Gearoid's Playing Style.

hello to all,

I was listening to 'Tracin' last night which features Gearoid O'hAllmhurain with a fiddle player - a really great CD with nice tunes, not too fast, and not overly ornamented; and I wondered what style of playing Gearoid uses. His playing was understated, and I mean that as a compliment, does he play 'along the rows'? I'm sure someone out there has done a class with him and will know.

Thanks, Alan.

I've been to one of his workshops. If I remember correctly, he said that he uses the same basic fingering as Noel Hill, which they both learned from Paddy Murphy who developed it by trying to copy the sound of recordings of the playing of William Mullaly.

hello to all,

I was listening to 'Tracin' last night which features Gearoid O'hAllmhurain with a fiddle player - a really great CD with nice tunes, not too fast, and not overly ornamented; and I wondered what style of playing Gearoid uses. His playing was understated, and I mean that as a compliment, does he play 'along the rows'? I'm sure someone out there has done a class with him and will know.

Thanks, Alan.

Daniel has stated it just as Gearoid relates it. He's a cross-row player, but not one that leans toward a highly ornamented style of play. I've been through two five-day workshops with him.

Both Gearoid and Patrick Ourceau (the fiddle player on Tracin') were instructing at the recent Friday Harbor Irish Music Camp.

My 5 day workshop with Geroid left me with a similar impression as Daniel's and Bruce's: Cross row, Paddy Murphy influenced. I like the way Geroid uses fast and crisp cut notes. I felt he was more inclined to use a rh push C and pull D than Noel.

I have really enjoyed his "Traditional Music from Clare and Beyond" CD.

Greg