Different-looking Old German One

Daniel Hersh

Hello Christian,

What you say seems ok to me, but I am not German (maybe you will drive through my home town if you take the car to visit Wim Wakker). So, who is going to translate the entire Concertina.net pages into german language?

A machine I do hope! I am going to take the car as it is not far from where I live but Wim Wakker hasn´t answered yet...

I have watched the notes on authors on that page but there are too many and they didn´t ring a bell at all.

Also I am curious whether the one who made up this german wikepadia page, just has been reading Stephen Chamber´s history page on Louis Lachenal, or somebody who knows more and has other sources of information.

Schoenen Tag noch,

Marien

Hm, good question - the instrument shown is the one from "profrat", I am not sure whether it´s his name here or at youtube´s (can´t recall his real name at the moment).

It seems to be a badly translated text as I do remember older versions with even more mistakes, i.e. wrong names and words just looked up in a dictionary instead of actually knowing what they mean in the concertina context.

dir auch!

Christian

Wow, nice pictures indeed, especially the Eulenstein, very rare I suppose.

Marien,

It's a unique survival of something that nobody even suspected existed. This one is numbered 4, but we can therefore only suppose that at least three more of them were made. :unsure:

... Louis Lachenal was booked as being clock maker when he arrived in England, as shown in Stephens pages. Does history need more proof that he really was? The sheet indicates that he was a professional clock maker before 1839. OK he was just 18 but, after all, clock maker was his profession in the immigration sheet and child labour (starting as young as you could earn money for the family) was really not uncommon those days.

The Certificate of Arrival states that he was a watchmaker (not clockmaker) when he came to England and I suspect that he had only recently finished his apprenticeship at the time, but there is no evidence that he followed that occupation there and he seems to have taken up engineering instead (training in watch/clock making being considered a good way to learn the skills at the time). However his travelling companions, the Golay brothers, did become respected watch makers in London.

Also I am curious whether the one who made up this german wikepadia page, just has been reading Stephen Chamber´s history page on Louis Lachenal, or somebody who knows more and has other sources of information.

It sounds to me that some of their information is what has passed for "concertina history" hitherto, before any serious research was undertaken on the subject. Our knowledge of these things has increased hugely in the last decade.