Edgley On Ebay

Paul Read

Having spent half the work day staring at this particularly pretty Edgley, I have two questions.

1) Does anyone know the seller? I only ask because he doesn't like PayPal but doesn't offer Buyer Protection either ...

2) Why is it listed with Ebay.co.uk and not Ebay.com or even the Canadian Ebay? (And is that a completely stupid question?

Lucy

Pining away

The obvious one is to contact him and ask if he'll take paypal if you pay the fees for him. I think that's what he's angling for anyway, because Ebay don't let you offer Paypal and pass on their fees. It's against the auction rules. It won't hurt to get a feel for what he/she's like too. An unhelpful response might be a good time to walk away.

I'd read the Paypal small print carefully; they have various top payout levels and can they sidestep by saying that the Paypal settlement was outside the auction proceedings, for instance?

Can you do a bank transfer to his account off your credit card and use the credit card company's indemnities? I bet you can. I'd ask the credit card company first. It'll be cheaper than paypal too as long as you can pay the bill at the end of the month.

I don't know about the Ebay UK bit and will be interested to see what others think. It does seem odd!

1) Does anyone know the seller?

Yes, he's an established member of this forum.

2) Why is it listed with Ebay.co.uk and not Ebay.com or even the Canadian Ebay? (And is that a completely stupid question?

It is listed on Canadian eBay, and here's a link to it: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180117580267&rd=1&rd=1, but Paul must have been using eBay.co.uk and posted a link through that site (it does have the advantage of also showing the price in UK £s, for those this side of the Atlantic).

Edited by Stephen Chambers

The obvious one is to contact him and ask if he'll take paypal if you pay the fees for him. I think that's what he's angling for anyway, because Ebay don't let you offer Paypal and pass on their fees. It's against the auction rules. It won't hurt to get a feel for what he/she's like too. An unhelpful response might be a good time to walk away.

Well this and the subsequent response have been very helpful. Many thanks!

However - and I'm honestly not trying to be a complete and utter noodge - wouldn't it just have made more sense to estimate the anticipated Paypal fees and build that into his reserve price?

Thanks for the help!

Lucy

It is a beauty

... wouldn't it just have made more sense to estimate the anticipated Paypal fees and build that into his reserve price?

Lucy,

Not everybody buying uses PayPal (or can use it), and there are plenty of sellers who have had bad experiences using PayPal, or who find them very difficult to deal with. It is not uncommon to find sellers who refuse to accept PayPal payments at all, especially in Europe.

... wouldn't it just have made more sense to estimate the anticipated Paypal fees and build that into his reserve price?

Lucy,

Not everybody buying uses PayPal (or can use it), and there are plenty of sellers who have had bad experiences using PayPal, or who find them very difficult to deal with. It is not uncommon to find sellers who refuse to accept PayPal payments at all, especially in Europe.

Stephen:

You are absolutely right, of course. My father had terrible difficulty with Paypal. After you have spent xxx dollars with them, they will not let you pay by credit card anymore until you get verified. He, understandably, was not interested in sharing his bank account information with Paypal. The net effect is that I have to run to the bank every now and then for sterling/euro bank drafts for silly amounts like 41 pounds or more for books across the pond. The drafts cost as much as their net worth ...

I am feeling a little sheepish not having realized that Mr. Read is in fact the seller/lister of the concertina. I thought perhaps he was just bringing a very attractive Edgley to our attention. For the usual collective ooohs and aaaahs. (Which I did!!!) Did not mean to ask provocative questions.

Thank you again for responding. And for responding with temperance.

Lucy

Oops, I missed this discussion! Stephen has it right. I think Paypal are a complete rip-off but some people insist on using them and it is a fast way of paying. That ebony is absolutely beautiful though, isn't it.

The Paypal fee would be about $58 on a $2000 item. The ebay fees would be about the same amount. E-bay also charges for reserve auctions, whether the itme sells or not. To have an unsuccessful $2100 reserve auction on e-bay costs about $40. Some buyers won't bid on non-paypal items.

E-bay is a great service, making it possible to offer concertinas (and everything else) around the world. Sell for more than you expected and paying fees is fine. Make a few mistakes and selling that item can cost you a few hundred $$. Not a good feeling. It's always a gamble.

Good Luck!