Can Anyone Help? Re: Gordon Cutty

:)

Hello everyone,

My uncle Gordon Cutty, made a record for the bbc way back and I wondered if anyone could help me find a cassette recording or CD of this record.

My father did have a copy on a cassette recording and when he died it was given to me.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it having moved out here to Australia 5yrs ago.

It was a wonderful recording with some classical pieces and I'm sure there was a jig and maybe a tango too.

Would be wonderful if anyone out there can help me.

He was a lovely man and very talented.

Unfortunately I didn't follow him in playing the concertina - instead for me it was the piano and nowadays the keyboard playing and composing.

Thank you for your time

Shirley

Edited by cutty

Hi Shirley,

Gordon made an LP that was released on Topic/Free Reed, A Grand Old-fashioned Dance in the mid 1970s.

One track is still available on the Free Reed 25 yr celebration triple CD set 'This Label is not Removable', see http://www.free-reed.co.uk/frdcd18.

I've got tape and CD copies somewhere that I can copy for you, if someone in Oz or nearer doesn't oblige.

But I seem to remember Gordon playing with a family member in the early 1970s, perhaps his son? Or is my memory playing tricks?

best wishes ..wes

Hallo Shirley

I have been investigating archive recordings of unpublished Gordon Cutty recordings and may have traced one, to be included in the forthcoming English International collection .If this is the case I will contact you further.

Al

Thanks for the info Wes and the offer.

A guy here in Oz has replied and he's gong to copy the LP for me but thank you it's appreciated.

Gordon and Mary didn't have any children so it could have been one of his pupils.

best wishes

Shirley

I came to know Gordon Cutty through attending Concertina Conventions in the early to mid 1970s.He was a friend of two of the players who I played with and who taught me namely Harry Beard of Coventry and Harry Hatton of Haydock.Lancashire.At that time I played mostly the English concertina.Gordon was a lovely man and great player.He taught Marie Robson and her sister to play.I will have some unreleased recordings of Gordon's playing,probably recorded at a Concertina Conventions.Neil Wayne of Free Reed records,who were involved in releasing Gordon's long playing record may also have some additional recordings.I am regular contact with Neil and will make enquiries.Email me if you want me to do track down some recordings.

Mark Davies

Hi Mark,

Yes, my dad used to talk of him going off to the conventions.

I have lovely memories of going to Uncle Gordons house and him playing the concertina, I was only a child and was amazed how he could play. I'd have a try and could get some kind of tune but it wasn't that good.

That would be wonderful if I could get some cassette or CD recordings.

Thank you so much.

Take care

Shirley

• 3 months later...

I should probably declare an interest here: as the result of a poor decision a few years ago I am a director of Roots2Music, an excellent if not very profitable retailer of folk music CDs.

We recently had an announcement that a CD of recordings by Tommy Williams and Gordon Cutty is to be released late in July. Cannot locate the notification now but I think this is one combined CD of both men.

The same notice announced that Alistair Anderson's "Concertina Workshop" (an LP that had something to do with my being here today) will become available on CD in November. I know that a lot of people have "bootleg" CDs of that but hope they will feel obliged to purchase a legal version.

Needless to say, Roots2Music expect to have both of these as soon as they become available.

Roger, with his roots hat on

The recordings of Gordon Cutty unfortunately have not materialised and it is possible in the light of the information regarding the re release of the G C Album we shall not include G C on English International ,but we shall keep trying to the last minute.

English International is currently due for release at Sidmouth (1st Week in August).More details to follow when I get them.

Al