New "slide" Album Out! - Features Concertina (anglo)

Just a little note to anyone who may be interested that we have a new album out now.

"We" is a band called Slide, of which I've been a part since its inception in 1999. This is our third album and I play two 38 key Suttners (C/G and C#/G#), not at the same time....

Anyway, if you want to have a look then check out www.slide.ie

I was going to post up a track which is principally me on the concertina, but it's about 4megs. -Can't add it as an attachment (can I?) so what say the forum nerds :) on what the best way would be to make it accessible to folks on here to download / listen to it?

I was going to post up a track which is principally me on the concertina, but it's about 4megs. -Can't add it as an attachment (can I?) so what say the forum nerds :) on what the best way would be to make it accessible to folks on here to download / listen to it?

We decided some while back not to use any more server space for large files like this. As Paul put it, cheap online storage is pretty common on the internet nowadays. I assume this track is already compressed, e.g. mp3? If you can find a location to post it (perhaps someone here will volunteer to host you), you are welcome to post a link here. Henk (I believe) has an eternal thread that can add you as an on-line performance.

And we'll thank you to remember that we are actually cool guys here, as evidenced in my case by my limited computer skills. I went to a technical school full of nerds and Nobel prize winners, I know the difference. ;) Paul is very cool also.

BTW, Paul raved about an earlier CD of yours (check the Listening section on the old, static side of C.net), so it's nice to have you here. Your fame preceeds you.

Ken

And we'll thank you to remember that we are actually cool guys here, as evidenced in my case by my limited computer skills. I went to a technical school full of nerds and Nobel prize winners, I know the difference. ;) Paul is very cool also.

Hey, no offence intended, if it wasn't for people who knew how to repeatedly and patiently answer stupid questions like mine, there wouldn't be a working forum in the known universe! :) (I'm a concertina nerd myself)

Can you recommend a hosting site - does photobucket and the like host mp3 files? Or could I possibly email the file to you or Paul?

Ok I think I might have it sorted. I ran it through the test section on the forum and it seems to work ok. Let me know how it goes for you guys.

It's a full track from the new album (name of the album is "Overneath"), and it consists of two old time american tunes (the rest of the album is largely irish traditional, with some self-penned contemporary songs).

It's probably unusual for old time music to be played on concertina but to me they're very similar to irish polkas in terms of swing and lilt and stuff, and they're lovely engaging sort of tunes to play IMO.

A lot of the album is arrangement heavy but this is one is mostly concertina. The first tune is called "Poor Liza Jane" and the second is "Dance Boatman Dance".

An old time afficianado or expert will probably laugh at my interpretation / attempted reproduction. I only know about 4 Old Time tunes and these are two of em :), so I don't at all have the knowledge of the genre / tradition to play them "properly" if you like. But hey, they're fabulous melodies and I hope I've done them some justice.

Track features Mick Broderick on bouzouki, Daire Bracken on fiddle(s) and Eamonn de Barra on Bodhran.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0tumttcwohb

ha! i just answered your first thread introducing yourself, and i asked if this was perchance mr. a. lynch, whose clean, uncluttered, yet virtuosic (yes, we, too, are teetering on the brink of literacy) concertina playing i really like....i'm a big fan of a "clean, uncluttered" sound, regardless of whether it's old-style stuff or jazzed-up stuff.....i also like your mp3s on the juergen suttner website very much, and still hope you do a solo irish concertina cd one of these days.....thanks for this cool link.

Edited by ceemonster

Hey Aogan, congratulations on the new CD. I'm glad you guys are still making them -- mighty stuff. It was great to see you guys play at the Ennis Trad Fest, and I enjoyed meeting you and Michelle at the Cobblestone as well. Best of luck with the new CD!

Jack (from San Francisco)

Thanks guys. :)

Those mp3's on the suttner website, I wish I could delete em. Juergen just stuck a mic under my nose one morning about 9 years ago at the Bielefeld concertina weekend. Didn't realise they'd be haunting me a decade later :rolleyes:

No plans for a solo album at the moment I'm afraid. I've enough boxes brim full of un-sold albums as well as enough of the associated debt that accompanies producing them.

Hi Jack, nice to catch up with you again. Hope you're well.

Must look into getting some work across the Atlantic again, it's ages since I've been "in the Shtaytes". :)

oh, fussy-wussy, don't delete the suttner mp3s, they're beautiful! they are in my "role model" file! it's a mental file, since i don't know how to copy mp3s....i also have your cd with michelle o'brien & gavin ralston and like the concertina on that very much as well....