20 Button Wheatstone Anglo?

Others have likely seen these before, but I had not.

Daniel,

Yes, Wheatstone's didn't just make expensive Anglos, they did plenty of cheap 20-keys too, and I remember being offered a brand-new one in a shop back in the early '70s. Even Jeffries made 20-keys!

I don't find the serial number in the ledgers.

That's because the serial number 54176 falls in the range of the missing ledger for numbers 50000-55492 (1938-1953), but an outline list of numbers suggests that this instrument was made in 1951 (seven years earlier than the seller's date of 1958). The list is believed to have been compiled by Wheatstone's former sales manager Harry Minting, and appears in Robert Gaskins' article Wheatstone Anglos with Serial Numbers 50,000+.

Stephen--

Thanks for the link to Bob Gaskins' article. This very instrument seems to be the one 20-key listed there, based on info provided to Bob by Doug Creighton of Button Box: "20B anglo, flat mahogany ends, plastic buttons, 5-fold brown bellows [c. 1951]".

So how good are these, say in comparison to the various Lachenal lines?

Others have likely seen these before, but I had not.
Yes, Wheatstone's didn't just make expensive Anglos, they did plenty of cheap 20-keys too, and I remember being offered a brand-new one in a shop back in the early '70s. Even Jeffries made 20-keys!
I don't find the serial number in the ledgers.
That's because the serial number 54176 falls in the range of the missing ledger for numbers 50000-55492 (1938-1953), but an outline list of numbers suggests that this instrument was made in 1951 (seven years earlier than the seller's date of 1958). The list is believed to have been compiled by Wheatstone's former sales manager Harry Minting, and appears in Robert Gaskins' article Wheatstone Anglos with Serial Numbers 50,000+.

Chris Algar had a 30 button wooden-ended C/G Wheatstone of similar vintage and style at Swaledale this year. It was my first encounter with one of these but I thought it very playable. I preferred it to the other boxes he had there that were in a similar price range - but then perhaps it was just a really good example of its kind?

Even Jeffries made 20-keys!
And here is an instrument represented as one of those on eBay.

Yep, that looks like one of them alright, though if it isn't stamped "C. JEFFRIES, MAKER" then I'd describe it as a John Crabb.

By the way, that note doesn't look too recent to me, so maybe it's the heirs of Russell Steele (the recipient) selling it?