Hohner Vs. Rochelle

I recently got a Hohner D40 and have been discovering that it isnt that great of quality mainly from reading on the site, since I have no previous expirence with concertinas nor do I know anyone that does. It has had some quirks with it like buzzing and ratteling and I have considered taking it back. I was told to just return it and get a Rochelle. What is the difference? Why whould you say that a Rochelle is so much better than a Hohner? I have to make my decision quick casue I only have 30 days to return my Hohner. I do love what I have expirenced with the concertina so far, I love the instrument.

~Sarah

Edited by sarahforgot

Yes, this has been talked about lots of times before and you can settle your thoughts instantly by doing searches on rochelle and hohner and seeing what they said.

I'm pretty sure they're unanimous in voting for the rochelle. I don't play Anglo but even I noticed the excitement when it first came out and the subsequent delight with the product for value.

Because Hohner is not a Hohner anymore. And when it was Hohner, still it wasn't good.

Unlike their accordions, that were backbone of accordion community across the World.

The only good thing about Hohners is the sound (and the look perhabs). Still good.

Rochell/Jackie/Jack were designed with beginner in mind. They still are made in China to cut the costs (boy, Chinese will sure avenge this), but keeping the quality control. The difference is like Russian made AK-47 against Romanian. Or German made Mercedes vs. N.Korean.

I recently got a Hohner D40 and have been discovering that it isnt that great of quality mainly from reading on the site, since I have no previous expirence with concertinas nor do I know anyone that does. It has had some quirks with it like buzzing and ratteling and I have considered taking it back. I was told to just return it and get a Rochelle. What is the difference? Why whould you say that a Rochelle is so much better than a Hohner? I have to make my decision quick casue I only have 30 days to return my Hohner. I do love what I have expirenced with the concertina so far, I love the instrument.

~Sarah

Am I right in thinking that the D40 is a 20 button Anglo? The Rochelle is 30 button and hence is more versatile and most Anglo players tend to move towards instruments of at least 30 buttons.

My personal experience from trying out a lot of budget Anglos, owning several (but not a D40), and now owning a Rochelle, is that the Rochelle is head and shoulders above anything anywhere near the same price. I wouldn't swap it for any other lower spec Anglos available - even one of the Stagis costing more than double the price of the Rochelle.

The only complaint I have about the Rochelle is that they don't make a G/D version.

Edited by Woody

Why whould you say that a Rochelle is so much better than a Hohner?

(1) The Rochelle action design is far superior to the Hohner's, which should address your buzzing/rattling issues.

(2) It's got 30 buttons, which will give you far more flexibility in playing styles and choices of keys than 20.

(3) It's got a concertina manufacturer with a good reputation standing behind it (Concertina Connection).

Daniel

I agree with all of the above, with the Rochelle you will have the support of a highly regarded maker who posts on this forum. I recently bought a Jack and a Jackie (English baritone and treble concertinas), I had a couple of queries so I dropped Concertina Connections an email, within 48 hours I received a comprehensive reply from Wim Wakker in person, now that's what I call service.

The Rochelle will cost you about £60 more than the Hohner but your money will never be better spent. :)

Thanks for all the help, I'm now convinced I should have a Rochelle. But (there is always a but) unfortunately I can't find one for $150 and unless I can find one by the 24th of this month, it's either stick with my Hohner D-40, or I get nothing. So I'd rather have a Hohner then nothing at all. Maybe in a few years I can upgrade.

Thanks for all the help, I'm now convinced I should have a Rochelle. But (there is always a but) unfortunately I can't find one for $150 and unless I can find one by the 24th of this month, it's either stick with my Hohner D-40, or I get nothing. So I'd rather have a Hohner then nothing at all. Maybe in a few years I can upgrade.

What's that $150? Can you send an email to Concertina Connections and ask if they have lower quality Rochelles? Perhabs action is uneven, or buttons stick unevenly. Or slight bellows leakage. Seems like there is a treshhold beyond which anything that you spend is wasted. Like a new car under $10K.

Your Hohner already has problem. Sending instruments back and forth will cost you $20 here and $30 there. Fixing it locally will cost you some $50-$100, and it's not the end of your problems. Before you know it, you spent just as much as new Rochelle would cost you, and counting.

