Hastings (uk) Jack In The Green Session Sunday May 6th

This is just to let you know that myself and Bryan 'Trooper' Hawes of this list are hosting a session of tunes and songs at the Hastings Jack in the Green Festival this year. It will be on the Sunday evening (6th May) at about 19:30 in the White Rock Hotel which is opposite Hastings Pier.

The Hotel bar is non-smoking and it sells a number of decent Kent and Sussex Ales. The manager has promised some Dark Star Hophead, a wonderful session ale, for those that might have met that.

So there'll be at least 2 anglo players there with mostly English tunes plus a smattering of Breton and Galician and anything else that visitors come up with.

If you're around, we hope to see you there.

Alan Jeffries and Bryan Hawes.

hi peter the dobro question would be no,alan is an anglo concertina player.

will look forward to seeing you on sunday night

bryan.h

Eh Up trooper,

Sorry but I'll not be able to make it down this year.... too busy looking after my humungous rebellious belly :o

Play a few for me and sup my share of ale :lol:

Prebs

Edited by Dave Prebble

The manager has promised some Dark Star Hophead, a wonderful session ale

A beer specifically brewed to be drunk at sessions? All the alcohol but doesn't affect the fingers. Ah, I wish :)

Chris

It could only happen in Hastings. The end of the beer show! :D Rosie and I will be going so, hope to see you all in the evening.

Chris

hi all

Thanks for that dave oh well if you are unable to get down this year at least my fridge will stay well stocked!!! ho ho.

will be thinking of you while I down the odd pint or two.

will see you at the music week end later in the year ,all the best

trooper

The manager has promised some Dark Star Hophead, a wonderful session ale
A beer specifically brewed to be drunk at sessions? All the alcohol but doesn't affect the fingers. Ah, I wish :)

No, no!
I want a beer that
does
affect the fingers, giving them extra competence and artistry.
;)

No, no!

I want a beer that
does
;)

[/indent]

or failing that, Jim, maybe a beer that affects audience ears enabling them to hear how wonderful your playing is whether 'assisted' or not B)

chris ( who would also like a dexterity and memory improving beer)

I forgot to add 'memory'

Edited by chris

No, no!

I want a beer that
does
;)

or failing that, Jim, maybe a beer that affects audience ears enabling them to hear how wonderful your playing is whether 'assisted' or not B)

Reduce their discriminatory powers?

Beer already has a tendency to cause people to like things that no sober person should be caught dead approving of... like schlock renditions of "Wild Rover", incompetent bodhran players, and wide-screen football in pubs on session night. :ph34r:

I'm happy to be the first to report that the evening was a roaring success, I for one have never seen so many concertinas together in one place. There was a vast array of melodeons, tiny ones like the Castignari Lilly being by far the most popular. Lots of tune playing, a fair bit of singing and a good mix of styles.

Well done Alan and Bryan, good stuff! :D

I think the concertina count was 2 english (although only one was played as the owner also had one of those stupid single reed lilly's ;) ) and 7 Anglos (but only 5 players as two players had two Anglos).

Oddly there were also three northumbrian pipers (who were in tune with themselves - part of the time :lol:) and a man playing a goose :blink: (Breton pipes perhaps?) and then the more normal melodeons, piano accordians, whistles and fiddles.

A great session and hopefully with everything crossed it may become a regular fixture.

and a man playing a goose :blink: (Breton pipes perhaps?)

I thought that was a cow's udder in a grey sock. :lol:

We forgot to mention three guitars, four recorders, a tabor, a chap near the bar playing two sets of bones, a percussive banana (I kid you not) and a brace of tambourines. [disgust] Oh and one piano accordion [/disgust] :rolleyes:

hi all

Just to reply to peters(man playing a goose) the man playing was mick gander hence ( goose )his nick name how much session ale did you have peter! IT was a great evening good to see a lot of old friends,

there was the odd point or two that we will take on board for next year.many thanks to all who turned up.

c player

(man playing a goose) the man playing was mick gander hence ( goose )his nick name

c player

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh well - I still think it looked like a goose he was playing - especially through the bottom of a pint glass :D

I think the concertina count was 2 english (although only one was played as the owner also had one of those stupid single reed lilly's ;) ) and 7 Anglos (but only 5 players as two players had two Anglos).

I don't know how much Dark Star hophead you drank Peter, or at what time during the evening you made your concertina count but in addition to the Anglos, of which there were several Jeffries, I might add, there were at least 3 English, all Wheatstones, belonging to myself, my partner Rosie and Dave from Greensleeves morris and all being played, as long as we knew the tune. Despite the relatively large number of concertinas there, sadly they didn't feature much because it was such a huge session, dominated by the louder melodeons, and also by the nature of the way the session was run as a play around/sing around. Overall, I quite enjoyed the session and I liked the variety of instruments there. I am not against singing but I felt there was far too much of it and given that two Anglo players were running it, I felt that they didn't give more prominence to the other concertina players there, a point I made to Bryan afterwards. Perhaps they were trying to be fair to all the musicans/singers but not once during the evening, did I get an opportunity to start a tune and due to the fairly strict nature I felt the way the session was being run (though Bryan told me he didn't think it was) I felt it was wrong to slip in a tune that, due to the quietness of concertinas, probably wouldn't have been heard and thus picked up by the other musicians anyway. Earlier in the day, Rosie and I went to a free for all session in the Wellington for a bit. There were just a few musicians there. People took it in turns to start a tune and because the room was small and had quite good accoustics, my concertina was loud enough to be heard. It was a really nice session. I guess any session is better than no session at all, so well done Bryan and Alan and I hope you forgive my gripes and take them onboard as honest feedback!

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater