Anyone Played A Jackie English Concertina?

After a 20-year hiatus, I am getting back to playing the concertina. I had had a beautiful Wheatstone extended treble that I had to sell to pay the mortgage. I have just ordered a Jackie English concertina and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand? Any feedback on sound or anything else I should know about them? I would be most grateful for any feedback on them.

I got a Jackie and a Jack a few weeks ago and I too parted with a lovely Wheatstone many years ago. I think you will be very pleased with the action, they are very playable. The tone is fine but nothing like the Wheatstone because they have accordion reeds, I think you will find the thirty buttons quite a come down too, not at first as you find your way around a concertina again but I don't think it will be too long before you start thinking about an upgrade.

One or two of the reeds were a bit slow to speak but following advice emailed to me by Wim Wakker himself the Jack is now speaking freely enough and I'm very pleased with the instruments, very good value for money indeed. Welcome to the forum Nicholas, enjoy playing. :)

Thanks for your response. Just out of curiosity (and certainly out of my budget) what is a likely upgrade? In other words, what concertina's are in the next level of quality and what is the price range on them? I want to stay in the English style.

Thanks for your response. Just out of curiosity (and certainly out of my budget) what is a likely upgrade? In other words, what concertina's are in the next level of quality and what is the price range on them? I want to stay in the English style.

Check out Morse concertinas, who are in the States. Also Wim Wakker's Concertina Connection where the Jackie comes from, they offer a full trade in of your Jackie against certain models. Then there's always the vintage market....