Can Anything Be Done To Improve The Action

Hello all,

Ive been playing Anglo concertina for nearly 2 years now.

Im finding it really hard work not only on the grey matter but on my knuckles too, after about 30mins the bones in my hands ache really bad.(possibly the beginnings of arthritis who knows?)

My concertina is a Marcus, C/G, Can anything be done to improve the action? does anyone know anyone who can do this? Otherwise i will have to sell it and find something else.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Gilly x

Hello Gilly,

Concertina playing can put some strain on joints and connective tissue. The where, how and why of that strain can be a very individual thing. Those aches pains and strains can depend on your overall health, or your playing technique, or your practice habits. Sometimes a peculiarity in an instrument can contribute to discomfort.

I've personally found that vigorously playing reels for hours at a time is not good for my hand, arm or shoulder well being nor conducive to long term playing improvement! (I'm constantly reminding myself that I need a long term approach with short playing intervals and lots of stretching.)

Anything greater than mild discomfort is a good reason to rethink your regular playing habits.

A consultation with a doctor, especially one experienced in dealing with musicians and hand and connective tissue problems can begin a path to recovery in case of a health issue or injury. I've found that after the doctors visit that a referal to a physical therapist can really work wonders if you embrace the stretching and strengthening exercises they may suggest and continue to due them once your visits are done.

There might be something peculiar to your instrument that is making an existing condition worse. Just like the doctors visit for your body, getting consultation from a repair person or experienced player can help you decide if a change to your instrument is necessary.

Most of us have had to work through minor and/or major pain and injury issues. I'm sure I speak for us all in wishing you the best of luck in finding out what is bothering you and hoping you can continue to play concertina.

Greg

I have a Marcus C/G and generally find it a very light action.

The one change I have made however is to put higher handles on - about 33mm high.

This raises my hands straightening the wrist joint and allows my fingers to fall more naturally on to the keys rather than being curled over with the hand bent back at the wrist.

The following article may be useful Health Issues

regards

Jake

The height of the handles is a good point. It does allow the fingers to fall in a more comfortable position onto the buttons. 7/8" - 1" is a good height, I find. If you're not up to changing the handles, loosen the straps. Most players tend to have the straps too tight. As your expertise increases, the straps should be loosened. I have about 1/2" space between my palm and the handles. It will take some getting used to. Many players tend to play too hard, especially when coming from a lower-end instrument. You should be able to relax when playing. If it takes force to get the notes to sound satisfactorily, the perhaps the "timing" of the reeds needs to be lowered a bit. This is tricky, as it will probably put the instrument slightly out of tune. If you think this may be the problem, check it out with an expert who will be able to tell you if the reeds are set up properly for this type of instrument.