St Georges Day

But does St. Guthlac have a big sword and kill things?

Following Stuart's patron saint of concertinas line; got to be St Matthew, the tax collectors' man. Clearly interested in squeezing people.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we managed to organise an extra Lancaster Gregson session last night with only English tunes allowed. It lead to some debate about the origins of some of them of course and we all feel like we could do with a better knowledge of early music! Perhaps this is also due to the first Lancaster international hurdy gurdy festival having finished on Sunday.

Robin Madge

the first Lancaster international hurdy gurdy festival

The very idea of an international hurdy-gurdy festival is somehow terrifying but wonderful. I hope there was a big ensemble play-through of something at the end of it!

Hurdy-gurdy is definitely on my list of "instruments I must get round to one day..."

Back to patron saints: having had a look on Wikipedia it appears that St. Erasmus of Formiae is a busy chap - he's already the patron saint of "pyrotechnicians, steeplejacks, chimney sweeps, sailors and anyone who works at great heights". Presumably if he was made patron saint of concertinas, it's pretty likely that he wouldn't even notice. :lol:

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I just think that if we have to have a Patron Saint it would be nice to have one that's actually got some link to England and actually set foot in the country, not just some Turkish bloke imposed on us by some Johnny foreigner ne'er do well like Richard I :)

You probably want St Edmund, King and Martyr then (as in Bury St Edmunds). He was English patron saint before George, and has the advantage of (i) being English (ii) actually existing (iii) not having been alleged to have killed mythical beasts. He was King of East Angular in the 9th century and martyred by the Danes. Mind you, his martyrdom and saintliness are somewhat dubious, but no less so than George. A disadvantage is that he would probably be represented by gory and tasteless depictions of his martyrdom - tied to a tree, peppered with arrows and decapitated - see for example St Sebastian. He should not be confused with that other kingly saint, St/King Edward the Confessor who was king of England in the 11th century.

Since his cross is white on a field of green, it would revise the Union Flag in an amusingly controversial way. Also certain English might not wish to align colours with the Irish, personally I'd be in favour of it, being one of the many Englishmen with a large leavening of Irish (and Dutch and German) in my ancestry.

He succeeded the delightfully named King Aethelweard, and the invading Danish army that did for him included the even more delightfully named Ivar the Boneless.

And some folk singers singing with acoustic guitars .. Playing Irish songs. :lol:

We had a great night dancing the morris and had a good sing afterwards in a pub that was serving 4 real ales and a "real" cider. The first ale I had was a Harvey's, after that the landlord filled my glass so I couldn't say what I was drinking but it tasted lovely.

In the midst of the singing session one of the pub regulars said, "oh sing us that song you did last time you were here, (last June) the one about her eyes shining like diamonds" - We duly obliged with "the Black Velvet Band!" :lol: It made me chuckle but even more so when one of the lads started humming the Londonderry Air (ie Danny Boy) straight after!

Makes you proud to be a true born English/Irish mongrel ;)

For what it's worth Caedmon, Hilda, Bede, Dunstan, Alfred and/or Edmund would be much more appropriate National Saints than 'ol Georgie.

Hm. Well in the same way that St. Irfry is the patron saint of Chinese take-aways, and St. Reatham is the patron saint of SW London, maybe St. Ickingbuttons should be the patron saint of concertina players.

Chri

Stephen, ... just to make you envious, my "local" Shepherd Neame pub, the Two Brewers, can offer:

Master Brew

Spitfire

Bishop's Finger

and generally a seasonal ale.

Peter,

Much to my astonishment and delight, the local supermarket here in Kilrush can now offer bottles of Shepherd Neame's Spitfire, Bishop's Finger, Whitstable Bay and 1698. Now if only I could persuade the pubs to do likewise ... :huh:

icon_jook.gif

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Though when it comes to car racing they've been doing it since 1903:British Racing Green. :)
I have always thought that British Racing Green is such an exciting name for such a boring colour! <_<
HERETIC!!! :angry:

(though of course Paul, you're completely right :D )

Well I like it! :P

Stephen's (green) car: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Step...bers/avatar.jpg

(We had a couple of dry weeks, for a change, so I made the mistake of washing the car last week. Why did I bother? :( )

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Re: Sheperd's Neame Spitfire

I saw this advert/slogan in a pub up in Leicetsershire last year:

"Sheperd's Neame Spitfire,

Just like like the Luftwaffe -

Downed all over England!"

(With apologies to any Germans amongst us.)

It was written on a chalk board by the way - I don't suppose thay'd be allowed to do an official one along those lines.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

Re: Sheperd's Neame Spitfire

I saw this advert/slogan in a pub up in Leicetsershire last year:

"Sheperd's Neame Spitfire,

Just like like the Luftwaffe -

Downed all over England!"

(With apologies to any Germans amongst us.)

It was written on a chalk board by the way - I don't suppose thay'd be allowed to do an official one along those lines.

Clive

Here's a link to the website, with apologies to other nationalities as well:

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/index.htm

Isn't it British Racing Green derived from green symbolising Ireland? (something to do with an early motor race run in Ireland I think).

I'm quite attached to St George and, it turns out, a quite suitable one for England at the moment as he's very well respected in Islam too.

I had a fantastice St George's night in Sheffield. 11 morris teams dancing for the lord mayor of Sheffield (Jackie Drayton) in the town hall followed by a pie an pea supper. There was morris dancing in the city centre on the Saturday too. We're all hoping that the next lord mayor will do the same next year.

There is an even better photo in the Windsor Castle pub Windsor, of the Queen and her sister pointing up in the air. The caption is "Achtung - Messerschmitt".

I prefer St. Edmund - the original patron saint of England. This St. George lark with his In-Ger-Land flag was foisted upon us by William the Conkerer in his Sagesse Normande (Norman Wisdom) because he won.