Concertina Picture

Thanks Lester a lovely photo.

It looks American to me.The looks on the players faces it could be three guys opposite you on the train reading a newspaper.This is the sort of picture you just want someone to explain to you.

Al

Someone was asking about concertina band music holders recently, weren't they? There they are; they're all playing off music, and concentrating on the written note very hard, Al, just like reading a newspaper I suppose! Those will be the basses in the middle of the pic, won't they; I wondered if they were American square jobs for a minute, having noticed how deep the ends were but having looked I'm pretty certain they're normal hex siders. They have their music on a fitting that's just lying on the upwards-and-inwards face of the 'boxes. They're all using neck straps too.

It has an Edwardian feel to me.

I think it's a lovely pic; the thing that sold it to me was the complete concentration on their scores; it wasn't working for me until I spotted the total immersion in what they were doing.

I snapped this picture from a display in the Museum of Science and Industry in a display of Wake's week marches, ...

Though at least at the time the photo was taken, they're definitely not marching. They're standing quite still. ;)

Great photo!

Someone was asking about concertina band music holders recently, weren't they?

Yes, that was me, and Geoff Crabb was kind enough to oblige me with some photos he has. He can't post any more pictures, but I will try and include them here myself.

post-1947-1181660927_thumb.jpg post-1947-1181660966_thumb.jpg

Again, if anyone has an exemplar for sale please contact me directly. I imagine there must have been tons of these around at one point, but most have probably been destroyed or discarded from lack of use and/or ignorance of what the thing was.

Many thanks to Geoff for his continued insights into concertina history!

-David

My apologies for reading posts out of order and not realizing that Geoff had already posted these pictures and more seperately. I suppose it doesn't hurt to post them here again, but that's what I get for skipping around between threads!

Hi Lester,

What a great picture! Any idea when or where it was taken?

Jody

A nice young lady at the museum has looked it up for me and says "The concertina picture is part of an exhibition by People's History Museum named Carrying The Colours. The title under the picture goes as follows: Accordion Music Accompanies Sacred Trinity's Whit Walk around 1900."

......................interesting how this ties in with the "Concertinas and the Sea " thread. If you you are researching concertinas, I think you should probably also research accordions.The names seemed to to be used interchangably. Is this what our guys do ?

Robin

As an aside but with reference to Rhomylly's period costume observation, I loved the boots they wore and all highly polished!!.

A nice young lady at the museum has looked it up for me

Thank goodness for nice young ladies. Be it a Whitsun or a Wakes parade, I wonder what is in the background. Streamers? Maypole? Flags?

I hope you don't mind that I've added it to my vintage concertina collection of old photos on my web site. Do let me know if you object.

I agree with Jody, it looks like a banner to me, with a pole and the three ropes to hold it up, on the left-hand-side.

I count eight "ropes", though the ones on the right are pretty faint. They seem to rise at a slight curve and meet way above the players heads.

Thank goodness for nice young ladies. Be it a Whitsun or a Wakes parade, I wonder what is in the background. Streamers? Maypole? Flags?
I count eight "ropes", though the ones on the right are pretty faint. They seem to rise at a slight curve and meet way above the players heads.

I think those ribbons are holding up the little men, just as their neck straps are holding up their concertinas. :D