The Joys Of Traveling With A Concertina

On the way to Neffa, my concertina ignited a minor commotion at Washington National Airport. The screener ran it through the Xray machine 3 times, then called a supervisor, who bundled me off to a private area to examine it. After I opened the case, he insisted on swabbing it for explosive residue. I play hard, but not THAT hard.

In contrast, at Logan in Boston the screener just asked "what's that machine? "

A concertina, I replied.

Then the security guy at the metal detector started dancing and singing "Momma's got a Squeezebox, Daddy doesn't sleep at night."

It made my day.

Had a similar experience in the Glasgow airport. The screen froze on an X-ray of my carrying case, showing all the inside springs, reeds, levers, etc. A visibly excited security guy yelled for his supervisor. The super took one look, laughed and said "Aw, Jimmy, are ye that skeert by a wee squeeze-box?" :lol:

I suppose it didn't help that I had big stickers on the "little black box" saying BIODH ALBA NEO-NIUCLACH and CUMHACHD NIUCLACH? CHA GHABH IDIR! :rolleyes:

Edited by yankeeclipper

In contrast, at Logan in Boston the screener just asked "what's that machine? "

A concertina, I replied.

Then the security guy at the metal detector started dancing and singing "Momma's got a Squeezebox, Daddy doesn't sleep at night."

It made my day.

Such are the contrasts one encounters in the Boston Area. I'd wager Morse to Edgely that the same security guy going to or coming from work would most likely have cut you off in traffic on I-93 and given you the single fingered Boston Salute.

It is a pleasant suprise Jim, as Logan folks are still very up tight since 9-11. They really gave my two Goth kids the third degree going through security on the way to San Francisco last Monday.

Edited by Mark Evans

It is a pleasant suprise Jim, as Logan folks are still very up tight since 9-11. They really gave my two Goth kids the third degree going through security on the way to San Francisco last Monday.

Ah well, at least the third degree lamps will have improved their complexions and made them a little less pasty-faced eh? ;)

As a complete tangent, I used to have various goth friends, who every now and again would invite me to pub nights where people in long black coats and purple frilly shirts would stand around listening to the Sisters Of Mercy looking slightly gloomy. Needless to say I violated the dress code completely and would often go in a bright red sweater just for the fun of it.

On the way to Neffa, my concertina ignited a minor commotion at Washington National Airport. The screener ran it through the Xray machine 3 times, then called a supervisor, who bundled me off to a private area to examine it. After I opened the case, he insisted on swabbing it for explosive residue. I play hard, but not THAT hard.

The father of one of my ex-GFs was a senior Civil Servant in Northern Ireland during the troubles. He regularly travelled to London & back on flights carrying important national politicians and senior local politicians from both sides of the divide. One of his favourite pastimes was to hunt for obscure objects to pack in his bags to try and confuse the security staff and make the journeys less tedious.

Had a similar experience in the Glasgow airport. The screen froze on an X-ray of my carrying case, showing all the inside springs, reeds, levers, etc. A visibly excited security guy yelled for his supervisor. The super took one look, laughed and said "Aw, Jimmy, are ye that skeert by a wee squeeze-box?" :lol:

I suppose it didn't help that I had big stickers on the "little black box" saying BIODH ALBA NEO-NIUCLACH and CUMHACHD NIUCLACH? CHA GHABH IDIR! :rolleyes:

Makes me think of the Irish song "Moses Ri-tooral-i-ay".

Is it possible that even someone in Glasgow might have suspected those stickers were something in Arabic? :ph34r:

Yes, x-rayed concertinas look really suspicious to the uninitiated and can produce extreme responses of alarm (with all those "wires" and "nails" radiating out inside it - that's what it looks like to the operator! :blink: ) or friendly recognition ("Is that a Wheatstone or a Lachenal?") at some airports like Luton or Shannon (where you're more likely to encounter an Irish musician).

Ah, but how many of the security guys at Glasgow speak Gaelic? Or do the stickers have the radiation symbol on them??? :unsure:

[

Ah well, at least the third degree lamps will have improved their complexions and made them a little less pasty-faced eh? ;)

You'd think so, but my daughter travels with a tube of high-powered sunblock in one of her many studded pockets. <_<

Edited by Mark Evans

In Columbus, they sall the mechanism, and thought it was an autoharp (lots of wires lined up with each other is the way the woman explained it. I think the airport federales were actually taking bets on what kind of musical instrament it was.

Alan

One of his favourite pastimes was to hunt for obscure objects to pack in his bags to try and confuse the security staff and make the journeys less tedious.

Less tedious for whom? :unsure: I must have been in the line backed up behind him a hundred times or more... :rolleyes:

Edited by yankeeclipper

Two things I was warned about when traveling with a concertina (both sound a bit iffy but may have happened once) relate to Jim's story.

One is that if you place the instrument on the x-ray belt on its side (ends up and down) then the resulting x-ray image with its radial arrangement of levers and reeds does, indeed, look like a known type of bomb.

The other is that if asked what it is, avoid using the word "concertina" because that word is on the list of forbidden items. It can mean "concertina wire," which is a weapon. To avoid confiscation, say "musical instrument," "squeezebox," or (aaaack!) "accordion."

One of his favourite pastimes was to hunt for obscure objects to pack in his bags to try and confuse the security staff and make the journeys less tedious.

Less tedious for whom? :unsure: I must have been in the line backed up behind him a hundred times or more... :rolleyes:

Well I don't know for sure, it's a long time since I last saw him, but I kind of got the impression that he didn't have to join the normal queue like us plebs (I speak for myself - not implying anything about your social standing :D ).

I've been trying to remember some of the things he took, but it's such a long time ago I can't remember all the different things. I know one time he carried a large number of old clock springs and keys, and another time he had a strange conversation on a flight with Ian Paisley who was asking him why his briefcase contained a full set of cutlery, salt and pepper pot, and a candlestick!

- W

Well I don't know for sure, it's a long time since I last saw him, but...
Was it before 9/11/2001? I'm not sure this would be taken as lightly now. Might wind up being more tedious.

Absolutely - different times

Well I don't know for sure, it's a long time since I last saw him, but...
Was it before 9/11/2001? I'm not sure this would be taken as lightly now. Might wind up being more tedious.

Absolutely - different times

If he was with the security services he would have used the famous "Belfast broom cupboard". On arrival at Belfast Airport to avoid any "security" issues in the normal terminal, MOD personnel went through a door marked "cleaning". Of course this wasn't a cleaning cup board at all and led into their own security check area away from the public. Definitely very :ph34r: