Triskel 30 Button Anglo

Hi, you can find in this web a Concertina FAQ, which will give you all the informatiopn you might need.

Your questiuon sounds to me very gereic and thus difficulkt to answer.

If you wish you may direct cobncrete questions to me .

My address : JoachimDelp@aol.com

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

I Googled "Triskel concertina" and came up with just a couple of sites that mentioned it. It looks a fairly typical low-end accordion-reed based 20 button anglo for about $200. Wooden-ended, mercifully free of Mother-Of-Toilet-Seat pearloid. If $200 is all you can afford, fair enough, but be aware that you will breach its limitations pretty quickly.

Chris

William,

have received your e-mail but have no time to reply today. Will do it tomorrow.

But meanwhile I have read Chris reply and what he says confirms the little bit I knew :

It is produced in Germany, by one of the last producer of German Concertinas.

The quality prioce / relationship will be o.k. but impossible to expect that the 200 or 250 US$ Cioncertina can compare with the medium class you mention.

For a starting piurpose it could work.

Regards

Joachim Delp

William Posted on Jan 4 2004, 05:24 PM

Has anyone had any experience or have any opinoin about this instrument? I live in a small town and do not have ready access to a music store that sells concertinas. Hoping to do some word of mouth research.........

I guess I must know more about the Triskel concertina than anybody else, seeing that it is my project, and I have been working on it, when time & money allowed, over the last three or four years. However, any listings on websites are premature, as they have not even gone into production yet ! (Though there are about a dozen pre-production instruments that have been sold, and are in circulation.)

The intention is to build an affordable concertina that plays well and is repairable, it is not meant to be the best instrument that I could design/make. The response to the few examples, that have been seen thus far, has been extremely favourable. A common comment from players trying it out has been "it plays better than a Lachenal".

The present model is a 30-key anglo, with walnut ends, 7-fold leatherette bellows, accordion reeds and authentic Wheatstone MayFair actions (old stock from the '50's). The price (with case) is expected to be in the region of Euro699.00, but I will not be taking any deposits until they really are in production.

To that end (and also to have more time to look after my elderly parents) I am in the process of selling my shop, McNeill's in Dublin, and I am trying to buy a house in Co. Clare, where I intend to start manufacturing "The Triskel", and carrying on/making available my researches on concertina history, maybe even setting up a bit of a museum (?).

I hope this posting clarifies the matter !

William,

I had problems with my computer.

I looked myseklf in google and found the page of the Amecian Dealer of the instrumetn.

Before reading Stephens post, my comment would have been :

I must rectify muy previous post, since have been confused.

I had notice about this instrument speaking with Juergen Suttner and also with a Company which was supposed to be the manufactuer.

Chris we arew not speaking about a 20 button 200 Dollar instrument

We are speaking about a Wheatstohne, perhaps low model reproduction, with 30 keyas and a serious action.

William, this cannot be compoared to the Stagi,whioch are nice instruments in my opinion. I owned several.

Practicaklly all of the modern Concertinas are uysing Accordion reeds, only a few have accordion reeds which are manullay tuned by the manufacturer.

I myself own a medium range Concertina about 1750 Euros and it does not sound as the old vintage instrumetns. Some of the new ones are coming close.

Anmyway a Accordion reed in the Concertina body and Concertyina reed chambers sounds good.

Stephen hss certaily not done this effort, just to produce a cheap, low quality instrument.

Well Stephen is explaining better than me.

I tried to fiund hinm in order to advise about this discussion and give him a chance to explain, without knowing jhim personally.

My impression is that his project is interesting and I wouyld like to test one.

If he can sell you one or the American dealer has one, I would probabnly buy it, certaionly being a beginner.

There are other nice instruments I might prefer but they cost double price at least.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

I played one of the prototypes at the McNeill's shop in June 2001 and was favorably impressed. The action is supposedly based on that in the Wheatstone Mayfair concertinas and it's pretty good. Since then I've moved up to a Morse which is nicer yet, but of course a lot more costly too. If the Eu700 price point can be met I think the instrument will be a great value, worth the relatively small premium over a Stagi for the action alone.

I had some more detailed comments which I can't lay my hands on right now, having had a hard disk failure since I wrote them. I can try to dig them up if there is interest, though of course they may be out of date by now.

regards, Tom