New Concertina Web Site.

Go to www.concertina.ca .............................................and if any of you are wondering how I found this web site,it was NOT from surfing the web (I 'm too busy practising !!) ..............it was reviewed in one of Canada's daily newspapers, the Globe and Mail.

Robin

I found it looking for Frank Edgley's site ... and have made the same mistake twice since.

Lucy

From the publishers web site.

I guess my imagination is much more limited than I thought. I wonder if anyone has suggested to Ms. Winemaker that there might be people with metal plates on their shoes dancing around while all that expanding and ccompressing is going on.

What is the meaning behind the title Concertina?

A concertina is that thing that expands and collapses upon itself in order to produce music, and that very image of something self-contained, complete unto itself, expanding and compressing seemed to mimic not only the structure of a session in the dungeon, but the structure or movement of the book as a whole. And the word 'concertina' makes me think of a concert, a miniature concert, and at some point into the writing of the book I realized what I had was a collection of musical moments, of concerts in a vacuum. Nor is it an accident that I wrote Concertina to the rhythm of Bach's Goldberg Variations, and that the writing style is in itself musical.

My Webpage

• 2 weeks later...

I think the title has something to do with the one or several of the characters bellowing out when some of the action takes place.

I'm just wondering if I can get this book in a leather binding (oooohh!!).

I'm pretty sure from sales reports I've seen, that this is currently the dominant concertina title out there right now.

Better get cracking!!!!

You would'nt want to be in a bind when this goes out of print.

Perry

(A Bookseller)

Anyone planning to "whip" out and buy a copy? ;)

Chris

This book has generated some interest so its possible an interview with the author may also be of interest. Tomorrow afternoon - Monday March 5th the CBC Toronto Afternoon program – “Here and Now” (weekdays from 3 - 6 p.m.) has an interview with Susan Winemaker. She is “a self-described good Jewish girl from Toronto. She moved to London, trained as a chef, and then ended up working for many years as a dominatrix. It is a peculiar story told in her no-holds-barred memoir, Concertina.”

I'm not computer literate enough to provide a direct link but if you "google" "CBC Radio Toronto", and click on the live feed for 99.1 CBC Radio One between 3pm and 6pm EST you may catch the interview.

Earlier this evening I e-mailed the program and asked the host if he would ask about the connections between the humble little musical instrument and her memoir as a dominatrix.

Thom