Anglo Workshops In The Usa

Just to let you know that I will over in the US during April, and teaching English-style Anglo at the Button Box workshop weekend (April 14th: http://www.buttonbox.com ); at a workshop in Cincinnati organised by Cnetter Greg Jowaisas (evening of April 26th: contact Greg via this forum); and at Elderly Instruments, Lansing, MI (April 28th http://www.elderly.com/events ).

When I say "English-style Anglo" I mean the method employing primarily right-hand melody and left-hand chording as discussed previously on Cnet. I'll be concentrating mainly on repertoire ranging from morris dance to English country dance / ceilidh music (much of which is good for contra as well), but I also play slow stuff, tunes of my own and a bit of ragtime, and might throw one or other of those in. I also use Anglo a lot for singing; the Button Box have me down for a specific class on that, and I'm always happy to discuss it on request. Greg is planning to run an additional beginners class for which some two-row instruments will be available for loan. I should also say that my instrument is in C/G, and it really works better if you can arrange to bring one in those keys, preferably with 30 buttons minimum.

If anyone wants to find out more about what I do, or come along to a regular gig (which will be more song-based and including melodeon and guitar as well as Anglo), you can find out more info and locate the tour dates here.

See you there,

Brian

We are all excited about and looking forward to Brian's workshop in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.

The workshop is scheduled for 6 to 10pm Thursday April 26th.

Plans are for an early evening introductory workshop for beginners and an intermediate workshop to follow.

There will be a unique opportunity for the interested but concertinaless to attend. I'll have 10 reconditioned vintage 20b C/G concertinas available for those who have been wanting to try the instrument. This might be a chance to give a "scholarship" to a spouse or loved one!

Intermediates are advised to bring their own 30b (or more) C/G instrument.

Brian will also be in concert the evening of Wednesday April 25th. The exact details of of this performance are still being finalized. The venue may take the form of an intimate house concert or mushroom to a mini British folk music festival. Whichever forum, it will be our pleasure to host Brian who is one of the premiere performers of Traditional English songs and music.

Contact me for workshop or concert details by clicking my name in the upper left corner and then using the forum's email.

Greg

Just to let you know that I will over in the US during April, and teaching English-style Anglo at the Button Box workshop weekend....
Yes - can be found directly here. Registration just opened for it. Looks like an exciting time! Check out the workshop descriptions though we still have one teacher to be confirmed yet.

-- Rich --

Just to let you know that I will over in the US during April, and teaching English-style Anglo at the Button Box workshop weekend (April 14th: http://www.buttonbox.com );

See you there,

Brian

Brian,

So pleased that you will be at the NE BB workshops. I'm planning to attend as a civilian and look forward to seeing you again. I hope you have a great US tour.

Jody

Just to let you know that I will over in the US during April, and teaching English-style Anglo at the Button Box workshop weekend (April 14th: http://www.buttonbox.com ); at a workshop in Cincinnati organised by Cnetter Greg Jowaisas (evening of April 26th: contact Greg via this forum); and at Elderly Instruments, Lansing, MI (April 28th http://www.elderly.com/events ).

See you there,

Brian

All,

I sent these questions to Brian via email to avoid excess chatter, but think this might be of general interest also. The questions are from me, the replies from Brian.

Cheers,

Del

- - - -

Del Question: I am in the fortunate position of living halfway between The Button Box and Elderly Instruments. I plan to attend your portion in Sunderland. However, I wonder if attending the Elderly event will be more of the same, or somewhat different?

BP Reply: Hi Del, I haven't decided on the details of either programme, but will try to offer some different material if you or anyone else is going to attend both. Since I've never given concertina workshops in the US before (as opposed to UK, where I give them regularly and am always having to find new material) there is plenty of stuff available to fill two separated days. >

- - -

Del Question: I also will order some of your CDs, to have them in hand and worn-down in the next few weeks. Do you have a recommendation on which to go after?

BP Reply: You should go for "Anglophilia" if you don't have it already, which is my only CD so far devoted completely to concertina. Elderly also carries "Different Tongues", although that has more in the way of ballads and melodeon/guitar stuff, and not much Anglo. I'm not sure what the Button Box have in stock right now. "Squeezing Out Sparks" and "Beast in the Box" both have a mixture of melodeon and concertina material, other titles are more song-based. You can also order from the website http://www.harbourtownrecords.com/peters.html although they might cost a bit more from there. Having said all that, the stuff I give in workshops is not necessarily material from previous albums, since when recording I usually try to play the more difficult end of my repertoire. I look forward to meeting you. If you've any more questions or comments, it might help others if you added to the thread on C.net.

So pleased that you will be at the NE BB workshops. I'm planning to attend as a civilian and look forward to seeing you again. I hope you have a great US tour.

So we'll be meeting on both sides of the pond, then, Jody (I'll be seeing you at Sidmouth and possibly elsewhere in England). That will be fun.

Del, thanks for posting our question /answer exchange. I'm more than happy to discuss possible workshop material in advance.

Brian

April 28!!! I am really excited about Brian Peters's workshop in Lansing, MI. This is the FIRST time I have EVER found any kind of concertina workshop within several hundred miles of where I live (Kalamazoo, MI). Instead, I've gone to folk schools in Canada (which is actually where I first met Brian and was impressed). So I'm thinking that with this 11:00 to 4:00 workshop, that's about the same amount of time that I'd have in one class over a week's time at a folk school. So this is really great because it's only about 80 miles away!! Actually, I would travel even farther.

Brian is also doing a couple of concerts in Michigan (Lansing the night before the workshop and Grand Rapids the night of the workshop). I'm planning to do the workshop Saturday during the day and then route back through Grand Rapids for the evening concert.

Currently, I play Irish-style-Anglo, but what I'm now looking forward to is learning to do more with the chording that is characteristic of English-style-Anglo - such as you would find in the playing of William Kimber's morris tunes and dance tunes. I love both Irish and English style Anglo, so here's my chance to learn English-style Anglo.

Here is a short-cut URL to the Elderly Instruments page that gives the most detail about Brian's workshop there: www.elderly.com/events/2007/event_page?eid=557 (This is the page that gives a really impressive biography as well as workshop details...)

Hope this workshop draws more concertina players and interest in concertina playing to this part of the country!

Nancy

April 28!!! I am really excited about Brian Peters's workshop in Lansing, MI. This is the FIRST time I have EVER found any kind of concertina workshop within several hundred miles of where I live (Kalamazoo, MI). Instead, I've gone to folk schools in Canada (which is actually where I first met Brian and was impressed). So I'm thinking that with this 11:00 to 4:00 workshop, that's about the same amount of time that I'd have in one class over a week's time at a folk school. So this is really great because it's only about 80 miles away!! Actually, I would travel even farther.

Nancy

you're lucky, its going to be 270 miles for me, but i cant wait either! i'll see you there.

Here is a short-cut URL to the Elderly Instruments page that gives the most detail about Brian's workshop there: www.elderly.com/events/2007/event_page?eid=557 (This is the page that gives a really impressive biography as well as workshop details...)
Here, I've made a clickable link out of it:

http://www.elderly.com/events/2007/event_page?eid=557

Elderly has had this notice up for some time, since Brian called it to our attention. I have visited Elderly often, but I don't know how one actually signs up for a workshop, and the web site doesn't seem to say anything about it. I sure those of us who are travelling a long ways would like to be sure they can get in, so if anyone deciphers this, do post it here. (I am busy elsewhere that day, so the rest of you have fun!)

Ken

...I don't know how one actually signs up for a workshop, and the web site doesn't seem to say anything about it. I sure those of us who are travelling a long ways would like to be sure they can get in, so if anyone deciphers this, do post it here. (I am busy elsewhere that day, so the rest of you have fun!)

Feeling somewhat responsible (for my hand in posting the link) I had a look. All I can say is that they've got a toll-free telephone number (888-473-5810 from the USA only) so I would think the first step would be to call them and let them sort it out.

I think the easiest way to sign up for Brian's workshop at Elderly is to just call Elderly Instruments at 517-372-7890 or toll-free 888-473-5810 and pay in advance by credit card.

Their website does give these two phone numbers. I looked at how to order stuff electronically, and I don't see how that would work since there aren't any stock numbers for the workshop - probably because it's a one-time, special event. Anyway, you can't go wrong with a phone call... Just tell them "I want to sign up for Brian Peters's workshop on April 28..."

Nancy

Elderly has had this notice up for some time, since Brian called it to our attention. I have visited Elderly often, but I don't know how one actually signs up for a workshop, and the web site doesn't seem to say anything about it. I sure those of us who are travelling a long ways would like to be sure they can get in, so if anyone deciphers this, do post it here. (I am busy elsewhere that day, so the rest of you have fun!)

Ken

Hey, Long Distance Traveler from Chicago!!! Welcome to Lansing..

You're right. I do feel lucky to be only 80 miles from Elderly Instruments - not just for Brian's workshop, but also because we get to make a pilgrimmage there every month or so. (It's a great day trip for us.) If you've never been to Elderly, you will find that this venue itself is a treat and a worthy travel destination for any folk music and dance enthusiast. Elderly is named for the fact that they buy and sell used ("elderly") instruments as well new ones. I'm not talking junky old instruments either. Some are ultra-high-end antiques, like imagine some mandolin for the early 1900's for four or five figures, etc.

