

Having just braved the journey round the M25 to get to Andrew's place, and had a long trek back due to the M25 being up the creek as per usual, I have to say that Shropshire will be much better for me too.

Chatting to Andrew about his move it sounds like he'll be going in the next few months and will resurface somewhere west of Shrewsbury as soon as he's got a basic workshop set up.

- W

Has he still got the various plastic reliants outside? He had a robin and a camper and about four in total when I last went - how is he going to move all that?!

I better book my anglo in for service now!

- W

I can't of many better places to live. Before I moved to Ireland from Liverpool, I seriously considered Shropshire. Shrewsbury is a wonderful town.

I can't of many better places to live. Before I moved to Ireland from Liverpool, I seriously considered Shropshire. Shrewsbury is a wonderful town.

Having just spent a wonderful weekend playing my heart out at the ECMW in Bishops Castle (and, bizarrely, sitting and playing out in the sun while the rest of Shropshire flooded), I'd agree with that. Shropshire is a lovely county.

Chris

Has he still got the various plastic reliants outside? He had a robin and a camper and about four in total when I last went - how is he going to move all that?!

Yes he still has some interesting motors - though I was more interested in seeing my new Anglo truth to tell.

Shropshire's a really nice part of the world - but then so is where I live :D