Tune-o-tron Upgraded

Paul Schwartz

Next on deck is an upgrade of the midi conversion engine, as suggested by Colin Hume. I'm working on it...

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I am a new contributor to the Tune-o-tron and was stumped in trying to create a file that used a different Midi instrument than piano. Is there a %%MIDI command that will work on the Tune-o-tron?

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything I can do from my PC to slow it down to normal ?

Yep, copy and paste the ABC source file back into the Tune-O-Tron and alter the value of the "Q:" field, it's currently set at 1/4=140 so try 100 and then 70 if it's really playing at double the normal tempo. Oddly the Tune-O-Tron seems to read the Q field differently to other abc applications (or maybe it was the old Tune-O-Tron that did that and old abc files need re-timing since the update).

Is there a %%MIDI command that will work on the Tune-o-tron?

If there is I've not been able to find it. Try downloading ABC Navigator (free), that will use midi commands via the software but remember that if you add a midi command in a file submitted to the Tune-O-Tron database it will just be ignored. You could always add a comment that the file is best listened to using other abc software or manually setting the midi patch to X voice. Because Tune-O-Tron doesn't send midi commands it won't reset the manually selected voice.

Pete

Ok, I've just double checked that. The folkinfo site does transpose but only outputs to midi, not pdf. So do the transposition and view the transposed abc after listening to the midi to make sure it's what you want. Copy and paste the abc into a text editor then take it over to the Tune-O-Tron to get the dots. :D

Tallship...............excellent,excellent,excellent.

Ours messages have crossed.................I've just done that and it also transposes the chords with it.

I've just printed off a lovely piece from the Tune-o-Tron called Pastorale,by Charles Buterne and it appears to sit nicely for the G/G anglo..............I'm going to give it a whirl.

You've been very helpful.........thanks again

Robin

I'm pleased it worked out Robin, abc and the online tools are a great resourse and all for free. I remember painstakingly writing out tunes in manuscript books as a kid, looked awful and took ages. Now if you know the rudiments of musical theory and can manage to grasp the basics of a fairly logical 'language' you can churn out professional looking sheet music quite quickly. Bargain!

Pete. :)

• 1 month later...

Wow!

Id really love to convert some of my pipe tunes, can this be done?

X:1

T:Untitled 2

M:4/4

L:1/8

R:Slow air

C:R. Mathieson

Q:66

K:HP

%Highland Bagpipe

V:1

|:A|{g} d/2e/2{g} f/2a/2 {e} f4 {g} ec|{g} d/2e/2{g} f/2d/2 {G} A4 {g} dA|{GdG} B2- Bd {gf} g2 {a} g/2a/2f/2g/2|{ef} e4- e3 A|

%Highland Bagpipe

V:2

|:A|{g} B/2c/2{g} d/2f/2 {g} B4 {g} cA|{g} B/2c/2{g} d/2B/2 {G} A {g} B/2c/2{g} d/2B/2 {G} A {g} dA|{g} G2- GB {g} e2 {g} e/2f/2d/2e/2|{gcd} c2 {g} e/2f/2d/2e/2 {gcd} c3 A|

%Highland Bagpipe

|{g} d/2e/2{g} f/2a/2 {e} f4 {g} ec|{g} d/2e/2{g} f/2d/2 {G} A4 {g} dA|{d} Bd {gf} gB {G} Ad {g} c/2d/2{g} e/2c/2|{Gdc} d2 {g} d/2e/2{g} f/2e/2 d3:|

%Highland Bagpipe

|{g} B/2c/2{g} d/2f/2 {g} B4 {g} cA|{g} B/2c/2{g} d/2B/2 {G} A {g} B/2c/2{g} d/2B/2 {G} A {g} dA|{g} GB {g} eB {G} AB {g} A/2B/2{g} c/2A/2|{gBd} B2 {g} B/2c/2{g} d/2c/2 {gBd} B3:|

%Highland Bagpipe

|:e|{g} c/2B/2c/2d/2 {gef} e2- eA {gcd} cA|{g} d/2c/2d/2e/2 {g} f2- f{e} A {g} d{e} A|{GdG} B2- Bd {gf} g2 {a} g/2a/2f/2g/2|{ef} e4- e3 A|

%Highland Bagpipe

|:e|{g} A/2G/2A/2B/2 {gcd} c2- cA {gAd} A-A|{gBd} B/2A/2B/2c/2 {g} d2- dA {g} BA|{gGd} G2- GB {g} e2 {g} e/2f/2d/2e/2|{gcd} c2 {g} e/2f/2d/2e/2 {gcd} c3 A|

%Highland Bagpipe

|{g} d/2e/2{g} f/2a/2 {e} f4 {g} ec|{g} d/2e/2{g} f/2d/2 {G} A4 {g} dA|{d} Bd {gf} gB {G} Ad {g} c/2d/2{g} e/2c/2|{Gdc} d2 {g} d/2e/2{g} f/2e/2 d3:|

%Highland Bagpipe

|{g} B/2c/2{g} d/2f/2 {g} B4 {g} cA|{g} B/2c/2{g} d/2B/2 {G} A {g} B/2c/2{g} d/2B/2 {G} A {g} dA|{g} GB {g} eB {G} AB {g} A/2B/2{g} c/2A/2|{gBd} B2 {g} B/2c/2{g} d/2c/2 {gBd} B3:|

Wow!

I'm starting to lose the plot here. If you can write an abc file to this standard that works perfectly well in the Convert-A-Matic why do you need to ask the question?

Wow!

I'm starting to lose the plot here. If you can write an abc file to this standard that works perfectly well in the Convert-A-Matic why do you need to ask the question?

Im asking that if I convert o matic my ABC pipe tunes will they be in the correct format for the concertina?

:rolleyes:

Im asking that if I convert o matic my ABC pipe tunes will they be in the correct format for the concertina?

I play English concertina, fully chromatic in any key. Bring it on big boy! ;) :P

(Edited to add) I should add that beyond three sharps and four flats I start to get a bit lost but hey, I'm only human! :D

Edited by tallship

I play English concertina, fully chromatic in any key. Bring it on big boy! ;) :P

Yup,,

Thats me the big boy ;)

piping2bob.jpg

Edited by Bob Norris

Is there anything I can do from my PC to slow it down to normal ?

Yep, copy and paste the ABC source file back into the Tune-O-Tron and alter the value of the "Q:" field, it's currently set at 1/4=140 so try 100 and then 70 if it's really playing at double the normal tempo. Oddly the Tune-O-Tron seems to read the Q field differently to other abc applications (or maybe it was the old Tune-O-Tron that did that and old abc files need re-timing since the update).

Hi all,

I use a combination of Tune-o-tron and thesession.org to learn my new tunes . I copy and paste the Session version into the Tune-o-tron. With the Q field i can produce the speed i need.

Is there a way to save the slightly modified ABC (no ~ e.g., latest speed ) for next time i want to rehearse?

thanks beforehand

dirk