It's a HUGE specialty store for folkies. They tend to have a lot more stringed instruments (guitars, banjos, mandolins...) than reed instruments. But they always have some squeeze boxes, etc. They always have good prices on CD's, videos, and DVD's. Like most stores that carry CD's, theirs are arranged by genre and artist, but unlike most, their genres are like "Irish", "old-time"... instead of "rock and roll." Their alphabetized artist CD's are folk artists, not mainstream musicians. AND they also even have sections categorized by instrument - including "concertina," several different styles of fiddling subdivided into specific styles... They have a huge stock of books. Regular lessons on a variety of folk instruments... Impromptu jams break out sometimes in the show rooms... Very, very cool place!

If you've never been to Elderly and want to see more about the store itself, click to http://www.elderly.com/information.html , and click around for hyperlinks to pictures and articles. This all loses a lot in the translation. It's just a really, really fun place to go.

And by the way, Brian's Friday night concert - the night before the workshop - is 8:00 at The Ten Pound Fiddle in East Lansing. You can get directions and concert information at www.tenpoundfiddle.org. Then Saturday night, after the workshop, Brian is booked for an 8:00 concert for the Grand River Folk Arts Society in Grand Rapids (www.grfolkarts.org ).

Nancy

you're lucky, its going to be 270 miles for me, but i cant wait either! i'll see you there.

I just had a look at the registration form for the Northeast Concertina Workshop and discovered that the description of Brian Peters' English-style Anglo workshop, which interests me a whole heck of a lot, has a note saying "C/G desirable." I have a question, and my question is this: just how strong is this here desire? I'm a beginner with a mere six months or so on my G/D Morse anglo, which will be my only concertina until I'm feeling a bit more wealthy. Will the workshop's being geared toward the C/G be a serious handicap to my getting the most out of Mr. Peters' teaching with a G/D instrument and, er, somewhat limited skills?

Edited to add: I see the initial post also says a C/G is a good idea--might have asked my question earlier if I were paying more attention...

Joshua

Edited by jdms

I just had a look at the registration form for the Northeast Concertina Workshop and discovered that the description of Brian Peters' English-style Anglo workshop, which interests me a whole heck of a lot, has a note saying "C/G desirable." I have a question, and my question is this: just how strong is this here desire? I'm a beginner with a mere six months or so on my G/D Morse anglo, which will be my only concertina until I'm feeling a bit more wealthy. Will the workshop's being geared toward the C/G be a serious handicap to my getting the most out of Mr. Peters' teaching with a G/D instrument and, er, somewhat limited skills?

Edited to add: I see the initial post also says a C/G is a good idea--might have asked my question earlier if I were paying more attention...

Joshua

You know, someone (like me, for instance, send a PM) could bring a C/G for you to borrow for the workshop. I think the issue may be teaching a set of fingering tricks and having everyone play the same tune (rather than in harmony in fifths). I know when someone had a G/D at Noel Hill school he would show them new tunes separately, since what he taught the rest of us wouldn't give the tune in the customary key.

... I'm a beginner with a mere six months or so on my G/D Morse anglo... Will the workshop's being geared toward the C/G be a serious handicap to my getting the most out of Mr. Peters' teaching with a G/D instrument and, er, somewhat limited skills?

I think trying to take the workshop as a beginner with a G/D would be a definite handicap, both for you and the rest of the class.

... I'm a beginner with a mere six months or so on my G/D Morse anglo... Will the workshop's being geared toward the C/G be a serious handicap to my getting the most out of Mr. Peters' teaching with a G/D instrument and, er, somewhat limited skills?

I think trying to take the workshop as a beginner with a G/D would be a definite handicap, both for you and a bit of a problem for the rest of the class as well. The chord patterns that you will be shown will work on the G/D, but they won't be in the same key as the C/G players will get. When you get to cross-fingering between rows with suggestions to push this button and pull that one - again it would put you into a different key than the C/G players. With your D/G, you would need to learn different patters for both melody and chords to play in the same keys as the C/G players, and that would almost be like requiring the instructor to teach two different workshop in the same time frame, which would take away from the other workshop attendees.

Ken Coles offered the possibility of a loaner instrument, and if that doesn't work out, I would think that you might be able to rent or borrow a C/G from The Button Box. Everything you learn, chord patterns, cross-fingering, etc. - you could still apply to your G/D after you got home. You'd just be playing in keys that are different from the ones that were in the workshop.

Good luck.

Nancy

Having attended a couple of Brian's workshops over the years I would encourage you to borrow a C/G and go. Although as has been said a G/D wouldnt work so well in the workshop, what you would learn is directly transferable to the G/D and will be massively useful to your playing. This is because Brian tends to base the workshop on the key of C, so you can transfer what you learn to the key of G on your G/D with ease. If you are interested in the English style then there's really only Brian and John K doing workshops, so grab the chance while it's there!

Chris