Hayden Duet With Real Concertina Reeds

post-29-1175933420_thumb.jpgHere is a picture of the Russian reedplate.

Samantha

Thanks very much for the photo of the prototype Haydenskaya reed plate. Very informative, and hopefully very inspirational to some makers.

I counted 29 reed pairs. Is this the bass or treble side?

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the photo of the prototype Haydenskaya reed plate. Very informative, and hopefully very inspirational to some makers.

I counted 29 reed pairs. Is this the bass or treble side?

Thanks again.

Judging by the length of the reeds I think it is the bass. I should add that the layout plan is entirely the work of Inventor who was kind enough to share this information with me to enable my Russian friend to make a prototype.

Samantha

Judging by the length of the reeds I think it is the bass. I should add that the layout plan is entirely the work of Inventor who was kind enough to share this information with me to enable my Russian friend to make a prototype.

Samantha

Well, Inventor certainly earned his nickname on this one!

I wonder how he got the action to the reed pads located directly under the buttons?

Samantha

Well, Inventor certainly earned his nickname on this one!

I wonder how he got the action to the reed pads located directly under the buttons?

Clearly there is no need for 6 sides.

The picture shows the reeds for the left hand side which had 30 playing buttons plus air-valve this included two pairs of linked buttons and had 28 (not 29) pairs of reeds. It took me all my time for 3 solid weeks to get the action design right to get this number of notes into the small compact space, before Samantha returned to Russia; and as with all things to do with concertinas I never made a penny out of it.

Inventor.

The picture shows the reeds for the left hand side which had 30 playing buttons plus air-valve this included two pairs of linked buttons and had 28 (not 29) pairs of reeds. It took me all my time for 3 solid weeks to get the action design right to get this number of notes into the small compact space, before Samantha returned to Russia; and as with all things to do with concertinas I never made a penny out of it.

Inventor.

That's a pretty impressive number of buttons -- over 60 total.

I'm amazed you got linkages to pads in the center of the instrument.

Maybe some other concertina maker will show some interest in your design (hint, hope, hint).

Really, for me the Hayden Duet is the greatest thing that ever happened to concertinas. It's an easier instrument to learn than the other types (OK, my opinion, my neural wiring), and a widely available, good, low-priced Hayden could really take off in the marketplace.