26th-28th October 2007 Aberdeen,scotland

Dr Ian Russell the Director of the Elphinstone Insitute at Aberdeen University is planning to hold this event on the above dates and it will feature the leading concertina, mouth organ,accordion and melodeon players from Britain and beyond.I attended the first festival held in 2003 and it was superb.Amongst the guests at that event were Mary Macnamara,Stuart Eydman,Will Duke,Norman Chalmers and Simon Thourmire and other superb musicians such as Jacky Daly,Andrew Macnamara,Dan Quinn and Pip Murphy the well known Wexford mouth organ player.

Ian is planning a top class line up for this event including many of the leading concertina players in Britain and Ireland snd beyond.

Top class accommodation will be available.At the 2003 event I stayed in the University's guest accommodation, which was very comfortable with great food.Aberdeen is a vibrant city with its own airport.I am hoping to take a party of concertina players from this area.

I'll post further information as soon as it is available.

Guest Old Leaky
26th-28th October 2007 Aberdeen,scotland, "Mouthies & Button Boxes" Festival

Despite the debacle that was yesterday's (3rd May) Parliamentary Election here, scotland (sic) still has a CAPITAL!

How did you find out about this and where will we get updates as they become available? I'm very interested, being in Scotland and falling into three categories - Button Box, Concertina and Moothie - although I might have to use the STV (Single Transferable Vote) process that caused much of our electoral confusion!

Edited by Old Leaky

Ian Russell used to live in Sheffield and is still well known in the area due to his continued work on the "Sheffield Carols" and the annual festival.

I would imagine that most people involved in the Carols or the Folkscene in Sheffield would know who Ian is. My parents know him personally as I assume Mark does.

Guest Old Leaky
Ian Russell used to live in Sheffield and is still well known in the area due to his continued work on the "Sheffield Carols" and the annual festival.

I would imagine that most people involved in the Carols or the Folkscene in Sheffield would know who Ian is. My parents know him personally as I assume Mark does.

Er, mine are no longer with us and I don't even know who Ian is so how where will this info be available? Is there a website?

Apologies :(

My reply wasn't all that helpful sorry :wacko: . At least you know how Mark knows about it - probably :ph34r:

We'll have to wait for Mark to come back to us.

John Kirkpatrick isn't available this weekend as he is running a B/C/C# workshop and doing a concert on the 28th in St. Albans

Edited by Peter Brook

... scotland (sic) still has a CAPITAL!

Only one? ;)

How did you find out about this and where will we get updates as they become available? I'm very interested, being in Scotland and falling into three categories - Button Box, Concertina and Moothie ...

The official title is 'Button Boxes and Moothies,' and there's a reference to it in the Spring Newsletter of the Elphinstone Institute:

The ... second Free Reed Convention, ‘Button Boxes and Moothies’, 26-28 October 2007, ... will celebrate the vibrant traditions of playing such instruments as mouth organs, concertinas, melodeons, and button boxes. Further details will be available soon.

And there is an informative page about Dr Ian Russell, Director, Ethnology, oral traditions, including singing, music-making, drama and speech, here: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/elphinstone/staff/russell.shtml

I don't know--would it be safe visiting one of those unstable western European countries to attend a concertina event. I would hate to fly into heathrow, get to Scotland, then not be able to get back to the airport because Northrumbia is up in arms. :D

Alan

scotland (sic) still has a CAPITAL!
As in Scotland? :huh: B)

I was thinking more as in Dunfermline or Stirling (ancient capitals) Perth (for long the effective 'capital' because the royal court was usually there) or Edinburgh (the official capital) or the "pretender" capital Glasgow (also European Capital of Culture 1990 and European Capital of Sport 2003)? B)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Guest Old Leaky
I don't know--would it be safe visiting one of those unstable western European countries to attend a concertina event. I would hate to fly into heathrow, get to Scotland, then not be able to get back to the airport because Northrumbia is up in arms. :D

Alan

Er, you could always try flying straight into Scotland (well, not into it, could be a bumpy landing if you get my drift!), and cut out the middle man/England. Or, via Canada - or is that suggestion even more of a dilemma for those Stateside?

Alan

Er, you could always try flying straight into Scotland (well, not into it, could be a bumpy landing if you get my drift!), and cut out the middle man/England. Or, via Canada - or is that suggestion even more of a dilemma for those Stateside?

Can you fly straight into Scotland form the states? I'v never really checked it out.

Now that I live down south, canada just isn't as convenient. growing up, it was the country north south and east of me. besides, with my luck, quebec will finally get it together and go independent as well, shooting down airliners going overhead between scotland and Toronto.

Alan

Afraid of experiencing Northrumbosis? :unsure:

Actually, I think there's been more trouble on the Scandinavian side of the North Sea, what with SAS going on strike. :ph34r:

Guest Old Leaky

Er, Alan are you deliberately winding me up with this small "s" stuff already?

Edited by Old Leaky

Er, Alan are you deliberately winding me up with this small "s" stuff already?

No my friend, just started out on this online business back in the days when they charged by the minute, so it wasn't always cost affective to correct minor errors.

Besides one Scotland with a big S, one with a small which made out better then Quebec.

Alan

• 2 months later...

Free Reed Convention,Aberdeen 26th-28th October

Among the guests confirmed are:-

Jackie Daly

Mary MacNamara

Kate MacNamara

Pip Murphy

Katie Howson

Robert Harbron

Simon Thoumire

George Current

Bob Hay

Doddie Murray

Gordon Easton

Fred Davidson

With talks by:-

Vic Gammon

Stuart Eydmann

Michael Wright

plus...

Guest Old Leaky
Free Reed Convention,Aberdeen 26th-28th October

Among the guests confirmed are:-

Jackie Daly

Mary MacNamara

Kate MacNamara

GREAT! WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!!!

When I G**gle it, it wants me to use "Button Boxes and Smoothies"!

Edited by Old Leaky