Music Book Clips

Reference has been made in other places to the fittings used to hold music books on concertinas.

The following may be of interest. I would advise that these pictures be saved as I may delete them if neccessary to provide more space for other pictures/attachements in the future.

The first picture shows the inserts usually provided on instruments intended to have the 'clips' fitted.

In this case a well worn 26 key Ab/Eb Anglo in my possession specifically made for the Salvation Army.

This picture is in colour for better definition of the inserts. It will be seen that the right insert is standard whilst the left is elongated with two holes, one for the normal strap button and the second for an additional screw supplied with the clip.

The following pictures are in B/W to save file space.

Two views of a typical clip. Note the forked, reduced portion of the bracket and the additional screw.

The next picture shows the clip attached to the instrument. The strap thumb screw is slackened and the forked section of the bracket is slipped between the strap and the instrument. The additional screw is then located and tightened in the second hole of the insert. The strap thumb screw is then retightened.

Finally, a view of the instrument with the clip in place.

The pictures and content of this posting are freely submitted and may re-used if acknowledged.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoffrey Crabb

Hi Dirge,

Thanks for your interest.

The instrument pictured is a Jones or possibly Lachenal certainly after 1878 as it has the Salvation Army ‘Blood & Fire’ logo impressed in the right hand end.

It was not until much later that Crabbs began supplying instruments to individual members the Salvation Army. At no time were Crabb instruments supplied via the Salvationist Publishing & Supplies Ltd (SP&S). After the demise of Lachenals (1933), the SP&S would refer members to either Crabb or Wheatstone direct for new instruments but retained handling their repair service. (I think the majority of repairs were actually carried out by Crabbs until the 1970’s).

Because of the above and the decline in SA marching band use, Crabbs very rarely supplied instruments with the clip fitting. Usually the actual clip part would be bought in as an attachment for brass/silver band instruments and suitably adapted to fit concertinas.

Geoff.

Usually the actual clip part would be bought in as an attachment for brass/silver band instruments and suitably adapted to fit concertinas.

Geoff.

For what it is worth I have a very similar music stand that fits on my cornet (silver) and fits in a small socket and held firm by a thumb screw.

I can't be certain but think it is virtually the same as the ones pictured - although the ones pictured appear to have a supplementary fixing to make use of the handstrap screw.

Edited by Peter Brook

Usually the actual clip part would be bought in as an attachment for brass/silver band instruments and suitably adapted to fit concertinas.
For what it is worth I have a very similar music stand that fits on my cornet (silver) and fits in a small socket and held firm by a thumb screw.

My old trumpet had that, too.

And I've seen at least one example where the "trumpet" socket was attached to the concertina end, rather than having the clip modified to fit the strap screw.

Hi

I needed a 'music holder' for a concertina at one time and my solution was to write the music on a narrow strip of manuscript and blue tac it onto the thumb strap screw ( on the end that didn't move :) ) doubt that it would work with a book tho :D

chris