"royal Concertinas"

A music session for concertina players of all systems and abilities is starting at The Royal Hotel,Dungworth,Sheffield,South Yorkshire.The first session will be at 8.00pm on Tuesday 20th January 2004 and depending on support,fortnightly therafter.Dungworth is a small village to the west of Sheffield.The Royal Hotel is one of the famous Sheffield"carolling"pubs.For further details contact:-

Mark Davies

Tel:0114 2851479

Mobile:07850475067

Email:edeophone@aol.com

Apologies as this,in error,was inserted in the "Buy & Sell"section

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Mark Davies,

Hope with you that there will a good response and that this session will be repeated a fortnight later.

Have to travel to England abnout this time and wpuild like to attend.

Would you please advise in the forum, if or not there will be more sessipons.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

Hi Pete,

You may rest assured that all Accordions and Melodeons will be shredded at the door! :angry:

Dave

Now come on Dave, you've got to admit that a sensitively played melodeon can really compliment a concertina, just listen to the Moorcock Band. An accordion on the other hand can't really compliment anything, it generally just drowns it, admittedly more in some hands than in others. ;)

Pete

;) All righty, I want all you guys to stand up for piano accordions. Er well, put in a good word if you can not stand up. I guess some drinking may be involved and standing and holding instruments may be a bit much.

Sure wish I lived closer.

Helen :ph34r:

I want all you guys to stand up for piano accordions

Helen

Wel perhaps you could get one and remove one side of the bellows, fit some oars then sit in it while you row the Atlantic on your way to the session. Now there's some good words about an accordion.

Pete

Perhaps you should have name tags ready so that various members of the forum who don't already know each other can identify who they've been arguing with.

Instead of names, how about tags stating your most contentious opinion regarding concertinas? :ph34r:

I want all you guys to stand up for piano accordions.

Stand up and leave? ;)

Seriously, though, I think PA's are great instruments. It just took me a few decades to find someone who used his for musical cooperation, rather than competition.

Damn it - just a little too far away to get to on a Tuesday night! BUT - I might be up in Sheffield for a couple of weeks later in the year, so I'll try and get along then.

Clive.

PS. Do the pubs in question know what they are letting themselves in for ? However much you love concertinas there is no denying that 10 or 20 of them playing at once will be LOUD.

We don't argue, being grown men, we debate! then we sulk.

as for discordians, misnomered piano, well Mark did say Royal CONCERTINAS, so a discordian, even in mufti, will never get through passport control.

Dave

Hello friends,

I wish I could be there to meet you all in person. Knowing very little English music (or I should say, remembering very little from my early days as a concertina player while living in Wales and visiting around Britain and Ireland), I would get more out of listening than playing. With a "designated driver" and a few "designated players" I would be ready to enjoy a few cold ones. Sorry, lukewarm ones.

Now I hope you will forgive (once again) the thread drift, but given the title of this topic, I have to ask: Have any of you ever seen a "Royal Concertina?" In the only response so far to my search for a good quality, restorable "German" made 20 key with steel reeds, a student of mine generously made one available for me to purchase. This one will be a very interesting study project, but not really practical to restore; it has reeds a little too far gone for my purpose (to recreate the original sound including temperament). Some of them are all the way gone (broken off)... But it was once a very beautiful and well-made instrument of its type. It's hexagonal, with fretwork reminiscent of Jones (though fancier), chip-carved edge molding, numbered bone-capped buttons, 6 fold leather bellows, and (gold? brass? copper?) plated metal corners to the bellows frames, that wrap around and simulate the gold tooling of a fine anglo bellows. These metal corner brackets are where the words "Royal" and "registered" are stamped, along with crown and surrounding wreath. Clearly a continental product made for export to Britain, and much better than most such. I bet there are more like it over there somewhere and one might make a good mascot for the group if national pride would permit it....

Enjoy the session,

Paul