Jeffries Scam

dpmccabe

And some of the usual warning signs too: private listing and a brand new seller account with no feedback.

These scams seem to come in waves--this is at the least the fourth in the last couple of weeks. I wonder if someone out these is periodically selling concertina scam opportunities to online crooks.

Don't bid: 270125162780

The original item was 7407833345. These scammers are getting lazy--you'd think they'd have the sense to rewrite the description just a little...

Thanks. Paul--

It looks like this same original listing was used in at least one previous scam--see this thread.

Their automated reporting form isn't working right now for me (on any browser). Could someone else try reporting it using the item numbers I provided?
Done

Since the real Elkridge is near me I sent a message to the seller through eBay, just for fun. This was his reply:

I am very sorry but i dont meet with buyers as it turns out that i am not much of a seller and i get ripped off all the time when making face to face deals also I am a little bit shy and I realy don't want to but i am willing to use an escrow company so you will have a 7 day inspection period and if not satisfied you will have your money back from them. Mail me if you are really interested... Scott Roberts (tupicoortyn).

Ripped off, eigh?

Don't bid: 270125162780

The original item was 7407833345. These scammers are getting lazy--you'd think they'd have the sense to rewrite the description just a little...

I too filled out the form on ebay urging them to take down the listing before someone gets ripped off for a lot of money (the bidding is up to $600), but they have not responded to my email. I'm considering making a large snipe bid at the end of the auction to save a fellow concertina player from getting scammed.

Gary

This is interesting--these guys aren't usually willing to do this. I wonder how he he plans to pull off his fraud with an escrow company involved.

You might want to ask him to play some notes on the concertina over the phone if he won't show it to you, just to see what happens.

Since the real Elkridge is near me I sent a message to the seller through eBay, just for fun. This was his reply:
I am very sorry but i dont meet with buyers as it turns out that i am not much of a seller and i get ripped off all the time when making face to face deals also I am a little bit shy and I realy don't want to but i am willing to use an escrow company so you will have a 7 day inspection period and if not satisfied you will have your money back from them. Mail me if you are really interested... Scott Roberts (tupicoortyn).
Ripped off, eigh?

That was my first thought, if he was willing to use an escrow, it made me curious as to whether he copied the pictures of a similiar instrument, as opposed to taking his own of an inferior instrument. Still a fraud, just a different one. This is all speculation, of course.

Alan

$4551 doesn't seem a particularly high bid for a 30 key Jeffries - certainly not enough to "prevent" a defraud (how do you do that? if you place a bid, that's a contract to buy - don't you have to offer something stupidly high?).

I communicated with the seller and the prospect of paying through an escrow account did ease my concerns a little, whilst I wasn't completely relaxed which is why I didn't go for a winning bid. He had a plausible story, but gave no extra information about the instrument which had me worried.

I've not used an escrow service but I thought that it was up to the buyer to select the escrow provider - this should ease concerns over shady escrow services?

Just possibly, it may be genuine and someone's got a bargain - albeit one which still needs work

I don't know...an exact copy of an earlier listing, a seller with a brand new account, a private listing, a seller who refuses to meet with a buyer in his neighborhood...all bad signs, especially in combination with each other. And the "prevent" bid, if there was one, could actually have been much higher, with the amount shown being one increment higher than the next highest bid.

I'm definitely curious about where this transaction stands now.

$4551 doesn't seem a particularly high bid for a 30 key Jeffries - certainly not enough to "prevent" a defraud (how do you do that? if you place a bid, that's a contract to buy - don't you have to offer something stupidly high?).

I communicated with the seller and the prospect of paying through an escrow account did ease my concerns a little, whilst I wasn't completely relaxed which is why I didn't go for a winning bid. He had a plausible story, but gave no extra information about the instrument which had me worried.

I've not used an escrow service but I thought that it was up to the buyer to select the escrow provider - this should ease concerns over shady escrow services?

Just possibly, it may be genuine and someone's got a bargain - albeit one which still needs work