Double Cases, Pros And Cons

Hi

you can fit 2 concertinas in an 'explorer' 4820 (I think that's the number) case but it is very very heavy - probably indestructable but HEAVY (and expensive) I believe that you can get a harness to enable it to be carried like a rucksack -but that is also expensive :angry: but it will hold 2 trebles or 1 treble and a baritone

chris (ever searching for the ideal case)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

you can fit 2 concertinas in an 'explorer' 4820 (I think that's the number) case but it is very very heavy - probably indestructable but HEAVY (and expensive) I believe that you can get a harness to enable it to be carried like a rucksack -but that is also expensive :angry: but it will hold 2 trebles or 1 treble and a baritone

chris (ever searching for the ideal case)

Buy two identical rectangular Concertina cases and then construct a rigid outer case into which to fit them. Could be the best of both worlds ? No need for padded lining for the outer case.

Buy two identical rectangular Concertina cases and then construct a rigid outer case into which to fit them. Could be the best of both worlds ? No need for padded lining for the outer case.

Or, to save weight (and work), just bolt the two identical single cases side by side, with spacers between so that the lids don't interfere with each other. One thick bolt in each corner should do the trick. Make sure that the bolt heads and nuts are covered by the blocking.

Discard one handle, and attach the other so as to overlap the cases. (Or, to be able to separate the cases, connect the two handles with a strap.)

Cheers,

John

...the new case would withstand a severe battering that my ply cases simply wouldn't.

I don't know why a double plywood case wouldn't be as tough as a single plywood case.

Not implying that it would - the new (double) one is aluminum and steel all round, my other cases are plywood, glue and tolex.

I don't think there is the ideal concertina case. If you're carrying around £6,000-8,000 worth of concertinas a good double case is well worth the money. I often go out with two concertinas and two (or three) flutes in their cases. I don't want to tote around two concertinas in two cases, plus flutes. Having a fairly light and manageable plywood double purpose-built concertina case makes life much easier than juggling two cases or than lugging around a heavy double case. I have a double bongo case as well, which can take two concertinas and two flutes when I have to haul it all. It's my Haul-It-All.

Personally, I opted for not a Double, but a Treble Case!

Thanks to a tip from a member here, { Thanks Mike! ;) } I checked out the Swan Flight Cases on eBay.

The down side is, as you would expect, that it weighs rather a lot, but as I will only ever be carrying it to & from the car, that's fine by me.

If I ever found myself wandering around a Festival, I certainly wouldn't be carting around 3 Concertinas anyway!

However, for our weekly sessions & the odd gig it's just grand & saves me faffing about with three cases.

So, after padding it out nicely inside, my Æola Baritone sits at one end, my Æola Tenor Treble at the other & wrapped in a piece of strong fabric, my wee Lachenal Anglo sits quite snugly in the middle.

Cheers

Dick

How robust does it have to be? My double case is of similar construction to a standard single case, and after many years use (including occasionally doubling as a seat in crowded sessions) it is still in good condition, and provides more than adequate protection for the instruments.

You only need a bomb-proof case is you will by travelling and entrusting your instruments to baggage handlers. Having once been behind the scenes at a brand-new and well-equipped airport and seen how baggage is handled, this is something I'd try to avoid if at all possible.

How robust does it have to be? My double case is of similar construction to a standard single case, and after many years use (including occasionally doubling as a seat in crowded sessions) it is still in good condition, and provides more than adequate protection for the instruments.

You only need a bomb-proof case is you will by travelling and entrusting your instruments to baggage handlers. Having once been behind the scenes at a brand-new and well-equipped airport and seen how baggage is handled, this is something I'd try to avoid if at all possible.

I suppose a lot has to do with how careful you are, but just like when you are driving, it can come down to how careful the other guy is!

Of course we've all seen eejits at festivals carrying around their instruments like THIS!

Mind you, I wouldn't fancy having to pay for a flight case for that! ;)

I'm sure, no matter how much or little we pay for our Concertinas, we all take great care, but I always worry about the eejit in the Pub with absolutely no idea of how robust they really are, never mind the value of them.

After all, none of us want them to end up like THIS

Oh yes & here's a picture that'll probably give you NIGHTMARES! :blink: :wacko: You have been warned!

Cheers

Dick

What I started doing was putting both concertinas - in their respective cases - inside a padded gig bag made by Gator cases called a "double bass drum pedal bag". It's black canvas, very heavily padded (but light), and it holds both concertinas in their individual cases. It's around $50. It's great! It zippers open from the top, so you can just set it down and pull the instruments out without ever having to take the cases out of the bag.

My 2 concertinas are both Morse Anglos with the hard cases they came in. I would double check the size, because they may make other sizes of the same bag.

- John Mock

post-5713-1240150248.jpg

Right John- I also have one of these. Very handy indeed. There is room inside as well for a flute or two and even a sandwich. And I believe it's waterproof. The only problem is that it won't accommodate two large single concertina cases.

Following a link someone posted here earlier I picked up a fairly large double bongo gig bag. It holds two concertinas in their cases (That might be a baritone and a tenor-treble, so those are large concertina cases), has a pocket for music and has a bit of room left over for instrument stands. I've found it useful for lugging way too much stuff to rehearsals and gigs. It keeps everything together; the cases themselves provide the protection, though I think that the gig bag is waterproof. I wouldn't use that solution to the problem of checking concertinas on an airplane, though. That's a problem I haven't faced--I've driven everywhere I wanted to take a concertina so far.

• 1 month later...

My Wheatstone Æola Baritone English & my Wheatstone Æola Tenor/Treble English actually go in the same case as my G/D Lachenal Anglo:

2667120600102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

2335103290102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

2956985820102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

2145524120102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

Like Larry, I don't fly, so this case only ever travels in my car.

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

No-one has suggested it yet - I have a hand-me-down double case to carry an anglo and an english, - anyone else into playing both?

As it says, I am a Heavyweight Boxer so I am on the lookout for a lighter box.

Why people carry a C/G and a G/D around (or even 2 C/Gs), I sometimes wonder. Can't the one concertina play in more than 2 keys?

Edited by geoffwright