Double Cases, Pros And Cons

Though I'm guessing this is a long dead thread, I thought I'd share my discovery of the day - I have now acquired a G/D and a C/G and want to be able to cart both about with me to sessions. Having looked into various double case options they all seemed a little prohibitive price-wise. I took a bit of a risk on a double bass drum pedal bag off ebay, and having now received it it is a perfect fit for my two hard cases - like a glove and means the two seperate cases zip together into a single unit. I imagine you can pick one of these up for about $20-30.

The weight of two hard cases may be marginally more than that of a custom double but I'm really happy with the flexibility of just zipping a box shaped bag around the two cases. And I don't have two spare cases kicking about...

the bag I bought was this one, thought there may be a number of other options if you search for double pedal case or bongo case.

http://tinyurl.com/4g2f57

hope it helps someone.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bongo gig-bag that is quite nice, although not a lot of protection. It seems the soft cases are more convenient, while compromising on protection. Re the inquiry by the OP on convenience, I generally go to a gig with as many instruments slung over my shoulders as I care to lug, so double cases are a godsend. I'm currently seeking a luggage trunk to pull upon a wheeled carrier--I figure I can load a couple of guitars and banjos into it in addition to small instruments, mics, stands, etc.

I have a bongo gig-bag that is quite nice, although not a lot of protection. It seems the soft cases are more convenient, while compromising on protection. Re the inquiry by the OP on convenience, I generally go to a gig with as many instruments slung over my shoulders as I care to lug, so double cases are a godsend. I'm currently seeking a luggage trunk to pull upon a wheeled carrier--I figure I can load a couple of guitars and banjos into it in addition to small instruments, mics, stands, etc.

the bonus with the bag I bought is that the two single hard cases fit inside snugly, don't move about and you effectively then have a double hard case with a canvas outer and shoulder straps.

I made my own double case. It's not pretty but it works.

It looks like a crude tool-box which I suppose reduces the chance of somebody stealing it.

I made it because I was tired of juggling two cases - plus a flute - and I admired how easy

it was for Mark Davies to come to a session with a C/G and a Bb/F - ready to take on all comers.

Next time I wil buy one made by a professional case maker.

At Mrs. Crotty I didn't use the double case but carried everything around in a coal sack --

two concertinas, in two cases, and two flute cases.

It was a real pain but nobody steals a coal bag --

except maybe in the middle of an Irish summer.

Coal bag...I thought the Guinness made see Santa in the back of Crotty's. On a serious note about double cases, yes they are heavy, yes they do cost money to purchase, but. My case by Greg Jowaisas allows me to grab a secure handle that protects two valuable assets. I know it is sturdy, and I even had to sit on it during a session on a porch a few weeks ago. I think that the idea of only taking what you need and will use to a session or gig makes the most sense. Most musical events I go to only call for a C/G concertina,or a concert flute in D, however if I have a gig I take both C/G and a Bb/F, just like I use a few different keyed whistles. The audience and I really get tired of everything in the same key. ( my opinion)

• 3 weeks later...
I made my own double case. It's not pretty but it works.

Hello David,

I'm just about to try & adapt an old, but solid, wooden box which was used for a set of Uilleann Pipes case, into a case for my three Concertinas ..... C/G, G/D & my English.

Have you any tips regarding how to divide up the space, measure each Concertina, what material is best to use for lining etc etc?

e.g. I have read that some felt actually sheds lots of fibres, which could stick reeds!

Cheers

Dick

I too, on seeing this thread, got a bongo gig bag which will hold two of my concertinas in their cases, or a concertina in its case and a large satchel of music. It gives some protection against the weather and makes it a bit easier to transport everything I need for rehearsal or a gig. Thanks for making the suggestion. I got mine on e-Bay for $8 + $12.50 shipping.

I'm currently seeking a luggage trunk...

I gave up on the trunk idea--haven't found one, and now I'm thinking that they're not long enough to accomodate my quiver of stringed instruments. Whilst seeking, however, I acquired a "granny"-grocery cart -- a collapsible steel wire basket on wheels. Last week, I did two performances at either end of a large apartment complex; I was able to load into the cart: resonator guitar, openback banjo , mandola, concertina, music stand, harmonicas and assorted gear. Easiest gig yet.

• 3 months later...

I see American case makers mentioned on this thread, but tell me, who is there in the UK who would make me a Double Case?

I need one for two large Concertinas ~ a Tenor/Treble & a Baritone?

I was going to adapt an old wooden box myself, but it turns out it is just to shallow to allow for enough padding to fit the Baritone in comfort.

Cheers

Dick

• 2 months later...

Once again, I'm resurrecting this old thread again - maybe this should be in buy and sell, but I saw these on ebay and bought one. This thing is absolutely bomb-proof, I would trust it in the hold of an aircraft if I had to. Again, it makes a good seat, has plenty of room for blocks and pads, a central divider and is absolutely pro quality. The price however was amazing and it arrived next day! (less than a standard plywood concertina single case, or a deluxe bag). As a pro musician, I use a lot of flight cases of varying quality, but the hardware and construction of this is amazing.

http://tinyurl.com/ccutfb

If in doubt, I have added a couple of photos of my two concertinas inside said case. Available in other colors I believe (mine is red). Disclaimer - I am simply a happy customer, no links to the seller. Iron maiden stickers are an optional addition, ahem.

next step is to add a shoulder strap and put a few foam blocks in. Oh yeah - an important note, the lid is removable, so some care must be taken with the hinges.

post-315-1239986047_thumb.jpg

post-315-1239986070_thumb.jpg

Once again, I'm resurrecting this old thread again - maybe this should be in buy and sell, but I saw these on ebay and bought one. This thing is absolutely bomb-proof, I would trust it in the hold of an aircraft if I had to. Again, it makes a good seat, has plenty of room for blocks and pads, a central divider and is absolutely pro quality. The price however was amazing and it arrived next day! (less than a standard plywood concertina single case, or a deluxe bag). As a pro musician, I use a lot of flight cases of varying quality, but the hardware and construction of this is amazing.

How heavy is it?

I continue to experiment, and what i'm finding is that carrying two concertinas in a single container seems harder than one over each shoulder.

This weekend I had 2 Morris tours. On the first, I carried both concertinas in their hardshell cases in a SINGLE lightweight duffel bag with shoulder strap. After a few hours I was staggering.

THe next day I carried them individually, one slung over each shoulder. I found it far less tiring, even though the total weight was about the same.

How heavy is it?

Bloody heavy, and that is I guess, an inevitable downside of a "Flight" case. My problem is really number of hands. To do a solo gig I need to be able to carry two concertinas and a guitar, plus a bag full of stuff and to be able to chuck it (not too literally, but sometimes not far off) into a car or van. I found the one box over each shoulder was fine if I wasn't carrying the massive guitar case or backpack.

That said I'm fairly confident the new case would withstand a severe battering that my ply cases simply wouldn't.

I have a Storm Case for my instrument. It weighs next to nothing and not much short of a full-out nuclear attack is going to give it a problem.

Ian

I've looked at Storm and Peli cases but can never work out which model I need to put two concertinas in when shopping online.