Treasures Behind The Curtain

Dear friends,

When I visited Custy's Music shop in Ennis (Ireland) in July 2002 my (not to active) search for a 30 button Anglo ended after twenty years.

During the hours I spent in the shop in order to make my choice from the selection of Anglo's, I noticed people disappearing behind a curtain at the end of the shop. Very soon after that I could hear someone playing on a fiddle, banjo, etc.

While surfing on the internet a few days ago, I came across the web site of Custy's Music and I was happily surprised to find a special session-page

I found there a treasure of video's (including concertina playing). Most of them have been recorded in the shop of Custy's (probably behind the curtain). Some of the musician do not use their own instruments, but apperently just took one from the shops, as the price-tags are visible!

Only a few are recorded outside the shop, from which the recordings of Gerdie Commane and Mary McNamara are really my favorites. The combination of harmonica and concertina as shown by Mick Kinsella is very inspiring. It drove me directly to my attic to find an old harmonica in G and the device to enable hands-free harmonica playing.

Most of the video's are more direct accessible via: http://www.custysvideo.com/video/ (I guess this is an unofficial back-door to the web site).

Have fun and get inspired!

Henk

Edited by Henk van Aalten

And the offical "front door" address is:

http://www.custysmusic.com/mall/CustysTrad.../in_session.htm

I am a long time customer of Custys, mostly via mailorder as I live in Australia, and I have always found them to be friendly and very helpful.

Last September I finally made it Ireland, and visited the store in person. Althogh the store was quite busy, I really appreciated the time John took to talk to me about concertinas, and to show me his own Clare Concertina (made by Andrew Norman) which is just gorgeous :)

So next time you need a new CD, book or just feel like browse, I highly recommend Custys Music (this is an unsolitictored, unpaid endorsement - I'm just a very very satisfied customer :D )

Cheers

Morgana :)