Not Concertina Related But Great Fun!

A friend in England sent this to me - please try that and enjoy :-)

Follow these steps:

1. Go to www.google.co.uk

2. Click on 'Maps'.

3. Click on 'Get directions'. (top of screen)

4. Type in from ' Atlanta ' to ' Paris, France '.

5. Click on 'Get directions'.

6. Scroll down the directions to number 22.

Follow these steps:

2. Click on 'Maps'.

Is there a prize for the first person to validate these directions, since I understand that this is a new feature? :unsure:

I have my doubts about those 3,462 minutes :unsure: . The last time it took me more than 4,000 :(

I'm pretty sure that "mi" is miles, not minutes. Step 3. shows "361 ft", which I also suspect to be "feet", not "femtoseconds". :)

Using as a maximum average swimming speed the current world's record for the 1500-meter freestyle event, I calculate that it should take at least 88½ days of nonstop swimming to cover that distance. :o To do it in 4000 minutes -- less than 3 days, -- I think you must have used water wings! Not sure that that's permitted under Google's competition rules. :unsure:

Sigh, I only wish Google would provide options for minimizing swiming :). After all, you could always swim to Great Britain and then take a ferry or the Chunnel the rest of the way :) Or you could drive to the Bering Sea and swim 70 miles....

--

Bill

Works on US Google too.

Follow these steps:

2. Click on 'Maps'.

Sigh, I only wish Google would provide options for minimizing swiming :). After all, you could always swim to Great Britain and then take a ferry or the Chunnel the rest of the way :) Or you could drive to the Bering Sea and swim 70 miles....

Sounds pretty cool!

But don't forget to check in at the official Russian entry post, or they'll send you back. :o

It works in reverse too, but rather bizarrely. I just tried Land's End, at the very western tip of England, to Washington DC. Google had me going east to Portsmouth,across to France then drive to Le Havre. At that point I stopped because I had forgotten to bring my swimming trunks and goose grease.

Chris

It seems to be confused about ferries.

I've tried a few routes where I know there are ferries, e.g. Lerwick to Bergen,Norway, and got

5 Turn right at Bergen-Lerwick

6 Continue on Bergen-Lerwick (200 mi)

I think there is a Bergen-Lerwick boat, it just doesn't tell you to go on a boat.

Similarly, Kirkwall to Bergen directs you to Stromness, where there is a ferry to Shetland,

then on to the Bergen-Lerwick boat.

Is there a boat sailing from Boston to Le Havre?

Hmmm, so I thought I'd check on the recommended route from Kilkee (where I'll soon be living) on the Atlantic coast of Co. Clare to New Orleans (haven't been there since Katrina). But it seems that I have to head east to Le Havre first (involvng two ferry journeys), before "67. Swim across the Atlantic Ocean 5,572 km" to Boston. :blink:

Sure, any fool could see that I'd be better off if I drove the few miles (west) to Loop Head first, then swam across (the shortest route, the same as the planes) to St. John's, Newfoundland! :unsure:

In fact, I haven't seen Paul Cranford in a while, maybe I could drop off at the lighthouse, for a coffee to warm me up after the swim! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers