Introducing Myself

Not sure if this is the done thing here on this message board, but I have just joined up and I thought I'd say "hi".

Some of you may know me from melodeon.net or from Melodeons@Witney, and whilst the melodeon is my main 'folky' instrument, I have been playing concertinas in a mediocre sort of way for many years. In fact, I started off with a battered East German C/F anglo that someone gave when I was a teenager. The bellows were held together with gaffer tape, but it played and I learnt the basics which paved the way for my first Hohner melodeon.

But I do love concertinas very much indeed and I resolve to play them more. Not sure whether this is unusual but I play both English and Anglo quite happily and despite what people might say, I don't get confused between the two systems. The two systems are so different that it's like playing two instruments as dissimilar as, say, flute and fiddle.

I have come across people who strongly promote the English, being very dismissive of the Anglo, and of course vice versa. This seems very silly to me, as both instruments have quite different characteristics, their own strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages, and neither of them is 'better' than the other - just different.

And I have to confess I know next to nothing of the various Duet systems and probably at my time of life, I am content to let them remain a mystery and just sit back and admire the playing of those who have solved it.

Cheers,

Steve

Nice to hear from you.

Wish more on here would put up some information as to where they live and what they do. Most, seemingly, want to be secretive about it all. Even with funny Nomdeplumes. Even me. But mine has to do with the group I play with.

Had a go on an Crane Duet. Forget it.

Viva La Anglo !

All the best.

Chas

Edited by fidjit

I have come across people who strongly promote the English, being very dismissive of the Anglo, and of course vice versa. This seems very silly to me, as both instruments have quite different characteristics, their own strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages, and neither of them is 'better' than the other - just different.

Hi Steve, and welcome.

You are right, of course. As this is a Concertina Forum, we should be promoting all systems of concertina, and all types of music.

Regards,

Peter.

Welcome Steve............I think quite a few of us visit Melodeon.net but are "at home" on C.net so it's nice to have you here.

I couldn't agree more about the difference between the concertina systems............it's really HARD to confuse them.

Robin

Welcome Steve............I think quite a few of us visit Melodeon.net but are "at home" on C.net so it's nice to have you here.

I couldn't agree more about the difference between the concertina systems............it's really HARD to confuse them.

Robin

Yet, my typing has become absolutely dyslexci :( Mike

Hi Steve,

Welcome to C.net

I couldn't agree more.

Ayup Steve,

Welcome to CNet, I am a fellow double agent and we have met in *real* life at Melodeons@Witney the last two years and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Sheffield "Melodeonista" meals you have organised both times.

It's nice and busy in here even if I don't post regularly I always check in - there is always something happening :D

all the best,

Peter

Welcome Steve!

And just to prove that we're not above a little high jinx here...I must state in the strongest of terms that without a doubt "ENGLISH" IS THE ONE TRUE SYSTEM! (or at least the only system I can play:)

Now if you'll excuse me...it's lunch time and I'm working on "Smash The Windows"

Cheers!

James

Hi Steve

I am looking to make the reverse trip. I have been playing English 9 months or so and really enjoying it but have a yearning for a melodeon ( Spiers and Boden/ Ratcatchers gigs!) just need to find that bargain !

Regards

Trilby

Hi Steve,

Good on you - I can also swap from anglo to english mid-tune - we must be wired up wrong!

If you are Sheffield based, get yourself along to the Royal Hotel, Dungworth for the pie-eating and concertina playing there - we nect meet on 24th April.

Concertinas also feature at the sessions at the Rivelin - keep an eye on cnet for the next session.

Hi Steve,

There are a few South Yorkists on C Net, and a couple who are bi-concerligual, or ambi-tinerist!.

I am not sure if you are the Steve that I am thinking of, but welcome anyway.

Dave Elliott

Edited by d.elliott

Hi to Everyone again!

Many thanks for the welcome and the kind (and rude! ;) ) comments. It is nice to read some posts from some of my friends on here too. Glad I'm not the only one who seems mad enough to play both Anglo and English systems!

Brian - funny you should say that. I was thinking of giving you a call!

Dave Elliott - Hi! Yes, it is me you are thinking of - musician for Lizzie Dripping.

Have been busy with East Anglian melodeon players these last few days, but back in circulation in Sheffield now.

Cheers,

Steve

Glad I'm not the only one who seems mad enough to play both Anglo and English systems!

But isn't Anglo played in English Concertina style much of the time? I mean grabbing the notes from G row, alternating sides to keep smooth bellows direction or allowing smooth melody while helping it with chords?