Music Writing Software

Hi - sorry about this, it is sort of related to concertinas in a way - does anyone use an easy, and reasonably priced, music writing software package that they can recommend? I'm a complete beginner in the field who fancies having a go at swelling the already copious amounts of tunes out there - and also perhaps translating ABC format into something recognisable. I've heard of Sibelius and Finale but they seem to be a bit too professional for me, and I've also had a look at Melody and Harmony Assistant. These both seem good but it's difficult working out how easy they are when they won't let you do some things without paying for them, which I don't want to do until I'm reasonably sure I can use them. Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I just went through this and finale notepad is free and avoids you having to fiddle about with abc; you just click notes onto the lines, then get it to play back what you've put, you don't even need your instrument to check it as you go. It's very easy to get going and for an amateur dabbler like me seems spot on.

Everyone will now tell you how easy abc is and that you really should go through a learning exercise to interpose an intermediate stage to get what you want. Sorry folks, I don't believe you!

Have had good luck with Harmony Assistant. Find it relatively easy to use and I've no formal musical training. Though must admit, I'm using only about 10% of its capabilities. Works for Windows or Macs.

See, I told you they'd try and get you to go via ABC. Sorry Klaus, but come on, deny it!

For writing I like a `wypiwys` (what you play is what you see) software like musicator, encore or finale. If I play my midi keyboard the music appears as played in a music sheet window.

But of course, ABC is OK for downloading loads of tunes (as long as they are not the `wrong` ABC format') and listen to them in some ABCplayer on your PC, or do you really think it is wrong to do that Dirge?

Hi - sorry about this, it is sort of related to concertinas in a way - does anyone use an easy, and reasonably priced, music writing software package that they can recommend? I'm a complete beginner in the field who fancies having a go at swelling the already copious amounts of tunes out there - and also perhaps translating ABC format into something recognisable. I've heard of Sibelius and Finale but they seem to be a bit too professional for me, and I've also had a look at Melody and Harmony Assistant. These both seem good but it's difficult working out how easy they are when they won't let you do some things without paying for them, which I don't want to do until I'm reasonably sure I can use them. Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not free, but very good for the $50 it costs, is Noteworthy Composer. I've used it for making publishable printed copies of music (including scores for the NESI 2004 Concertina Orchestra).

But for actual composing and arranging, I use my own program, UltiMusE. It is very quick to adjust notes and fix mistakes, even within chords. You can add chord symbols (like for us Duet players or your guitar backup friend), and those get transposed along iwth the ntoes if you change a section to a new key.

Unforch, it runs only under Linux, not WIndows or Mac. If you have a Linux boot on your PC, it's free and I can give you the URL to downlaod it from. It can import MIDI files but not ABC notation.

--Mike K.

See, I told you they'd try and get you to go via ABC. Sorry Klaus, but come on, deny it!

No, Dirge. It ´s a note programm and abc is a only one way to use it, if you want. Otherwise not. I never did any lessons with abc, because it seems complicated. With this programm musedit you may use abc with copy and paste. You copy the abc stuff and paste it into the programm and then -real magic-- you will see notes!

Oh fair enough, Klaus I am eating my words as I speak. (even though that's considered rude). Accept my apologies, would you?

Edited by Dirge

If you want to go the ABC way, which I would recommend because;

• thousands of tunes already encoded
  • does not clog up your machine with big files
  • can be played directly from ABC (I can't sight read manuscript but can easily read ABC!)
  • Its FREE

I would suggest ABC Navigator 2. Proper XP/Vista interface not the dire DOS based ones from previous programmes. The only down side is there is no Help/User Manual but not that hard to work it out.

As always this is only my view and YMMV

Edited by Lester Bailey

....I am eating my words as I speak...

Can you video it? ;) What would you think would be appropriate musical accompaniment? When I have to eat mine I think something like "The Swan" from "Carnival of the Animals" would be appropriate.

- W

p.s. HelenG - don't you realize how easy abc is - you really should go through a learning exercise to interpose an intermediate stage to get what you want. :o

Edited by Woody

....I am eating my words as I speak...

Can you video it? ;) What would you think would be appropriate musical accompaniment? When I have to eat mine I think something like "The Swan" from "Carnival of the Animals" would be appropriate.

- W

p.s. HelenG - don't you realize how easy abc is - you really should go through a learning exercise to interpose an intermediate stage to get what you want. :o

Hi - thanks to everyone for all the info - I've tried reading ABC and have all the instructions, but I find it quite hard to get the tempo right - also with solfa which I've had a go at. Trouble is I want to write stuff (ie. baritone parts/accompaniments - easy and infantile not hard and Mozart-ish) potentially for other people who find it much easier to read dots - as I do.