More Streaming Music

I just found a very cool site for internet streaming music called Pandora - radio from the Music Genome Project. I guess I had heard something about this before but tried it out today. I like it.

The idea is that songs are rated on something like 400 parameters. That gives each song a complex searchable set of values. When you sign up for pandora (free) it asks you to name an artist or song and off you go. As your personal radio station plays you music Pandora thinks you might like, you rate each song thumbs up or down. You can have lots of stations for the various kinds of music you like.

So far John Kirkpatrick Radio has played me some interesting music I’ve never heard before. I think that’s the idea behind the service. I’ve been giving thumbs up to about half the selections. I think it might get even better at predicting my taste after a few more sessions.

I've been listening to Pandora radio for about a year now. It didn't take long for it to "learn" all the types of music I like - and not long before I foresook all the other internet stations I used to listen to.

One of the nice things about the site (beside being free and having NO audio ads!) is that you can import other people's listen-lists... or you can search for what you want to add to any one of "your" stations. For instance I just looked up John Kirkpatrick on their site to find a bio and history of him plus people and bands he's been with - and a listing of albums with sound track samples. Click to add one to "your" station (or create a station from that selection) and Pandora configures itself to find similar ones. Sometimes it's with the same artists, genre, band, "feeling", instrumental similarities, etc.

It's rare that I click that I "don't like" a new piece that comes on my stations now-a-days. I also like that it presents me with pieces I've never heard of yet are right up "my alley". I'm forever discovering new pieces by Eubie Blake (in my ragtime station), or Roy Orbison (in my smooth oldies station), lesser known stuff by Herman's Hermits (in my up-beat station), I had no idea Diana Ross did so much (finds its way to my Motown station) .... Great stuff.

-- Rich --

I just found a very cool site for internet streaming music called Pandora - radio from the Music Genome Project. I guess I had heard something about this before but tried it out today. I like it.

Very cool. I was impressed it recognized "Wild Asparagus" and constructed a playlist around it -- although it seems to think it's an Irish band, but let's not quibble. And The Red Clay Ramblers and Django! Love the shuttle feature.

Wow, great; this could prove addictive! Thanks for the lead.

John

Wow, great; this could prove addictive! Thanks for the lead.

John

What a shame; you can only register with a US zip code.

Too bad. I bet that's for some royalty issue. International distribution of music is a mess. Try making one up. Here's a US zip code 12528 for New Paltz New York.

I've been listening to Pandora radio for about a year now. It didn't take long for it to "learn" all the types of music I like - and not long before I foresook all the other internet stations I used to listen to.

Unfortunately no Pandora radio in Belgium yet. Just an Internet provider with the same name; funny coincidence.

dirk.debleser@pandora.be

No easy way to fool Pandora: they check by IP address.

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for most listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in Netherlands (your IP address appears to be 77.248.xxx.xxx).

This is so cool! Unfortunately, they haven't heard of Libana http://www.libana.com/ or Milladoiro http://www.milladoiro.com/Homep.htm

But what they do know is pretty amazing.

I seem to remember reading that they take requests and accept physical CDs.

I’m so sorry folks. I hadn’t realized that I was dangling a tasty tidbit just out of reach for so many of us. I hope that when musicians, the music industry and international community finally sort it all out, clever people will figure out the paradox:

How can such wonderful things as free access to global music and internet niche radio exist side by side with fair trade practices that actually pay artists and their music industry partners.

Does this one count. It's a commercial radio station from Newfoundland Canada. Mostly local musicians and lots of good music. Nice to listen to when doing something on the computer. Just click on "Listen Live". No logon or registraion.

http://www.radionewfoundland.net/

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo