If There Was No Internet, How Would It Affect You?

If there was no internet...  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know, this is a lopsided poll because it doesn't include those who don't use the internet. Still it would be interesting to know if there is really anyone reading this who thinks their playing is not affected very much by what they get from the internet.

The most significant effect of the internet is the fact that it has allowed me to meet and share more songs and tunes with far more people than would have been likely otherwise.

Most significant sites include Mudcat and Concertina.net - Tom

I know, this is a lopsided poll because it doesn't include those who don't use the internet. Still it would be interesting to know if there is really anyone reading this who thinks their playing is not affected very much by what they get from the internet.

I haven't voted. The poll doesn't offer "unchanged" for playing with others.

I have cut down a lot on my time spent on the Internet lately and that has led to me spending more time doing other (IMO) more constructive things. Playing music is one of these. That said, I was "overusing" the Internet badly and that asidel, I think it's been a great help.

I think the Internet has been useful particularly in the distribution of Songs and tunes to many. A couple of notable examples are:

The Digital Tradition Database, the main copy of which is now hosted at Mudcat. This didn't start life as an Internet project but as a floppy disk distribution amongst friends. Obviously the Internet helped a lot in growing into what it is now.

The adoption of abc for the distribution of tunes on the internet and the huge collections of tunes contained in that format.

The ability to ask questions and find answers from others is also IMO very important.

No, I THINK I'd have hunted one down anyway, but how I'd have found advice and even an instrument without the net I don't know. It would have been harder, undoubtedly

The net is great for anything a bit minority I reckon. (currently researching making moonshine!)

Edited by Dirge

The internet let me know I wasn't so alone. Finding C. Net was a blast and encouraged me to get a box again and start making up for lost time. I've also made some very good friends all over the world and when David, Jim and I finally met up at NEFFA this year and threw down with a Haydn, Anglo and Engish on tune after tune, it was just perfect contentment. Without the net or C. Net that would never have happened!

Edited by Mark Evans

I practise less because I am on the net, BUT I listen to much, much more concertina music, many more styles, many more tunes and have learned so much more by talking about style/technique/whatever and meeting so many more people than I would without the net.

I would never have taken up the concertina...there are none available in stores locally, and certainly not the cheapie introductory models....I'd never have started at all.

Likewise! I would never have known that concertinas were still being played at all -- except that Rich Morse found my Web site full of my ragtime piano compositions, and after we had a few "chats" about ragtime, he invited me to arrange a piece of mine for concertina orchestra. A WHAT?

But I did, and directed it at NESI 2004, and got hooked on squeezeboxees, and brought home a Hayden Duet, which I play a few hours almost every day.

I do pick up a few more tunes from this Net, but mostly I play from fake books or by ear. But the Net is where I learn about new recordings and how to order them.

Reading these discussions does get me fired up to drop the mouse and grab the box. ;)

The lcoal band I play with I met off the Net, so as far as playing with others there's no real effect there.

I think the greatest effect the Net has on my playing is the constant reminder that I'm not the only squeezer in the world. Not even the only Hayden-ist. That means a lot to me.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Right. I had to list a choice I didn't really mean.

And there's a Bug or Misfeature in the polling software :( -- if you don't select a response to every question, it calls it an "error" and rejects your ballot! :o

Until InVision or whoever fixes the software, pollsters are reminded to have a "None of the Above" or "No Opinion" or equivalent button on every question. --Mike K.

The internet is just one more of the electronic distractions that plague contemporary life - I'd play more concertina time without them. I know this because I was playing the concertina a lot more during three years in the Highlands when we had no TV, almost no radio, and frequent, extended electric power outages. :ph34r:

Affected? Probably. But I don't think your "mores" and "lesses" apply. Not to me. "Different", yeah, but not necessarily in a quantifiable or even predictable way. Hearing Simon Thoumire affected my playing, but that didn't come from the internet. I'm sure that moving to Denmark affected my playing... but how?

Right. I had to list a choice I didn't really mean.

No, you didn't have to.

You could have elected to not participate, in order to avoid giving false information.

That's my choice.

And there's a Bug or Misfeature in the polling software :( -- if you don't select a response to every question, it calls it an "error" and rejects your ballot! :o

I suspect "Misfeature". I'm pretty sure it's deliberate and that Invision can and would give arguments as to why it "should" be that way.

Until InVision or whoever fixes the software, pollsters are reminded to have a "None of the Above" or "No Opinion" or equivalent button on every question.

Maybe even more than one such option, giving different ways of "opting out"?

As I said regarding Hooves' "Specialty Concertina Purchasing" Poll, "It's important to plan your questions carefully and to consider the possible responses even more carefully." Among other things, this means that your language should be precise and unambiguous, and that the response choices cover not just all "reasonable" options, but all possible ones. As an example here, I'll take the question, "What style (ITM, English Country, etc.) of music would you play?" One of the response options is,

• Same style and tunes I have always played.

But not included are both

• Same style and tunes I'm playing now, which are not what "I have always played,"

and

• Frankly, I have no idea!

B)