If I Could Read Your Mind, By Gordon Lightfoot

stuart estell

Folks, I've had a go at recording "If I Could Read Your Mind" - inspired by Johnny Cash's version of it. It's recorded on my Wheatstone Maccann Duet. One of those songs that it's quite hard to keep slow without racing off at the more intense moments!

If you'd like to have a listen, it's here on my website

Edit.... of course, it's "If You Could Read My Mind" not the other way round, as I've titled the thread... I'm tired, that's my excuse :lol:

Edited by stuart estell

Folks, I've had a go at recording "If I Could Read Your Mind" - inspired by Johnny Cash's version of it. It's recorded on my Wheatstone Maccann Duet. One of those songs that it's quite hard to keep slow without racing off at the more intense moments!

If you'd like to have a listen, it's here on my website

Edit.... of course, it's "If You Could Read My Mind" not the other way round, as I've titled the thread... I'm tired, that's my excuse :lol:

Stuart!

you are an inspiration. Your accent and the playing remind me of Robyn Hitchcock (one of my favorite musicians), like somethign he might have done. The chording of the duet adds a very haunting quality to the tune, lending the lyrical content more potent.

I appreciate the fact you provide us with samples of your playing.

Now you should do "Sundown".

Edited by Hooves

• 2 weeks later...

So nice! I love it. It's great to hear some of my old favorite songs played on the concertina (and sung so superbly, by Stewart).

I can remember singing and playing that song on my guitar, over and over and over! It's always been a favorite. I'm not familiar with Johnny Cash singing it, only Gordon Lightfoot, whom I always admired.

I also worked out 'The Circle Is Small,' and 'Sundown,' and maybe some others...I can't remember....on guitar.

I think I'll work out his 'Rainy Day People' with concertina. My concertina needs something like that one....