Pete Dickey Rip

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death, earlier today of Pete Dickey.He was recently diagnosed with cancer and died at home in Chesterfield,Derbyshire.Pete was an enthusiastic concertina player and a great supporter of local music sessions.His passion for the instrument took him to events on Arran and in Swaledale and he was,until recent weeks,an ever present player at The Royal Concertina Sessions at Dungworth,South Yorkshire.He got great enjoyment from his attendance at the local Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend and was at his happiest in the company of his great pals Dave Prebble and Geoff Crabb.I received the news shortly after returning from the funeral and musical celebration of the life of Barry Callaghan.I will post details of the funeral arrangements as soon as they are to hand.

Peter, like me, was a champion of all things Northumbrian, especially tunes - a really genuine bloke who will be sadly missed.

The Dungworth concertina group has had a particularly sad month losing two of our most colourfull players in short succession.

I sorry to hear this news. I only met Peter once at a session at Greenside, but we kept in touch after that and he was delightfully generous with information on concertinas. A true gent.

Pete(in the blue shirt)in company with Dave Prebble at the 2004 Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend

Should there be a link or a photo in this post? If so, I can't see it.

Sad news indeed. Another good one gone.

I met Pete at Swaledale and he came to the Arran Concertina Event last year. He was a great asset at both events, friendly and encouraging and he will be sorely missed at ACE this year.

Samantha

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death, earlier today of Pete Dickey.He was recently diagnosed with cancer and died at home in Chesterfield,Derbyshire.Pete was an enthusiastic concertina player and a great supporter of local music sessions.His passion for the instrument took him to events on Arran and in Swaledale and he was,until recent weeks,an ever present player at The Royal Concertina Sessions at Dungworth,South Yorkshire.He got great enjoyment from his attendance at the local Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend and was at his happiest in the company of his great pals Dave Prebble and Geoff Crabb.I received the news shortly after returning from the funeral and musical celebration of the life of Barry Callaghan.I will post details of the funeral arrangements as soon as they are to hand.
Mark, I am so very, very sad to hear this. I met Pete only once, for a brief minute in the Royal Hotel at the Bradfield Weekend last year and within that short time I made a personal note, making sure to meet him again next (this) year. And that note has been coming back at regular intervals.

/Henrik

It was so heartbreaking to return from holiday to learn of such sad news.

I was one who knew of Pete's condition and had hoped that he was fit enough for chemo to buy him some time but alas this was not to be.

Pete visited me here in Dalgety Bay in Scotland in 2005 with Dave Prebble and others to attend a party that we threw for a couple of visitors from the USA who were on holiday with us. We enjoyed a day of Pete and Dave's playing on their concertinas and Pete on his guitarPete.bmp - it was brilliant.

Last year my wife and I were invited to BTMW 2006 where Pete and Dave played their concertinas together with a host of other musicians in the pubs - an experience that I will never forget.

Goodbye Pete - long may you be remembered.

Mike

A sad loss to this community and to all those who knew him.

I first met Pete when he came to cnet looking for an replacement endbolt. He brought along his english concertina and a new bolt was sorted out in 2 minutes flat. We spent the following 5 or 6 hours in the workshop playing tunes and talking concertinas. It was immediately clear to us both that we were true 'kindred spirits'

By the end of that day he was a confirmed anglo addict, determined to learn to play in the English chordal style and to get himself a Jeffries. The first ambition, he achieved with astonishing speed and never looked back. The second he managed within a year and his Jeffries remained his pride and joy to the last.

I count myself lucky indeed to have found a friend who became as close to me as a brother - I shall miss him deeply.

Pete was very brave in the face of adversity, bore his illness without complaint and wanted no fuss. When I saw him in hospital, he asked me to apologise to everyone for keeping things quiet, and to explain that he had very limited energy and was saving this for his family. He asked me to forward his thanks to folks for their e-mails and letters and for all the kindness, friendship, fun and music they have shared with him over the years.

Sadly I didn't get to see him again as I was rushed into hospital myself and have only just got out. I am so glad Pete made it home to spend his last days in the love and care of his family.

I will let folks know as soon as the funeral arrangements have been sorted out and I am sure we will be organising a musical wake in the near future.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Val and his children, Emma and Tom.

Dave

I 'met' Pete online about 18 months ago, through Dave Prebble. Even though we hadn't met, I count Pete as a mate. From reading the posts on here, it is clear that he had the same effect on most everyone he met. He encouraged me to practice and was genuinely looking forward to us getting together to play music, as was I.

I am travelling to the UK in July/August, to attend the Bradfield music weekend. Meeting and playing music with Pete was to be one of the highlights. I was so looking forward to hearing him play and learning from him.

When Pete told me about his illness, I was shocked and very saddened. My heart goes out to Val, Tom and Emma. I feel so far away, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

It will be a Bradfield to remember this year Pete, and I know you'll be there in spirit. Just won't be the same though mate. I count myself as very lucky to have known you for the short time I did.

Hello everyone,

I spoke to Val this morning and passed on the kind thoughts and sentiments expressed by folks here on Cnet and she asked me to convey her thanks to you all.

The funeral is to be held this coming Thursday 3rd may at 12:00 am at St Lawrence's Church, North Wingfield near Chesterfield and all Pete's friends will be most welcome.

There will be a reception afterwards at a local hostelry (details to be finalised)

I include some location maps below for those not familiar with the area. Feel free to email me or send a PM if you need further information.

Regards

Dave Prebble

post-49-1177932237_thumb.jpgpost-49-1177932260_thumb.jpgpost-49-1177932291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Prebble

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Old Leaky
I met Pete at Swaledale and he came to the Arran Concertina Event last year. He was a great asset at both events, friendly and encouraging and he will be sorely missed at ACE this year.

Samantha

Only somewhat belatedly, having several times scanned over the thread about his sad demise, have I made the connection with Pete - I shared a room at the bunkhouse at ACE 2006 with Pete and his nephew Arran (true). As a newbie to ACE, Pete was my first tangible connection with the event, him being the only other concertina player I encountered (at the bar!) on the ferry crossing to Brodick despite expectations of a session en route. I can only echo the tributes already expressed here and add that the happenstance of that first meeting and our subsequent "close quarters" during the weekend make his passing more poignant for me. I trust all went well at his send off.

Edited by Old Leaky