"royal Concertinas"

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I guess that's like bringing coals to Newcastle.

Well, the latter can be done...

Ken Coles (who was assigned to the cabin "Newcastle" at Pinewoods last year! Mgmt there swears it was a coincidence.)

Well Peter I have to say I have been thinking.

You are perhaps a bit removed from the *geordie* scene to be called the

*singin' hinny's*

Just got to come up with something eh?

Sharron

Well Sharon, perhaps you should be getting out with your camera and tape recorder to the "Colpitts", "Cock 'o' the North", "The Angel", "The County" or wherever they have a proper Geordie session these days, and let us hear a bit of Northumbrian music and see a few players as I for one have become starved of a bit of true culture since being exiled to Sheffield for the last 20-odd years. :huh:

Pete

Well The Ship in South Shields is still going on a Sunday evening. I haven't been for a few years but I know it is still going strong with a very friendly bunch. I go to an Irish session on a Sunday so the two clash. The Turks has long since gone I believe.

Pete, I am sorry but I am playing only 99.999% irish tunes. Those ballads of death and sinking ships leave me a bit depressed, so I stick with the uplifting dance tunes instead. So, I am sorry to say the folk scene doesn't see much of me and my hubby now. There is a cracking folk club at Washington though, and if there has been an act on that appealed, then I have attended. Plus it is a Saturday night which has no conflict, there are no sessions to be found on Saturdays that I can find.

But oh how sad those songs are, some are quite beautiful, but sooooo sad :(

There are funny ones and rude ones too, but the sad ones seem to rule up here.

I am off out tonight for a few tunes, and Wednesday too I think, so I will come back home fulfilled and humming tunes to myself in my sleep.

Night night

Sharron

Sharron you must mean the Davy Lamp club at the Biddick arts center. I took my daughter Lucy there a few weeks ago after an evening on the Razz in Newcastle, Vin Garbutt was playing and it was packed. They had to tear the paper off the walls to let us in. When all over the country folk clubs are struggling in the north east the tradition still holds strong.

Sharron
Well Sharon, perhaps you should be getting out with your camera and tape recorder to the "Colpitts", "Cock 'o' the North", "The Angel", "The County" or wherever they have a proper Geordie session these days, and let us hear a bit of Northumbrian music and see a few players as I for one have become starved of a bit of true culture since being exiled to Sheffield for the last 20-odd years. :huh:

Pete

Pete, There was no shortage of Northumbrian tunes played at the last Royal, even if the players were not of Durham standard. I intend to play as much Northumbrian this month as well.