My Options As A Beginer, Advice Needed

Ken Coles, did you ever post the photo that in this post you said you would?

Jim,

You have such an amazing memory, Jim! This project is not done, but now that school is out I was looking at the bulky accumulated materials in my house a week or two ago and thinking it was time to get this done! Will definitely share it then. Squeeze on,

Ken

Ken Coles, did you ever post the photo that in this post you said you would?
You have such an amazing memory, Jim!

Yup. Amazing how many things it can't seem to remember. ;)

In this case, though, I used the search engine to find threads mentioning both bellows papers and Ken Sweeney. Your post showed up in the search. :)

You'll see many non-Jeffries Concertinas with Jeffries papers or other design elements, just because people like the design. For instance Marcus Concertinas offer Jeffries or Lachenal paper designs, Andy Norman offers Jeffries style ends, Suttner offer "Jeffries style" instruments etc.... I don't think any of them are trying to pass-off their instruments as original Jeffries.

I had no idea about that. Needless to say I don't approve of such frivolous (sp?) use of the designs, but I'd wait till Rochelle gets to the level of above-mentioned quality.

I'm sure it won't take long.

...they are incredibly portable; ......
Well - that 80 button Duet you've been talking about might need a small trolley to lug it around & a table to rest it on when you're playing!

Or it might not.

• My 80-button Maccann weighs 3.250 kg.
  • My 38-button Jeffries anglo weighs 1.555 kg (nearly half as much).
  • My 55-button Lachenal New Model treble English weighs 1.320 kg.
  • My recollection is that the 30-button Ceili (currently in the hands of a friend) weighs 1.000 kg.

And at 27 cm across the flats -- vs. 16 cm (more than half as much) for a 48-button treble English (both Æolas), -- the big Maccann is larger and less "wieldy", but hardly needs a trolley or a table. B)

I do find it somewhat awkward to play while standing, but that has more to do with the "handles" than the size or weight. I need to punch a new set of holes in the straps, since right now I have a choice between too loose (inadequate control of the ends) and too tight (making it difficult to reach some buttons with my none-too-long fingers).

Edited by JimLucas

ah yes, i did notice there was more space between the buttons and the edges of the concertina than there is on most models, il just stick with what handstraps im given.

All this talk has sort of distracted me of the actual playing of the inhstrument!

When i tryed anglos before i could only describe the key layout as freindly, it was like you couldent play a wrong note it all sort of blended in. I couldent get to grips with the unisonic english models though, anglo is mroe like my melodeon.

as for the papers, theyre only £5 i could just stick them on with blue tack to see if i like the look and then permanantly fixate them if i did like it. I did like the thread on designing your own papers aswell, as im an art student I have acess to some rather nice printers in my college and could quite easily draw scan replecate and print some papers if i found a similar type of paper.

Thank you very much for shareing your concertiknolege!

I agree with Jim.

You're about to buy Toyota Echo of a concertina. It's been designed carefully and is widely recognized. When you replace all Toyota logos with Lexus, you're either making a statement, or making fun of your car (then why did you buy it?), or just are a total novice and think nobody knows what Lexus is.

Sorry for going off topic but I couldn't let this surreal comment pass.

A Toyota is a Lexus or if you prefer a Lexus is a Toyota. Lexus are just "badge engineered" Toyotas. Which is why I can't understand why people think they are luxury or quality cars - triumph of marketing over fact.

Anyway apologies to all for the off topic rant (including Lexus drivers :ph34r: )

BTW One of the best things about the Rochelle in my opinion is the trade up option, so your purchase is guaranteed future value against an improved spec Wakker concertina. The trade in "might" be affected by additions such as your bellows paper idea though :unsure:

Edited by Peter Brook

Sorry for going off topic but I couldn't let this sureal comment pass.

A Toyota is a Lexus or if you prefer a Lexus is a Toyota. Lexus are just "badge engineered" Toyotas. Which is why I can't understand why people think they are luxury or quality cars - triumph of marketing over fact.

Hmm.

A Wakker concertina is Rochelle, or if you prefer, Rochelle is a Wakker Concertina. Phoenix" Anglos are just "badge engineered" Wakker Concertinas. Which is why I can't understand why people think they are luxury or quality instruments - triumph of marketing over fact (?)

Wakker Phoenix anglos are traditionally made concertinas which use reed sets recovered from vintage Wheatstone or Lachenal instruments that were beyond economical repair. What you get is a craftsman built new concertina with an ancient heart, this sets them well apart from the Rochelle!

Edited because the Phoenix is a Wakker instrument not a Geuns-Wakker as I thought. Oh and I misspelled Geuns too!

Edited by tallship

Guens-Wakker Phoenix anglos are traditionally made concertinas which use reed sets recovered from vintage Wheatstone or Lachenal instruments that were beyond economical repair. What you get is a craftsman built new concertina with an ancient heart, this sets them well apart from the Rochelle!

You bet! :D

Heres the only concertina based picture i have - its a stagi that one of my old girlfreinds let me borow when i developed an interest in them, may i say i dont know much about the standards but this was horible! the low notes were so slow to sound its like they had lagg

maybe it was just a bad model cos i played the stagi with metal plates and it worked ok