Help Please !

Hello Everybody, can anybody help with this ?

I have an Edeophone Maacann Duet 61 button with ebonised ends dating around 1905 -10. Last Saturday I decided to fit new wrist straps. The screws were quite stiff so I took the front plate off to get at them from the back. Whilst I was doing this the wooden bar split and I have accidentally taken a chunk out of the fretwork around 2 inches in diameter.

Most of the wood being so brittle disintegrated. What was left I kept, but it is impossible to piece these back together again.

In some respects im lucky as the damage did not affect any of the button holes and it is behind the wooden wrist strap bar so will not be that noticeable.

I have my box insured separately so have made a claim to get this repaired. They have advised me to find somebody prepared to do this then provide them with a written estimate of the repair cost.

Is there anybody out there prepared to take on the challenge ? Im not expecting this to be repaired as it was before, the fretwork is quite intricate and I would suspect that nobody would be able to replicate this ? It may result in the broken area being filled and smoothed over, and if this is the case I will have to live with this. However if there is somebody out there who feels they can do it I would be over the moon.

Please let me know if you can help. As you can imagine I was devastated. Its my pride and joy. Ive just about recovered now but for the first 2 days my family kept their distance.

Thanks for your help and advice.

David Ayres.

Please let me know if you can help. As you can imagine I was devastated. Its my pride and joy. Ive just about recovered now but for the first 2 days my family kept their distance.

Thanks for your help and advice.

David Ayres.

Hi David,

I would suggest Wim Wakker at Concertina Connection. He's doing similar work for me on an Edeophone.

Wim's group does excellent work.

It might also be worth contacting Andy Norman in Sussex. His site has pictures of an Edeo restoration.

http://www.acnorman.co.uk/

Regardless of who does the repair, make sure you thoroughly discuss the repair time frame. Quality repairs do take time. A shop's emphasis (making their own instruments) and previous commitments (A long queue of repairs) can influence when you may get your instrument back. Clear communication can help avoid misunderstanding and disappointment.

The good news is that there are quality craftspeople out there that can restore your instrument to its former glory.

Good luck,

Greg

Lets not forget Dave Elliott

Thank you everybody for your help and advice. In the end I looked at AC Normans website and gave them a call. They say they can do the work at a reasonable price and in a timescale which isnt too bad.

David