Jeffries Anglos On Ebay

Chris Drinkwater

Three unrestored Jeffries anglos have come up for sale on Ebay recently. Two have already been sold and fetched over £4,500 each. The last one appeared to require extensive restoration, having, among other things, been attacked by moths, according to the seller, who must be rubbling his hands with glee at the price it has realized. Busmick bought the first one, but this last one, sold on sunday evening, was a private sale and the winning bidder's identity is not disclosed. Chris Algar put up a fully restored Lachenal 32 key metal-ended G/D anglo on Ebay, last month, with a starting price of £1300, yet it didn't sell. Has the world gone mad?

Chris

Chris Algar put up a fully restored Lachenal 32 key metal-ended G/D anglo on Ebay, last month, with a starting price of £1300, yet it didn't sell. Has the world gone mad?

You did say Lachenal right?

Apples & Oranges.

What is interesting though is that you mentioned that the winning bidder's id was kept private - We have not seen cocoa win much lately - so did Chris take his ID private?

I believe that it was the seller's decision to make it a private auction, not the buyer's.

Chris Algar put up a fully restored Lachenal 32 key metal-ended G/D anglo on Ebay, last month, with a starting price of £1300, yet it didn't sell. Has the world gone mad?

Apples & Oranges.

What is interesting though is that you mentioned that the winning bidder's id was kept private - We have not seen cocoa win much lately - so did Chris take his ID private?

Apples & Oranges.

Apples & Oranges.

Couldn't agree with that. It was a nice Lach, so far as I could see. Comparing a decent apple at a reasonable price with a best-in-show apple costing lots is a reasonable exercise.

Chris

Apples & Oranges.

Couldn't agree with that. It was a nice Lach, so far as I could see. Comparing a decent apple at a reasonable price with a best-in-show apple costing lots is a reasonable exercise.

Chris

OK.

I stand corrected.

I've never seen a Nice Lachenal. Only the cheap ones... How do you identify the nicer ones? Metal ends? SA's?

I've never seen a Nice Lachenal. Only the cheap ones... How do you identify the nicer ones? Metal ends? SA's?

I would go for the detailing of the fretwork - high detailing suggests it's one of the better models. It's important to remember that though Lachenal churned out thousands of very cheap and fairly nasty concertinas their top of the range instruments could be very good indeed. I love their mid-range rosewood ended jobs, not desperately fast but adequate and with a beautiful tone, all for a price not much more than a thousand pounds.

Chris