Converting A Rochelle To G/d

Just a thought - possibly a project for the future - but how would I go about converting a C/G Rochelle to G/D? Would it be a complicated project or essentially just getting some (Accordion or Melodeon?) reeds and swapping them for the current ones (I'm sure it's not that straight-forward :( ). Also, where would one get the replacement reeds - probably Antonelli or similar?

- W

Just a thought - possibly a project for the future - but how would I go about converting a C/G Rochelle to G/D? Would it be a complicated project or essentially just getting some (Accordion or Melodeon?) reeds and swapping them for the current ones (I'm sure it's not that straight-forward :( ). Also, where would one get the replacement reeds - probably Antonelli or similar?

- W

If:

- you want to leave the G row where it is (inside row -- i.e. D/G not G/D)

- you don't want to drop the G row a full octave...

- you're not interested in returning the instrument to C/G at any point...

- you're resigned to replacing the reeds if necessary...

- this isn't your only concertina...

I'd just start tuning the C row up. You only need a gapper, a good file, an exacto knife, and a tuner to do the job. Be slow, careful, and deliberate with your work, and it'll probably take less than a couple hours. Best case scenario, you'll have your D/G by the end of the day. Worst case, you'll have to order a few less reeds than originally planned... That's what I'd do, with a cheap instrument. And if any of those "ifs" are unacceptable, it may be just as expensive to buy another (used?) Rochelle for donor reeds...

If:

- you want to leave the G row where it is (inside row -- i.e. D/G not G/D)

- you don't want to drop the G row a full octave...

- you're not interested in returning the instrument to C/G at any point...

- you're resigned to replacing the reeds if necessary...

- this isn't your only concertina...

I'd just start tuning the C row up. You only need a gapper, a good file, an exacto knife, and a tuner to do the job. Be slow, careful, and deliberate with your work, and it'll probably take less than a couple hours. Best case scenario, you'll have your D/G by the end of the day. Worst case, you'll have to order a few less reeds than originally planned... That's what I'd do, with a cheap instrument. And if any of those "ifs" are unacceptable, it may be just as expensive to buy another (used?) Rochelle for donor reeds...

Thanks John - I hadn't thought about doing it that way, but really I was thinking of dropping the G one octave and moving it's row so I don't have to change fingerings between a C/G and G/D. If anybody has any idea what a set of reeds would cost that would be interesting too.

- W

p.s. What's a "gapper"?

Gapper = one of those dealies you use to measure spark plug gaps and point gaps in older cars. Isn't that what everyone calls them? :) It's kinda like a short metal tongue depresser I guess. It's what you slip between the reed and the shoe to file the reed.

I agree, if you're wanting a true G/D, I definitely wouldn't take that route. Now I'm curious what others will tell you about finding reeds. I've got an older three row Stagi that I'd like to convert to a D/C/G for kicks.

- W

Woody

One fundamental problem that might make the task bigger than you were expecting is that the replacement reeds will all be a fifth lower than the existing reeds, so the new reedplates are each likely to be several mm longer than the originals. You should be prepared for some woodwork as well as reed work.

Sources of reeds - Antonelli, Cagnoni or Binci could almost certainly produce the reeds, but might not be willing to supply one set. Also their reed quality is likely to be much higher than the original, but the construction of the jackie is probably such that they would not be fully able to express their quality in improved playability.

I'd try to find an G/C Hohner Erica or pokerwork and take the reeds from that. They have two reeds per note, so you would have some spares. G/C melodeons are pretty unpopular in the UK, so can sometimes be picked up cheaply.

Gapper = one of those dealies you use to measure spark plug gaps and point gaps in older cars. Isn't that what everyone calls them? :) ..

Feeler gauge (UK)

Same here, as it was when I was on the farm up in Michigan. I can see my old wrestling coach/shop teacher having a fit if someone asked for the "gapper."

Alan

Woody

One fundamental problem that might make the task bigger than you were expecting is that the replacement reeds will all be a fifth lower than the existing reeds, so the new reedplates are each likely to be several mm longer than the originals. You should be prepared for some woodwork as well as reed work.

Sources of reeds - Antonelli, Cagnoni or Binci could almost certainly produce the reeds, but might not be willing to supply one set. Also their reed quality is likely to be much higher than the original, but the construction of the jackie is probably such that they would not be fully able to express their quality in improved playability.

I'd try to find an G/C Hohner Erica or pokerwork and take the reeds from that. They have two reeds per note, so you would have some spares. G/C melodeons are pretty unpopular in the UK, so can sometimes be picked up cheaply.

Would a set like this one do the job?

this one do the job?

The set is cool and unused for many years, but it's East German Weltmeister. I had DDR-made Weltmeister 5 row, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

On the other hand FRG-made Hohners of that period are prized items. I'd just place an order for new set from Weltmeister. Any sizes, any tunings, made in Czeck Republik with very reasonable quality. Not your robust Hohner ones, but still good.