Seriously...

P.s.

The button Box sells D-40 at $225. Looks like it cost them $75 to make it work.

And I'm sure they only put minimal work into them.

The Rochelle is a pretty new product on the market and is a lot of Concertina for the price & excellent value, & I doubt you'd find a used one going at this sort of money for several years, if ever. On Ebay many much lower quality used Concertinas sell at this sort of price.

As m3838 says, you could try contacting Wim Wakker at concertinaconnection.com to see if he had anything, but I still think it's likely to cost you a lot more than $150.

The bottom line is that the better the quality of instrument you have, the easier it'll be to progress after the first beginning stages. Many Concertina players have started on instruments of similar quality to yours, and have made good progress, but you don't have to get too far before you find the instrument quality inhibiting the speed of improvement.

I test-drove a Rochelle (courtesy of the Music Room) when they first appeared. It was mechanically perfect, sounded fine and I played it in an unamplified band for a month where it could be heard at the back of the room, the only small minus (to me), is that it is "chunkier" than the average concertina, but ideal for beginners and a bargain at the price.

Go for it.

I have already writen to concertina connection and they dont have any in my price range. I'm thinking about asking my husband about putting another 50 on the credit card. I think I'll have a better chanch at getting something for 200, but I dont know if I can, 150 was pushing it. but we'll see. Hey if any body knows how I can earn an extra 50 let me know! :) I make and sell lots of random stuff if someone wants to buy something from me. :) Or you can donate to the "Wanna get a 'Real' Concertina" fund. I'm not giving up just yet, I still have a few more days to return the one I've got.

Edited by sarahforgot

I have already writen to concertina connection and they dont have any in my price range. I'm thinking about asking my husband about putting another 50 on the credit card. I think I'll have a better chanch at getting something for 200, but I dont know if I can, 150 was pushing it. but we'll see. Hey if any body knows how I can earn an extra 50 let me know! :) I make and sell lots of random stuff if someone wants to buy something from me. :) Or you can donate to the "Wanna get a 'Real' Concertina" fund. I'm not giving up just yet, I still have a few more days to return the one I've got.

Boy, you are on strict diet!

Do you absolutely HAVE to go with the Anglo Concertina, or perhabs you can give English system a go?

If yes, I can sell you my Jackie at $150 (plus dreaded shipping). I got it at $150, my new Albion is making it's way to me, and I have Jack too.

So if you must play like "hohnk-cha, hohnk-cha --- tirlili, tirlili" -- it's Anglo.

If you don't mind only "tirlili, tirlili, tirlili, tirlili" with ocasional "Rra-ah" -- it's English.

And in the meanwhile I'll be "Boo-boo-boo-ing" with my Jack.

(should I see a psyciatrist?)

Wel I talked it over with my husband and we agreeded to stick with the Hohner. It may not be the best I can get but I do like it. And Eventually in a couple years when he is out of school and working a higher paying job then construction I can upgrade to a really nice one. In the mean time I just play for a little bit on the side, I'm a stay at home mom so most of my time goes into taking care of my 3 month old and cleaning. And I do have other instruments I play too. I learned Banjo on a really really crappy banjo that never kept its tune, and I got pretty good on that old thing. And although a low quality may inhibit your playing a little, I have learned that you dont have to have an excelent instrument to become an excellent player. Thankyou for all your help. I'm sure I'll have many more posts asking how to fix something funny. :) I'm glad I found this forum it's totally awesome!

Well Sarah a lot of us started on a Hohner.There is a lot you can do and learn on one and then upgrade as you suggest if you really enjoy the instrument.

As for playing for a little bit on the side,I am sure there is a really good answer to that, but it escapes me at the moment.

Al

....Eventually in a couple years when he is out of school and working a higher paying job then construction I can upgrade to a really nice one.

Good luck with learning. You'll have a nice bit of time to get an idea of what you want in a more expensive Concertina when the time comes.

As for practising, I'm a stay at home Dad & I find I get the most practice done in the kitchen while waiting for things to cook. I find grabbing 5 mins practice here & there very helpful & I caqn easily get at least 30 mins a day in.