English And Scottish Happenings

I will be travelling to England in September and Scotland in October. I have been trying to find out if there is anywhere I can meet up with other English concertina players. I intend to get to Witney (without the H). Before that I will be in Sheffield and then Southern England. When I am in Scotland I intend to head north until I have to stop. Visiting Skye is a must.

These are vague plans that can be varied.

Being from Northern Tasmania there are very few opportunities for me to mix with and learn from other players. I am house trained but do enjoy a few bad habits.

We have a fortnightly music session for concertina players of all systems in pub near Sheffield.It largely consists of noisy anglo players but both myself and Geoff Wright also play English concertinas.We sometimes invite guest musicians(ie:Jody Kruskal,Mike Hebbert,Paul Walker,Richard Carlin etc)and speakers on concertina topics(Geoff Crabb)Neil Wayne is a staunch supporter of the sessions and always has something interesting to show us or talk about.Well known players and repairers Dave Prebble & Bill Crossland are also regular attenders.The Landlord is very supportive and the pub serves good modestly priced food,the pies being renowned.Contact me for further details.

I will be travelling to England in September and Scotland in October. I have been trying to find out if there is anywhere I can meet up with other English concertina players.

There's the West Country Concertina October weekend at Kilve in Somerset, October 19-21 October. Although started specifically for begginers this has, I am told, become a relaxed weekend for players of all levels of expertise. Although tuition is primarily aimed at learners and intermediate level players, there are a lot of experienced players go along just to make music together.

Any concertina player in Scotland in October would be foolish to miss the Arran Concertina Event :D , 5th to 8th October. For further information about past events click on the links in my signature, or pm/email me with any questions.

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

Thanks for all the help. I am now in a position to venture forward. I will definately be at the Sheffield sessions in early September. The Arran Islands sound great and i will try and make it there. Is there any advice on how I should do this ie take a car, tent (is other accommodation possible?

Kilve sounds like a good thing to do before I leave. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be in touch for more details

I will be travelling to England in September and Scotland in October. I have been trying to find out if there is anywhere I can meet up with other English concertina players. I intend to get to Witney. Before that I will be in Sheffield and then Southern England. When I am in Scotland I intend to head north until I have to stop.

If you happen to be in the Edinburgh area on your way up or back, please get in touch, and we can arrange to meet somewhere.

I hope to get to the Arran event again this year - perhaps we'll meet there.

I will be travelling to England in September and Scotland in October. I have been trying to find out if there is anywhere I can meet up with other English concertina players. I intend to get to Witney. Before that I will be in Sheffield and then Southern England. When I am in Scotland I intend to head north until I have to stop.

If you happen to be in the Edinburgh area on your way up or back, please get in touch, and we can arrange to meet somewhere.

I hope to get to the Arran event again this year - perhaps we'll meet there.

Thanks,

I'll keep your email and let you know when I am heading north. Edinburgh is a must

Cheers,

Mike Watts