C Jeffries

My father is in possession of what we believe to be a C Jeffries concertina he has owned it for approx 30 years. He picked it up from a rubbish heap and thought it would be a fun toy for my sister and I to play with, thankfully we didnt take to it and he ended up storing it in a loft until quite recently!

It has the inscription ' C Jeffries - Maker & Inventor - 12 Aldershot Road, Kilburn NW6'

It has 25 keys on each metal plate and is in working order, even though it is a little worn in places. It is made of leather, wood and has hexagon shaped metal ends with a scrolled typed pattern, the inscription is set on a type of plate area.

Our knowledge of its history has come from the internet but we are still a little confused as everything we have researched does not have the inscription 'Inventor'? Is it just that this is insignificant or could it indicate something else?

I would love to hear from anyone who could offer us some advice! Thank you

Edited by trace

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has the inscription ' C Jefferies - Inventor and maker - 12 Holburn Street, London NW'

Trace,

It sounds "wrong" just from the wording you quote, and I've seen a good few fake Jeffries in my time. However, Jeffries was at 12, Aldershot Road, Kilburn in his latter years, so could you confirm the address, and for that matter the spelling of his name: Jefferies or Jeffries?

As we usually say in these circumstances; photographs would be extremely helpful.

It has the inscription ' C Jefferies - Inventor and maker - 12 Holburn Street, London NW'

Trace,

It sounds "wrong" just from the wording you quote, and I've seen a good few fake Jeffries in my time. However, Jeffries was at 12, Aldershot Road, Kilburn in his latter years, so could you confirm the address, and for that matter the spelling of his name: Jefferies or Jeffries?

As we usually say in these circumstances; photographs would be extremely helpful.

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your reply, I have edited my wording as I just called my dad to double check the inscription and I have got a little confused it actually reads

'C Jeffries - Maker & Inventor 12 Aldershot Rd, Kilburn NW6'

Must have got a little confused as I have read so much on the internet this morning!

I am going to add some photos very soon

Just about everyone on this site dreams of finding a Jeffries in the loft.

Trace ,you and your Dad may have hit the JACKPOT.

Continue the cautious approach of Stephen's before he tells you what it's really worth.

The excitement will be to play the concertina,which may require some work to get it into full working order.

The Concertina World in the meantime will go to their local Rubbish Tip for a rummage.

Al

Continue the cautious approach of Stephen's before he tells you what it's really worth.

The excitement will be to play the concertina,which may require some work to get it into full working order.

The Concertina World in the meantime will go to their local Rubbish Tip for a rummage.

Al

Thanks Al,

I will get some photos this evening and attach tomorrow so everyone can have a look.

Its quite scary to think it was nearly thrown out a number of times over the years!

Regards

Trace

post-4645-1182241952_thumb.jpg

Trace,

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your reply, I have edited my wording as I just called my dad to double check the inscription and I have got a little confused it actually reads

Must have got a little confused as I have read so much on the internet this morning!

I am going to add some photos very soon

I have now added some photos - what do you think?

post-4645-1182241998_thumb.jpg

post-4645-1182242037_thumb.jpg

Al

Thanks Al,

I will get some photos this evening and attach tomorrow so everyone can have a look.

Its quite scary to think it was nearly thrown out a number of times over the years!

Regards

Trace

Hello I have now added some more photos - what do you think?

post-4645-1182242205_thumb.jpg

post-4645-1182242233_thumb.jpg

post-4645-1182242258_thumb.jpg

Looks a very interesting box. One more question: when you press a button do you get the same notes when you push and pull, or different notes? This will tell us if it is an anglo or a Jeffries duet (with that many buttons, it could be either). Both tend to be pretty valuable instruments nowadays, though the anglo is the more valuable.

Cheers,

Chris

Looks a very interesting box. One more question: when you press a button do you get the same notes when you push and pull, or different notes? This will tell us if it is an anglo or a Jeffries duet (with that many buttons, it could be either). Both tend to be pretty valuable instruments nowadays, though the anglo is the more valuable.

Cheers,

Chris

As you know we are pretty clueless but we think it makes different notes when you push and pull also (not sure if this makes any difference) there is a button just away from the handles and this stops any notes.

Cheers,

Chris

As you know we are pretty clueless but we think it makes different notes when you push and pull also (not sure if this makes any difference) there is a button just away from the handles and this stops any notes.

That will be the "air" button to inflate/deflate the bellows as required without a reed sounding. You may be about to get the nicest surprise of your life....

They look like four "full" rows rather than 3 plus extras. It would be a mighty anglo with 50 keys (I do know of an anglo with 58 buttons though).

Edited by Peter Brook

Cheers,

Chris

That will be the "air" button to inflate/deflate the bellows as required without a reed sounding. You may be about to get the nicest surprise of your life....

They look like four "full" rows rather than 3 plus extras. It would be a mighty anglo with 50 keys (I do know of an anglo with 58 buttons though).

I have counted all the buttons - and on the side which is stamped with maker details from top (just below stamp) is a row of 6, then 7, then 6, finally 7 + 1 air button. On opposite side top the row at the top has 5, then 6, then 6,then 6 + 1 air button. Is this of any help?

the inscription ... actually reads

trace,

In my experience that format is unusual for the inscription on a C. Jeffries instrument, and I've never seen one before that said "& Inventor". :unsure:

And the only concertina that he is known to have invented was his own system of duet concertina, in which case it should play the same note on press and draw. However, it may be out of tune if it sounds like it plays different notes or it could have been converted to an Anglo. The significant difference for you, if you're selling it, may be that an Anglo is worth about twice as much as a duet ...

Aldershot Road was Charlie Jeffries' house, and the address on the final C. Jeffries instruments after he "retired", and I've seen examples dated around 1923.

the inscription ... actually reads

trace,

In my experience that format is unusual for the inscription on a C. Jeffries instrument, and I've never seen one before that said "& Inventor". :unsure:

And the only concertina that he is known to have invented was his own system of duet concertina, in which case it should play the same note on press and draw. However, it may be out of tune if it sounds like it plays different notes or it could have been converted to an Anglo. The significant difference for you, if you're selling it, may be that an Anglo is worth about twice as much as a duet ...

Aldershot Road was Charlie Jeffries' house, and the address on the final C. Jeffries instruments after he "retired", and I've seen examples dated around 1923.

Looks like it could be a good idea for us to visit an expert - do you know of anyone who could help living in the South East of England?

With the raised ends, it looks like a 51-key Duet to me - and its not likely to have been converted to an Anglo 30 years ago. Good news for us duet players, but less good for you Trace, as the value is less ( market forces rule!). Sorry can't give you a name of anyone in the S-E being in the S-W myself, but surely someone will.

Rgds John

Although I understand he has plans to move to Shropshire in the near future....(oh no!). Anyway, I would second Stuart's recommendation of Andrew Norman. You can google him with "A C Norman" to find his phone number and address.

Is Andrew Norman near enough to you Trace? He's in Uckfield in Sussex.

I have just 'googled' Andrew Norman , thank you for the recommedation, I have sent an email asking if we could bring the instrument to him.

Hopefully this will solve the mystery on whether we have a duet or anglo!