Spate Of Nice Instruments On Ebay...

catty

• 2 weeks later...

I had an eye on that one too, unfortunately the seller must have gotten an off-auction offer.

I wish more duets would come up on the auction block. I see Barleycorn is tempting us with another fine duet.

Also I see an unrestored duet currently up for consideration. You may have to settle for an unrestored box, and than have it repaired as the only commercially availble duet right now is the rather oafish hayden (blah, I think id rather play the accordion).

Perhaps someday an enthusiastic wide-eyed concertina builder will shout "By Gum!" and set to work to roll out a line of new well crafted duets for that eager burgeoning market.

Then again, theres always the ever digilent Chinese work force -

Old man Stagi almost got it right...

I emailed the seller last week, shortly after the auction had "ended". He paid good money for it years ago, in restored condition (or had it restored?). No one had placed a bid, and his reserve was set quite a bit higher than the opening bid. Discouraged by this, he pulled the auction. I believe it is still for sale.

Edited by John Sylte

Hmmm...it was re-listed on eBay, but the re-listing now says "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale." An odd way to try to sell something...and eBay bidders often wait until the last day or hour (or minute!) so I don't quite see the logic of pulling an active listing twice.

I emailed the seller last week, shortly after the auction had "ended". He paid good money for it years ago, in restored condition (or had it restored?). No one had placed a bid, and his reserve was set quite a bit higher than the opening bid. Discouraged by this, he pulled the auction. I believe it is still for sale.

I had an eye on that one too, unfortunately the seller must have gotten an off-auction offer.

I wish more duets would come up on the auction block. I see Barleycorn is tempting us with another fine duet.

Also I see an unrestored duet currently up for consideration. You may have to settle for an unrestored box, and than have it repaired as the only commercially availble duet right now is the rather oafish hayden (blah, I think id rather play the accordion).

Perhaps someday an enthusiastic wide-eyed concertina builder will shout "By Gum!" and set to work to roll out a line of new well crafted duets for that eager burgeoning market.

Then again, theres always the ever digilent Chinese work force -

Old man Stagi almost got it right...

Hi,

The Wheatstone 46 button duet on sale on ebay from Chris Algar was mine. I traded it in a few weeks ago for a larger Lachenal Edeophone. I also have another 46 button Wheatstone duet which I am keeping.

Its a really nice box, lovely reeds, with a rich mellow sound. The only down side that I found was that it has no air button.

Chris told me a few weeks ago that he had hardly any McCann duets in stock, but had an awful lot of Crane duets.

Just checked on ebay - 12 hours to run, 3 bids, latest one £516. It hasnt reached the reserve as yet, and still isnt close to the original price I bought it from Chris 2 years ago. Still if anybodys thinking of going for it its worth having.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about a lack of newly made duets. Being that there is an upsurge in interest at the moment, I think there would be a market for this.

Best Wishes

David.