My Cat Guards My Instruments (pic)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I'm glad my cat is as light as a feather...

Makes me think of a schoolmate from Alaska who had a pet lynx (back home in Alaska).

And he had a friend in Los Angeles with a pet snow leopard.

Wanna play your instrument? ... Ask nicely! :)

'Cat' (which is exactly what 'Kissa' means, in Finnish, I'm told) is pretty nice about letting me play, now that I have the foot bass.

Our cats run away from the bass, so then I am able to also play the concertina. If I try to play the concertina alone, the other cat comes running and climbs all over me.

That OTHER sweet little kitty cat, Teacup, has indeed terrrorized our household. My 100-ish-lb. huge dog is afraid to go near her.

Just to be fair, I'll include her pic, too.....one my daughter took a while ago:

Note her 'fangs,' and that she is hissing.

Anyway, my foot bass helps me preserve my space around here!

This reminds me of an incident at Hawkwood one year during the Concertina Band weekend.

While a group of us were rehearsing (Fauré's Pavane, if I remember correctly), the college cat came into the room and snuggled up in a baritone case.

Very snug he looked too, and he didn't mind the music!

... the college cat came into the room and snuggled up in a baritone case.

Very snug he looked too ...

Hmmm, mine has sometimes made her bed in an accordion case, but one night last year I was repairing the neck of a banjo, and when I looked around she'd snuggled happily into the narrow space at the top of its case. Fortunately my camera was handy, or nobody would believe it... :blink:

Cat.jpg

...one night last year I was repairing the neck of a banjo, and when I looked around she'd snuggled happily into the narrow space at the top of its case. ... :blink:

Cat.jpg

Can't fool me.

That's really a bodhran dressed up to look like a banjo!
B)

...one night last year I was repairing the neck of a banjo, and when I looked around she'd snuggled happily into the narrow space at the top of its case. ... :blink:

Can't fool me.

That's really a bodhran dressed up to look like a banjo!
B)

Sure, what's a banjo anyway, but a bodhran on a stick? :P

(And though that might sound harsh, it is pretty much how the original African gourd banjo was modified by white folks, many of the early ones being built by tambourine makers. For that matter, a friend of mine builds replica "tackhead" minstrel banjos actually using 12" bodhrans for the "pot"! :blink: )

But whoever heard of a Framus bodhran??? ;)

What's a foot bass and why does it LOOK like a cat's bed?

Hello Dirge,

This is what it looks like and here you can listen to it (it´s from the concertina connection site).

Actually I don´t know whether it´s a Dutch or Belgian thing - I never came across an instrument in this country...

Christian

Edited by Christian Husmann

What's a foot bass and why does it LOOK like a cat's bed?
Actually I don´t know whether it´s a Dutch or Belgian thing - I never came across an instrument in this country...

It does seem to have been largely "a Dutch or Belgian thing", but I did encounter a handful of them in England when I was dealing in antique instruments.

My foot bass was a (very big) Christmas gift from my husband this past year. It was shipped from the maker, Harry Geuns, in Belgium. (Made it through the shipping okay.)

I like it more and more, as I play it more. Combined with my concertina, though, my voice is drowned out, and I can't even hear myself sing. So, I just got a teeny tiny little voice amp, and I'm getting a small head-set mic, so I can be at least as loud as my playing.

If I were to give one quick lesson here, I'd say, be sure to even-out the foot pressure. BOTH feet press, all the time. If your left foot is pressing a button, on the left side, then the right foot should also press on the right side, correspondingly. Or, you will warp and stress the instrument, and not get as nice a sound, either.

Kissa sleeps on it until I want to play, then she goes and finds some other spot somewhere.

That's a cute pic of the cat in the banjo case!

There's a site that's all cat pics like these....I think if you google -- I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER? you'll find it. Whenever I hear my daughter laughing out loud at the computer, I know she's at that site.

EDITED to correct my spelling of Harry's last name!

Edited by bellowbelle

This is what it looks like and here you can listen to it (it´s from the concertina connection site).

Christian

So now I know what was used on the soundtrack to "Deputy Dawg" all those years ago! Brill.

Is that a F1 Edeophone next to Puss on Bass - F1 as it seems to be wearing 'tyre-warmers' like the Formula race-cars do prior to a few laps of the circuit....

Foxy

P.S. What are the notes on the bass please (for each toe/foot)?

Edited by Ironframe

Kissa ('cat') has taken over my foot bass!

Is the word "Kissa" a real word or a nickname?

Russians often call cats "Kisa". And to call a cat, we say "Kis-kis-kis" or just "Kss-kss".

Cats react to it.

Entirely off topic, but there is raging discussion about the origin of Russians and one of the theoris is that at least Nordic Russians come from Sweden. Similarities between Swedish and Russian are striking.